D&D 5E (5E) Low-level support paladin build?

procproc

First Post
Hi all,

I recently started playing in a game with some friends and wanted to solicit advice on my paladin build. We're currently first level, and the party composition is

Fighter (tanky)
Fighter (intending to go Ftr 1/Warlock x)
Warlock (GOO)
Sorcerer (intending to focus on party buffs)
Paladin (me)

Originally we also had a Life Cleric, but she had to bail before the campaign started.

My original plan was to go with a tanky Pal 2/Sorc x build using Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade, so I went human (variant) with Heavy Armor Mastery. However, our fighter and fighter/warlock are both pretty tanky, and we're lacking healing. I'm definitely the min/max-iest player in the group, and also the only character in the party currently capable of healing, so it would be nice to provide as much support in that role as I can.

I've considered Pal 2/Bard 1-3/Sorc x mostly for access to Healing Word and potentially Cutting Words, but it feels like a fairly major cost just to pick up a 1st level spell. Alternately, I'm wondering if it's better to just stay straight Paladin and go with Polearm Mastery for melee effectiveness (into Sentinel at 4th level.)

Our DM will likely let me do some minor retconning if need be (such as changing my feat or stats slightly). I'm primarily looking for input into: a) what feat(s) would be best, and b) what multiclass build is optimal for a healing/support paladin?

Thanks!

neogod22

Explorer
Hi all,

I recently started playing in a game with some friends and wanted to solicit advice on my paladin build. We're currently first level, and the party composition is

Fighter (tanky)
Fighter (intending to go Ftr 1/Warlock x)
Warlock (GOO)
Sorcerer (intending to focus on party buffs)
Paladin (me)

Originally we also had a Life Cleric, but she had to bail before the campaign started.

My original plan was to go with a tanky Pal 2/Sorc x build using Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade, so I went human (variant) with Heavy Armor Mastery. However, our fighter and fighter/warlock are both pretty tanky, and we're lacking healing. I'm definitely the min/max-iest player in the group, and also the only character in the party currently capable of healing, so it would be nice to provide as much support in that role as I can.

I've considered Pal 2/Bard 1-3/Sorc x mostly for access to Healing Word and potentially Cutting Words, but it feels like a fairly major cost just to pick up a 1st level spell. Alternately, I'm wondering if it's better to just stay straight Paladin and go with Polearm Mastery for melee effectiveness (into Sentinel at 4th level.)

Our DM will likely let me do some minor retconning if need be (such as changing my feat or stats slightly). I'm primarily looking for input into: a) what feat(s) would be best, and b) what multiclass build is optimal for a healing/support paladin?

Thanks!
Just play a life cleric. Everything else will be subpar

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

procproc

First Post
I'm not sure if you read the original post, where I described that I'm playing a paladin? Telling me to play a cleric/druid instead is, frankly, both dismissive and unhelpful.

This isn't a heavily optimized group. I want to know if there's a viable route for me to provide healing while still maintaining my core competencies as a paladin.

snickersnax

Explorer
I'd go Healer Feat then Pal2/sorc3. That way you'll get healing right way and get your metamagic as quick as possible for quick cast and distant spell cures. You can still keep your booming/greenflame blade fantasy. With quick casting that can still give you 2 attacks per round at level 5. after 5th level you can consider 3 more levels in paladin for level 5 pal multiattack (quickcast scags for 3 attacks per round) and two more levels of sorcerer for haste...

snickersnax

Explorer
I'd go Healer Feat then Pal2/sorc3. That way you'll get healing right way and get your metamagic as quick as possible for quick cast and distant spell cures.

hmmm maybe twinned spell even better for the double heal and haste. anyway you'll know by level 5 whether 2x healing is more important than the extra distance.

CydKnight

Explorer
You didn't mention but I am sure you realize that Paladin's can heal with their Lay on Hands ability. Also Fighters will be able to heal themselves once per short rest using Second Wind. So you may be fine staying with a Paladin only build depending on the adventure style being played so I might not worry about it too much unless the DM says so. Also, you can all supplement healing with potions as much as the DM will allow.

You could also supplement the Paladin's Lay on Hands ability a bit by being an Aasimar who can heal it's level in hit points once per long rest with it's Healing Hands ability.

I'm not one who actively multiclasses so I won't be much help making a suggestion there. I will say that I do not feel that classes which are good healers mesh very well with Paladin.

neogod22

Explorer
I did read the original post, and the words that stood out were, you were a min/maxer and you wanted to play the role of healer since the other roles were taken. If you're going to be the only healer, then just play a life cleric, with 1lvl of druid, so you can make high hp good berries before you rest at night, and use your spell slots for other things. As a druid, you can get shillelagh cantrip to use your wisdom for hit and damage with a staff as well as up the damage to 1d8. As a life cleric, you get heavy armor and shield proficiency. So,you can fight, heal and buff the party.

procproc

First Post
Yeah, and Lay on Hands is another aspect that lends me to wonder if it's better to go straight paladin, since the total pool of healing is based on paladin level. The biggest drawback is that it's an action to use, and I don't have many features right now that use up bonus actions.
[MENTION=6888204]snickersnax[/MENTION]: definitely planning on taking twinned spell. As Pal 2/Sorc 3, you don't have many metamagic points, and Twinning a Booming Blade often has the same effect as casting a second one for half the point cost.

neogod22

Explorer
Yeah, and Lay on Hands is another aspect that lends me to wonder if it's better to go straight paladin, since the total pool of healing is based on paladin level. The biggest drawback is that it's an action to use, and I don't have many features right now that use up bonus actions.
[MENTION=6888204]snickersnax[/MENTION]: definitely planning on taking twinned spell. As Pal 2/Sorc 3, you don't have many metamagic points, and Twinning a Booming Blade often has the same effect as casting a second one for half the point cost.
You can't twin booming blade. Since the spell comes off the weapon, you can't hit 2 targets with the same strike.

Remove ads