Next RPG to invest in, need some help.

So I've been in the market for a new RPG. Not just something to pretty up my shelf, something my players and I will enjoy. So far my group is all about 5e. They enjoyed the story and world in Shadowrun but not the rules, too crunchy. So let's preface this question a little, I own quite a few RPGs ranging from D&D 1e to 5e, Pathfinder, Palladium games, Savage Worlds, Cypher system games, Mutants and Masterminds, the Age system games, etc. I'd like to ease my group in to something in a different genre. What I've had my eye on so far is as follows:

Coriolis
Starfinder
Savage World: Rifts
Mutant Year Zero

I have Starfinder on subscription at the moment but I'm still on the fence. I need some input. Learning a new system is not hard for me but the system for my players needs to be semi-5e-ish or fairly easy to grasp. I don't have any experience with the above systems but they all seem interesting to me. I need some community input!

ccs

41st lv DM
I think you're starting off by asking the wrong people.
Start the conversation with your group. Find out what they're interested in trying. Afterall, it doesn't matter how highly one of those come, if the group says "No, we're not interested in (genre)" you're just decorating your shelf....

That said;
The little bit of Savage Worlds I've played seemed relatively rules-lite. No idea what combining it with Rifts does to it.
Starfinder - Apparently paizo did some streamlining to the PF system to make this. But it's still PF at it's core. So I bet it'll still be plenty crunchy.
The other two: ?

Expand your horizons. Play something different than what you're used to (genre, agenda, resolution mechanics). You may be pleasantly surprised. How about any of:

Ten Candles
Blades in the Dark
Dogs in the Vineyard

It wasn’t on your list, but if everyone liked the Shadowrun setting but not the rules, what about Shadowrun Anarchy? It’s a rules-light, stripped down version that can be run as just that, or as a more narrative game. I think it’s awesome and solves a lot of the problems I have with Shadowrun.

Of the list, assuming you have your players’ buy-in, I’d go with Starfinder,

Yaztromo

Explorer
If you want to try rule light systems (lighter than Savage Worlds) and sci-fi settings, I'd suggest having a look at the newly published Stellar Adventures, that work on a simple and straightforward 2d6 engine.
An introductory adventure is about to be published as well.

There is also a sort of "Powered By the Apocalypse meets Traveller" (insofar as I can tell in my brief look) in Uncharted Worlds that was recently funded on Kickstarter. These sorts of space exploration games are coming back en vogue in all of the CRPG, Boardgame and TTRPG markets.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
If you know and loke Savage Worlds, then Savage Rifts takes that and cranks it to 11 and beyond. I have heard people run Shadowrun (and Eberron) on the Savage World system too.

The new 7th Sea just came out. I have never played it, but am reading through it now. The setting seems really cool.

Dungeon World is pretty rules light.

Cypher System looks interesting.

If you like Star Wars and narrative play, the FFG Star Wars system is awesome. Soon to be put out in a generic system.

Try and get your hands on the Marvel Heroic RPG by Margaret Weiss if you like supers. Her Cortex system is pretty good for rules light narrative play, and is out in generic, as well

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

mflayermonk

First Post
13th Age is great. If you like Fantasy RPGs this one combines all of the best aspects from other games.

I also recommend all the Sine Nomine games-Stars Without Number, Scarlet Heroes, Godbound, Silent Legions.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases