D&D 5E Fighter 2 / Abjurer X -- Knight of Azuth

Irda Ranger

First Post
I'm playing a Forgotten Realms game that uses Core 3 + SCAG as the rule set. I wanted to make a "Mage-Knight in Shining Armor", or "Arcane Paladin of Azuth" concept, and I thought that a Fighter 2/Abjurer X was the best way to get me to the build I wanted.

This is the build at 4th level, with plans for 6th level at the bottom. I took Fighter levels first for the Constitution Saves and Heavy Armor. Am I missing anything? Do you see any limitations? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Magnus Firesword, Knight of Azuth
LN Var-Human Sage

Fighter 2/Abjurer 2

STR 14 (+2/4)
CON 14 (+2/4)
DEX 10 (+0)
INT 16 (+3)
WIS 12 (+1)
CHR 8 (-1)

HD 2d10+2d6+16
HP 31/38 (+7 THP from Arcane Ward)
AC 18/23 (Splint, Defense/Shield Spell)
Pr +2
Vs Normal
Sp 30

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: All
Weaps: All
Tools: None
Saves: Str, Con
Sklls: Arcana +5, Athletics +4, History +5, Perception +3, Religion +5
Langs: Common, Draconic, Giant

FEATS
Tough (+2 HP/level)

ATTACKS
Halberd +4 1d10+2 Reach 10
Fire Bolt +5 1d10 120'

SPECIAL
Fighting Style (+1 AC)
Second Wind (1/SR, BA, 1d10+1 HP)
Action Surge (1/SR, +1 BA/SA)
Arcane Recovery (1/LR, SR, 1 slot)
Ritual Casting
Spell Focus (Crystal Bracelet)
Abjuration Savant (1/2 cost/time on Abjuration)
Arcane Ward (7 THP, +2x Lvl)

SPELLCASTING
Cantrips: 3
Slots : 1st/3
Can Prep: 5
Known : 1st/8
Save DC : 13
Attack : +5

CANTRIPS
Fire Bolt (+5, 120', 1d10 fire)
Message (SA, 120', 1 rd)
Prestidigitation (SA, 10', 1 hr, 3x effects)

SPELLS KNOWN

1st Level
1: Alarm (Ritual, Abujuration)
2: Find Familiar (Ritual)
3: Prot vs Evil & Good (Abujuration)
4: Shield (Abujuration)
5: Unseen Servant (Ritual)
6: False Life
7: Expeditious Retreat
8: Feather Fall

FAMILIAR
Species: Owl (Fey)
Name : Othello
Sp 5, Fly 60
AC 11, HP 1, DV 120'
Percepion +3A, Stealth +3
Talons +3 to-hit, 1 damage
Flyby: Doesn't provoke OA
Keen Senses: Advantage on hearing and sight

FUTURE BUILD @ F2/W4, when I get my next Cantrip and first ASI

CANTRIP
Green Flame Blade (+d8+INT to weapon damage and +d8+INT to 1 creature within 5' of target)
--Longsword +6 2d8+5 plus 1d8+3

FEATS
Warcaster
-Advantage on Concentration
-Can cast spells with weapon/shield equipped
-Can OA with a spell (SA, single target)

And once I have Warcaster, I switch to sword & board fighting style. +2 AC from Shield.

Ovarwa

Explorer
If you already started playing, you won't be able to take my recommendation for level 4, which is F1/Abj3 (Con saves and fighting style) or WarCleric1/Abj3 (more cantrips and spells, uninterrupted spell slot progression), both with heavy armor and weapons, which your concept demands.

That gives you an ASI at level 5 and 3rd level spells at level 6.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Thank you for reading the post.

You might as well go for the 3rd level for EK.

I thought about this, but the hit to spell slot advancement seemed too painful. I only took 2nd level in Fighter for the Action Surge, which is useful as a caster too.

Irda Ranger

First Post
If you already started playing, you won't be able to take my recommendation for level 4, which is F1/Abj3 (Con saves and fighting style) or WarCleric1/Abj3 (more cantrips and spells, uninterrupted spell slot progression), both with heavy armor and weapons, which your concept demands.

That gives you an ASI at level 5 and 3rd level spells at level 6.

Hmm, I hadn't considered this, but it's not a bad approach. War Cleric is certainly in keeping with the spirit of being an "arcane paladin of Azuth" concept. I lose the Con Save and some good Skills but full spell slot progression is very nice. I could always take Resilient at some point I guess if the Concentration checks become an issue.

The only other thing is I lose either +1 Con or Str, because I need to bump by Wisdom by 1 to qualify for multiclassing. (EDIT: Or I can change Tough to Heavy Armor Master and keep the stats the same...)

I will consider this. Thanks!

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just to throw something different at you, had you considered a paladin/sorcerer? Paladin can give heavy armor prof and the +CHR to saves at 6th will give you better CON saves for most/all of your adventuring career then just proficiency. Paladin gives half casting, and there's more synergy with a high CHR then high INT. Quicken is nice for attacking and casting, and Twin is nice for buffing yourself and an ally with the same spell.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Just to throw something different at you, had you considered a paladin/sorcerer?
For other characters, sure, that makes a lot of sense. This guy is specifically dedicated to the god Azuth however, the patron of wizards. From a character concept point of view I really wanted the whole wizard thing - spell books, rituals, etc.

From a concept point of view, being a knight dedicated to God obviously works with Paladin perfectly, but the MAD issues of needing STR, CON, INT, and CHR were insurmountable.

Paladin can give heavy armor prof and the +CHR to saves at 6th will give you better CON saves for most/all of your adventuring career then just proficiency. Paladin gives half casting, and there's more synergy with a high CHR then high INT. Quicken is nice for attacking and casting, and Twin is nice for buffing yourself and an ally with the same spell.
Yeah, it's a potent combo. Ideally you'd want to synergize your Paladin Oath and Sorcerous Bloodline too. Favored Soul would be probably be best if your DM allows UA content.

When I ran Ravenloft recently I rebuilt Rudolph Van Richten as a Lore Bard/Paladin of Vengeance multiclass. That was fun.

Remove ads