D&D 5E Characters for Tomb of Annihilation

Iskande

First Post
When Tomb of Annihilation comes out I am planning on playing a Moon Druid to take advantage of all of the dinosaurs that will be in the region (and I've been wanting to play one for a while).

Based on on what we know of the adventure so far, what are you planning on playing through it that you think will work well in that campaign. So far it sounds like a rather deadly adventure with how much they mentioned death saving throws and tweaks to them in the stream of Annihilation and the plot involving resurrection magic not working correctly.

neogod22

Explorer
When Tomb of Annihilation comes out I am planning on playing a Moon Druid to take advantage of all of the dinosaurs that will be in the region (and I've been wanting to play one for a while).

Based on on what we know of the adventure so far, what are you planning on playing through it that you think will work well in that campaign. So far it sounds like a rather deadly adventure with how much they mentioned death saving throws and tweaks to them in the stream of Annihilation and the plot involving resurrection magic not working correctly.
I'm not sure, probably end up running it since I play tested it and a few of the ppl in my group don't want to play it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

CapnZapp

Legend
So far it sounds like a rather deadly adventure with how much they mentioned death saving throws and tweaks to them in the stream of Annihilation and the plot involving resurrection magic not working correctly.
The game needs much more than a death save bump or a raise dead limit to become significantly more challenging as I see it.

I'd treat the deadliness talk mostly as marketing bluster or at least background atmosphere detail.

Things that truly would have made the adventure "deadly" would include any effort to actually impose 6 or more encounters per long rest (such as significantly restricted rest options) combined with some effort to actually make those encounters count for something.

(While the occasional easy encounter for story-telling purposes is fine, it is entirely insignificant from a challenge perspective. Either do not include easy challenges at all in the daily total, upgrade at least half of each day's encounters one step easy->medium->hard->deadly, or do both)

:)

Edit: see this thread for an actual, complete, rules proposal:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?568931-deadliness-and-the-Tomb-of-Annihilation

Last edited:

If it’s anything like the Origins’ D&D Open, my barbarian was the last one standing (though he too died). The pair of rogues were able to accomplish a lot, too (even if the one was the first to die).

neogod22

Explorer
I can't say much, but there are challenges, and new rules for trekking in the jungle, and of course the encounters inside. There are other surprises too. I'd you DM runs this right, don't get attached to your characters.

CapnZapp

Legend
I can't say much, but there are challenges, and new rules for trekking in the jungle, and of course the encounters inside. There are other surprises too. I'd you DM runs this right, don't get attached to your characters.

The main question:

Does it start with regular Sword Coast adventurers?

Either it starts in Chult, and getting there is as simple as "a friendly cloud giant whizzes by in his Ubercastle" or "you were born here"... Or the level 1-3 intro is the journey and reason for going there.

This is the Question that I guess is most important to anyone like me trying to run random low level adventures until Sept 22...

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

fjw70

Adventurer
The new kids group I am running now is going through the Caves of Chaos. I plan for them to be 4th level by the end of August and will take a break when school starts up and pickup with Tomb of Annihilation when it is released on DDB.

neogod22

Explorer
The main question:

Does it start with regular Sword Coast adventurers?

Either it starts in Chult, and getting there is as simple as "a friendly cloud giant whizzes by in his Ubercastle" or "you were born here"... Or the level 1-3 intro is the journey and reason for going there.

This is the Question that I guess is most important to anyone like me trying to run random low level adventures until Sept 22...

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app
It starts on the sword coast.

E. Tallitnics

Explorer
I too was considering a Druid, and also just for the dinosaur exposure.

Then I noodled around a bit and realized that I can play a Ghostwise Halfling Beastmaster with a Pteranodon companion to ride and now I'm very torn...

Remove ads