[4E] Want to learn 4th edition D&D? Or try it out again?

firesnakearies

Explorer
I'm going to be running some short 4th edition D&D adventures on Roll20, each stand-alone but tied together into a sort of mini-campaign called Sands of Slavery. It will be set in Calimshan, in the Forgotten Realms, around 1479 DR. Roleplaying will be a priority, and I'm a DM who likes to really play out the social encounters with full conversations, voice act the NPCs, etc. There will also, obviously, be lots of intense tactical combat. I already have two or three set players, but I intend for there to be a party of six PCs. All of the characters are pre-generated.

​I want to run these sort of "D&D Encounters" style, meaning that each session is its own stand-alone thing, individually scheduled, without a requirement or expectation that the same group of players will always be there. It's a drop-in, drop-out kind of situation, where you can come to whatever sessions you can make it to, and don't have to worry about missing some. There is a set party of adventurers, information on which will be provided below, and each time you play you can choose which one to play. If you've been playing a certain character from the start (or since earlier than anyone else at the table that session), you can always have priority choice of that character, but during sessions that you miss, someone else will be playing your chosen character. Or I will, if there are fewer than six players.

​I intend for this to be a teaching experience, as well as a fun gaming experience. I have two regular players from my other D&D campaigns who will probably be there for every session, and a large part of why I'm running this "mini-campaign" (which has the possibility to extend into something longer-term) is to teach them 4th edition. So if you're brand new to 4E, or even to D&D, that's perfectly fine, and you can learn to play in this game. The first session, especially, is going to have a lot of time spent on explaining game concepts and mechanics. I have introduced 4th edition to many new players, including children, who seemed to pick the game up fine. So don't be daunted, it's really not hard to learn.

​Additionally, this game will be streamed live on Twitch, and posted to YouTube. So if you're not okay with that, then this isn't the game for you. We won't be using webcams, but you absolutely have to have a working microphone, and Discord. This is meant to be a close simulation of "being around the table" in real life, so I don't want people typing much. I expect people to explain their actions and speak as their character using their actual voice. I do not expect you to do an accent or anything like that, unless you want to. I will be doing accents for NPCs. Probably badly. Mute your mic while laughing at me. Or dont, I can take it.

​A lot of people throw hate on 4E, and say many bad things about it. Don't listen to them. It's a great game. Very balanced, very tactically rich and satisfying. I think 5th edition might be, overall, the BEST version of Dungeons and Dragons, but 4E is my personal favorite. 3.5 is good too, but I don't think I ever want to play it again, after DMing a very long, very complicated, very high-level campaign which I didn't especially enjoy running. I've played and DMed a lot of every edition except for 1st edition AD&D, and I still think 4E is a worthy entry in the line. I think it's good that they dialed back to a lot of the classic roots with 5E, it fits the heritage of Dungeons and Dragons more, but I loved the innovative things they tried with 4th.

​Anyway, don't let the naysayers hold you back, come and try it if you're curious. You don't have to commit to anything more than a single session at a time.

​Here is a little information sheet that I made about the party of PCs for these games, so you can see which one(s) you might be interested in playing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36QdUsGU_nVYnlJcTB5am1VQ0E/view?usp=sharing

​We're looking at starting as soon as this Saturday, sometime in the afternoon probably. I'm in Pacific time. But the first session hasn't been set in stone yet. And also remember, you can still get in on this even if you can't make it to the first session. So let me know if you're interested, and also which character or characters you like the look of the most.

​I look forward to hearing from you!

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
​A lot of people throw hate on 4E, and say many bad things about it. Don't listen to them.
True, and good advice.
It's a great game. Very balanced, very tactically rich and satisfying.
It's still D&D, so that's relative to other editions of D&D. If you've never tried D&D before but are not unfamiliar with the concept of a TTRPG, 4e won't seem that remarkable to you - it's a decent game, fun, not badly broken, with a lot of material.
If you'd played D&D for many years before, 4e either seemed like a revelation or an abomination.

I think 5th edition might be, overall, the BEST version of Dungeons and Dragons, but 4E is my personal favorite.
No accounting for taste. ;)
5e's probably got the best business plan and fan relations of the WotC editions, though. It focuses on familiarity to long-time fans, and is successful with them.

3.5 is good too, but I don't think I ever want to play it again, after DMing a very long, very complicated, very high-level campaign which I didn't especially enjoy running.
I'll happily play 3.5 (or 3.0, better yet, actually), when I have the chance, but, yeah, wouldn't want to tackle running it again.

firesnakearies

Explorer
I feel like the things in 4E that might be broken are minor issues of math, easy to fix with simple adjustments. Whereas the things that are broken in a lot of other editions and games are huge, systemic design issues, that you'd have to radically alter the game mechanics to fix. I still like other editions of D&D, but I found 4E the most elegant, and the most pleasure to DM. It's probably the worst representation of the core legacy of D&D, but as a standalone game, without thinking about how "D&D-like" it is or isn't, it's really quite well-designed. My opinion, anyway.

firesnakearies

Explorer
We have had three sessions now, but we still typically don't have a full group of players. Our next session is this coming Sunday, the 13th, at 11:00am Pacific time. We might be able to take one more player.

Remove ads