D&D 4E Recreating the 4E shielding swordmage

Lenaen

First Post
I really enjoyed my genasi swordmage in 4E and for a largely 5E game with a few homebrew components I'm trying to recreate as many of the character beats as possible. I'm looking to fulfill the role of defender in the party, with the occasional opportunity for combat control tricks. We don't really use marking, so the Aegis of Shielding piece has been particularly challenging.

One of the homebrew pieces is that we each get a special talent or quirk and I chose Weapon Bond, as per the Eldritch Knight class feature. This talent will evolve over the course of the campaign, and I'm hoping it will lead to me teleporting to my weapon rather than the other way around, with chucked weapon at a baddie attacking an ally -> teleport to it and run interference addressing the lack of the Aegis. Also, casters can use their casting stat for martial attacks, so that's Intelligent Blademaster taken care of. Lastly, there's homebrew races being used so don't worry about that aspect, I'm solely looking for suggestions on the class side of things.

Here's the options I've come up with. I'd prefer not to multiclass in the hopes of finally getting to play with some high-tier character options, but maybe for the right sorceradin I'd make an exception.

Eldritch Knight: Probably my best bet, especially with Intelligent Blademaster baked in. Not as many spell options, but I feel that what I'm describing above leans more heavily into the martial side of things. Because I'm already starting off with Weapon Bond that feature would be morphed in some way TBD (possibly speeding up when I could access teleportation tricks).

Wizard:
The Schools of Abjuration (Projected Ward) and Conjuration (Benign Transposition) both have features relevant to a swordmage, but I feel the loss of weapon and armor proficiencies is too much. Might work with Fighter 2-3 and the remainder in Wizard.

Stone Sorcerer (UA): Stone Aegis is clearly a love letter to swordmages, but I worry in the long run I'd miss the extra attacks and ASIs that fighters get. Metamagic doesn't seem to be as useful for this build, but there's the option to burn sorcery points into more spell slots for extra smites. Earth Master's Aegis comes waaaay late, would have softened the blow if it expanded to two allies around 12.

Thoughts about these or other classes I haven't considered are very welcomed. Thanks for reading!

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The stone sorcerer seems like it's intended to be a fill-in for the Swordmage, but it's just missing too many parts to make it a melee fighter, it seems like it's almost liek half a class and you're supposed to multiclass to get the other part.

But with the weapon attack cantrips from SCAG you don't feel the loss of extra attack quite so much.

mellored

Legend
I find ancient or vengence paladin to be the closest. You can "shield" with your aura, "mark" with compelled duel, and teleport with misty step.

For Stone Sorcerer or Abjuration wizard, you want to pick up booming blade. Which gives you melee damage, a "mark" of sorts, and doesn't rely on weapon proficiency. Consider cleric 1 for armor, as it gives you spell slots and provides some nice low-level stuff like healing word and guidance. The downside is needing 13 Wis.

Lenaen

First Post
Thanks for the comments, I agree an extra attack would definitely address a lot of my concerns with using a class other than fighter. If the class makes it into Xanathar's hopefully we see some additional melee benefits. Good call on Compelled Duel, Mellored, I'd forgotten about that. Will certainly be picking up Booming Blade.

I think I'm going to try out Stone Sorcerer for a level or two, the DM is liberal with rebuilds until we hit 5. I mostly play in AL so having the opportunity to try out something outside the lines doesn't come along too often.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases