D&D 5E Tools for dungeon design

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I haven't run an actual dungeon crawl in about three years because that's not what my table is looking for. When I do run dungeons now, I design them following the "Five Room Dungeon" concept. Here's a decent overview: https://roleplayingtips.com/rptn/rpt156-6-methods-making-dungeons-interesting/

Basically a dungeon has about five challenges of specific sorts, much like some of the conventions of a three act play. This keeps it from being a grind.

Don't let "room" trip you up though - for example in the last dungeon one "room" was a maze. I didn't make them map it, just tell me the strategies, skills and and resources they wanted to use. Based on that it was a bit like a skill challenge from D&D 4e to determine what hazards, traps and encounters they had during it and how long it took.

As a matter of fact I rarely bother mapping it - descriptions of the types of rooms they are going through and such is sufficient. Choices like "which way do you go at the T" that have no information to make the choice aren't meaningful, and if you do have information are basically automatic - at my table that's handled more by an overarching dialog instead of at a decide-each-choice one.

"So you've told me you think the ritual chamber is at the center. Do you want to try to head there most direct route you find?"
"No, I want to make sure we don't leave enemies behind us to attack from behind."

The five room dungeon concept isn't for all tables, especially ones that are looking forward to the extended crawl of exploration, hazards and encounters. But it's an interesting viewpoint on it that you can mine for ideas even if not used in whole.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Very cool stuff.

I generally just use GIMP with the DungeonMapMaker script. Works fantastic for banging out quick dungeon maps.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I have a number of software programs: Campaign Cartography, Dungeon Builder (for Isometric dungeon designs), Map Forge (battlemap focus), and others. But for a quick dungeon, I'll use Dungeonography by Inkwell Idea. It is very simple to use.

I am also backing Saga World Builder on Kickstarter, which is a system of modular tiles and plastic removable and reusable "stickers" for furniture and other items.

I also buy pre-made maps and battlemaps from Drive Thru RPG. I highly recommend 0one's PDF products.

I particularly look for PDF products that I can print to battlemap (1 sq=1 inch) scale without any fiddling. Kobold Press's Book of Lairs PDF is a great example of a battlemap book done right.

Hussar

Legend
How did you do that?

Since most of the icons are simply png files, you can drag and drop them straight into Pshop or Gimp. At least, that's how I do it. To be honest, I haven't used Campaign Cartographer, so, maybe there are other issues there, I don't know. But, I do have a pretty extensive library of objects cadged from Maptools and Dundjinni.

Miladoon

First Post
Very cool stuff.

I generally just use GIMP with the DungeonMapMaker script. Works fantastic for banging out quick dungeon maps.

I have been at cartographers guild for 5-6 years and only saw the link to the dungeon mapmaker script two days ago thanks to this post. You are right, way easy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases