5E Building a better Rogue
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Building a better Rogue

Hi, everyone.

Let's talk Rogues. What works for them? What would you change and why? How can they be improved?

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Also, let's keep it civil.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smart View Post
    Hi, everyone.

Let's talk Rogues. What works for them? What would you change and why? How can they be improved?

I think rogues is already a pretty solid class. I might tweak some of the seldom-used features of some of the sub-classes (assassin's disguise and poison, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by nswanson27 View Post
    I think rogues is already a pretty solid class. I might tweak some of the seldom-used features of some of the sub-classes (assassin's disguise and poison, for example).
    Yup. I agree with this. On the whole the class is really solidly designed, Just a few things like the high level assassin features seem a little lackluster. I would have liked to see more expanded Poisoner abilities on the class.
    XP TheCosmicKid gave XP for this post

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Remathilis

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smart View Post
    Hi, everyone.

I'd say improve their ability to stealth, but this post is nearly invisible using any of the Legacy forum colors, so that seems well covered.
    XP Mon, Dax Doomslayer gave XP for this post

I might mention one more: Get rid of having initiative order being a factor on whether or not assassins get crit damage (surprise rules + assassinate).
    Last edited by nswanson27; Friday, 28th July, 2017 at 10:45 PM.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block pming

Friend+
    Hiya!

IME, the effectiveness of a Rogue is primarily based on how smart the player is. I have one player who LOVES to play thieves...but she absolutely sucks at it. It's amazing to just watch her make decisions on how to overcome something "rogue'ish", because they are almost always..."bad". I have another player who prefers wizard-types, but plays Rogues on occasion. He plays them almost too well. He uses "the campaign world" far more than he uses any specific rogue ability. He builds contacts, he has custom equipment designed, he seeks out mundane items to help him pull off a heist/job/whatever, etc. In a dungeon, he does the same thing, but uses his abilities more (obviously) to help do all that stuff that makes trying to infiltrate a thieves guild so dang dangerous! (setting up traps/deadfalls, covering trails or confusing them, etc).

So, as I said, in my experience the capabilities and success of a Rogue is VERY much up to the Player and not the abilities written on the sheet. YMMV.

^_^

Paul L. Ming
    XP Miladoon, bsmith gave XP for this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews

Block Saelorn

Friend+
    The biggest problem with the class - and there aren't many - is how unintuitively the whole sneak attack ability works. It would make more sense as its own action, rather than a rider that applies once per turn on a successful attack. Give advantage on the attack roll when dual-wielding, if you think that's a balance issue.

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block TheCosmicKid

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by nswanson27 View Post
    I might mention one more: Get rid of having initiative order being a factor on whether or not assassins get crit damage (surprise rules + assassinate).
    I think that's more a consequence of the slightly counterintuitive official interpretation of the surprise rules than anything to do with the assassin per se. I just run it as: surprised creatures remain surprised for the full duration of the surprise round.
    XP nswanson27 gave XP for this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block TheCosmicKid

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Saelorn View Post
    The biggest problem with the class - and there aren't many - is how unintuitively the whole sneak attack ability works. It would make more sense as its own action, rather than a rider that applies once per turn on a successful attack. Give advantage on the attack roll when dual-wielding, if you think that's a balance issue.
    I think it might be nice if the conditions for sneak attack could be cleaned up a little, the way the conditions for opportunity attacks were cleaned up in 5E. Stuff like never being able to get sneak attack if you have disadvantage, while making a certain amount of sense, is sometimes a nuisance to remember and probably not worth the word count. It just feels more like a 3E rule than a 5E rule.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews

Block Saelorn

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCosmicKid View Post
    I think it might be nice if the conditions for sneak attack could be cleaned up a little, the way the conditions for opportunity attacks were cleaned up in 5E. Stuff like never being able to get sneak attack if you have disadvantage, while making a certain amount of sense, is sometimes a nuisance to remember and probably not worth the word count. It just feels more like a 3E rule than a 5E rule.
    This whole edition feels like that in a lot of places, not because of any specific rule, but because you can tell that they hadn't iterated enough on the design to make everything flow together. It reminds me a lot of going back to read the 3E rulebook, after having read 3.5E.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply