D&D 5E Eldritch Knight

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
In my campaign, I allowed EKs to pick one of abjuration or evocation and one other school of choice. Because I figured it would be more fun for the player.

On the other hand, I'm running the game in Mystara and only elves can be EKs and no other race can be EKs to simulate somewhat the flavor of the setting. So I figure if I'm taking choice away from elves on the one hand I'll add it somewhere else.

Interesting. Do you have Bladesingers in this game or just the Elvish EKs?

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Heh. That gnome battlemaster I mentioned has a +2 to Intelligence - for a 14, making it my second highest score, tied with Constitution - and I have no abilities or skills that use Int except, I think, the alchemist's supplies.

LOL - I would say that Intelligence as the prime stat would be less than optimal for the battlemaster. I guess you should have made him an EK!!! :p Sounds like you had a fun character though and that's all that matters. I like the less optimized characters that have some quirks to be honest. As long as they're effective and contribute while 'shining' every once in a while, I'm good for the most part.

guachi

Hero
Interesting. Do you have Bladesingers in this game or just the Elvish EKs?

The short version of what I told the players was "all elves be must be magical". They have to be a spellcaster of some kind.

But no one owned SCAG and no one wanted to be anything from that book. I would have allowed it, no problem, though.

hejtmane

Explorer
From running my games the EK was probably the 2nd best tank in the group the Totem Barbarian with rage, shield and good stats is hard to beat because they soak up so much damage. But with Shield and Absorb Elements (from EE) and at higher levels blur or mirror image I find they make better tank types than the Battle Master who I find to be the best one at pumping out damage with the tactics.

I have had two different EK in my group one with Polearm (10 int) and one with Two Handed weapon added 2 levels of Wizard for Divination and the Luck feat and they both have had no issues putting out damage or effecting the game they play different but they have shined. I can say the only character that felt wanting of the fighters at my table was the champion and one had a terrible day and never landed a crit talk about a sad panda he was making hits just not getting crits I think the biggest issue is the power that would make the roller coaster ride smoother for champions survivor or superior critical should have been moved lower in the chain either one of those at 10 instead of the second fighting style would have made the class better imo

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
From running my games the EK was probably the 2nd best tank in the group the Totem Barbarian with rage, shield and good stats is hard to beat because they soak up so much damage. But with Shield and Absorb Elements (from EE) and at higher levels blur or mirror image I find they make better tank types than the Battle Master who I find to be the best one at pumping out damage with the tactics.

I have had two different EK in my group one with Polearm (10 int) and one with Two Handed weapon added 2 levels of Wizard for Divination and the Luck feat and they both have had no issues putting out damage or effecting the game they play different but they have shined. I can say the only character that felt wanting of the fighters at my table was the champion and one had a terrible day and never landed a crit talk about a sad panda he was making hits just not getting crits I think the biggest issue is the power that would make the roller coaster ride smoother for champions survivor or superior critical should have been moved lower in the chain either one of those at 10 instead of the second fighting style would have made the class better imo

Thanks for the information hejtmane! It's good to hear the EK held up well. The poor champion - lol!!

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
So question to folks. Would allowing Transmutation vs. Evocation 'unbalance' this class. As best I can tell, it shouldn't but I was wondering what are other's thoughts on that? It seems to fit better 'thematically' also...

gyor

Legend
I thought a Death Knight subclass would be an interesting compliment to the EK. Instead of Evocatiom and Aburation, Necromancy and Divination, but otherwise like the EK.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Hmmm - interesting idea gyor. It would be one way to go about it I would think. The necromancy school though does sound thematic. Circle of death would be a cool spell for the Death Knight. The only issue I'd see is that the number of necromancy spells are somewhat limited.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So question to folks. Would allowing Transmutation vs. Evocation 'unbalance' this class. As best I can tell, it shouldn't but I was wondering what are other's thoughts on that? It seems to fit better 'thematically' also...

You would have to look carefully at defensive spells or spells that enhanced attack power.... too many of those can over-power the EK (although the concentration mechanic helps a ton)

Aldarc

Legend
Hi Folks,
I was thinking of playing a Dragonborn Eldritch Knight using a greatsword. I've read mixed reviews both on this subclass and this subclass with the Dragonborn. While I don't need to be overly optimized, I also don't want to be below average either (although in 5E that's probably less of a worry than in other versions of the game). I was just curious as to people's thoughts and any things to consider going this route. Thanks!!
Perhaps you can also see if your GM would be open to making a sorcerer-variant (i.e. Charisma) of EK that caters better to how a Dragonborn would approach magic?

Remove ads