• No, I don't use digital tools

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • No, I don't like subscriptions

Votes: 40 17.9%
  • No, the one-time cost is too high

Votes: 25 11.2%

Jonin

First Post
I didn't say I wasn't going to purchase any books.The core books are a given on day 1 considering the price and just to have a digital edition for quick searches.The question for me is how many more will I purchase. Well see how it shakes out.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
The subscription is kinda pointless unless you buy the books or have a ton of homebrew classes and such.
Not for me it isn't. With the PHB, DMG, MM, Volos, SCAG & SKT, I can run my campaign from one site, with one interface/noteboook at the table. Eventually when the campaign tools are expanded to include things like the initiative tracker, the only thing I'll need to bring to a game is my notebook. All searchable, clickable, linkable, and I can edit things on the fly, references with hover overs like conditions, spells, etc. in monster entries. As far as I'm concerned, this is close to the holy grail of digital D&D that I've been waiting for, for over twenty years.

1) printing my character sheet - while digital tools are fine if I forget the sheet, or I'm rushed (heading directly to the game after work), I still want to bring the sheet with me & expect my players to do the same.
It's coming. At the end of the character creation process it even tells you that.

darjr

I crit!
Not for me it isn't. With the PHB, DMG, MM, Volos, SCAG & SKT, I can run my campaign from one site, with one interface/noteboook at the table. Eventually when the campaign tools are expanded to include things like the initiative tracker, the only thing I'll need to bring to a game is my notebook. All searchable, clickable, linkable, and I can edit things on the fly, references with hover overs like conditions, spells, etc. in monster entries. As far as I'm concerned, this is close to the holy grail of digital D&D that I've been waiting for, for over twenty years.

It's coming. At the end of the character creation process it even tells you that.

Dude! Read what I wrote.

akr71

Hero
... Eventually when the campaign tools are expanded to include things like the initiative tracker, the only thing I'll need to bring to a game is my notebook...

An initiative tracker would be pretty cool. Even more so if it rolled for everyone. I say "roll initiative" and multiple people shout a number at me and I miss some one cuz it all comes at me at once, or people stare at their character sheet thinking about what they want to do with their turn. I like the idea of semi-random initiative, but putting control into the players' hands slows the game down ;)

Tobold

Explorer
The subscription is kinda pointless unless you buy the books or have a ton of homebrew classes and such.

Same here. I will buy books and use D&D Beyond regularly, but I haven't found a compelling argument yet why to pay for a subscription. I don't need more than 6 characters or other people's homebrew stuff. Why should I subscribe?

Having used D&D Beyond in the beta I also find it fairly ridiculous that there is no search function for the rules compendium. I mean the situation that frequently comes up at a table is a rules question, like how exactly jumping works, or darkvision. Any decent digital product would solve this with a keyword search. D&D Beyond up to now doesn't even have an index, so information ends up harder to find than in the physical books.

Al2O3

Explorer
Yesterday I realised that I do like the DDB compendium to quickly find spells, magic items and other things with filters. I still probably won't pay, but I might end up using DDB from time to time and then look for an item or spell in the physical book.

Sent from my Huawei P10 plus

Remove ads