Three Acts And The Hero's Journey

An RPG GM has many of the same tasks or duties as a game designer. Even though what I’m saying today can be taken as game design advice, it also applies to the GM as he/she creates an adventure, even as they prepare to run an adventure created by someone else. "A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder. Fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won." Joseph Campbell

Film students are often taught that successful films and other stories - or perhaps just tragedies - always have three "acts;" but others suggest maybe five or nine acts, or seven points, or something else. I'm not going that far, but I will say that in games, if the game doesn't have phases where what the player does and thinks about changes from one phase to the next, then it had better be a short game or it's going to get tedious.

There are MMOs (Massively Multi-player Online games) where people do the same not-very-interesting thing over and over again, called “the grind.” In fact it's so simpleminded that you can have bots (small automated programs) do it for you, and it can be so tedious that people are willing to pay somebody else to do it, and then buy the results (with real money). I would rather design a game/adventure where people enjoy the journey as well as the destination, so I try to avoid "the grind."

There are lots of ways to define these three acts, going all the way back to Aristotle 2,500 years ago. The first act includes introduction of characters, and exposition of problems/conflicts. In the second act, the protagonist takes on various obstacles, usually an antagonist is involved, and this can be the darkest act when things look really grim. Then in the third act, you have a resolution or climax where the protagonist overcomes the obstacles, and a denouement - what happens afterward as things get sorted out.

There’s plenty of disagreement about the ideal way to construct stories, which leads us to the modern notion of the Hero's Journey. This was identified by Joseph Campbell in the book The Hero with a Thousand Faces in1949. The original Star Wars movie, apparently deliberately, tends to follow the Hero’s Journey, with a call to adventure, an initial refusal to get involved (until Luke’s family is killed), a mentor (Obi-Wan), and on through many stages.

Entire books other than Campbell's have been written about the story form. If you're into story creation you might read some of those books; but is it necessary for designing games and adventures? No, often the "story" is just an excuse to get to the action. Many adventures are about overcoming obstacles, not about stories, but what players and GMs prefer varies a great deal.

Game designers design games, GMs design adventures, neither have to design stories. But some do. Some game designers (and some GMs) are frustrated novelists; they should become familiar with Campbell’s ideas.

References:
The Hero with a Thousand Faces (1949), Joseph Campbell
The Writers Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers, 3rd Edition (2007), Christopher Vogler

​contributed by Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Thanks for mentioning the new RPG of Star Trek Adventures, lyle.spade. :n:

Yet, FFG Star Wars is still my most exciting RPG at my table for years now with its Duty and Obligation story level-up mechanics for Age of Rebellion and Edge of the Empire. With regards to these story level-up mechanics, whenever your rebels finish a session, they usually gain some significant Duty points, that in the next adventure facilitate even better favors or access requisition better starships for the next mission.

Thanks for the nod. I like STA a great deal - FFG's SW, too.

Arilyn

Hero
We ended up dumping the last book in that AP, too, as it took the story in a bizarre direction that was supposedly (according to the authors) foreshadowed throughout the whole AP, but hadn't been. I loved Kingmaker books 1, 2, 4, and 5, but 3 and 6 were odd departures from the story.

I played in a group that made it to the third book in the Carrion Crown AP before we revolted against how awful the thing was. That third book was chock full of mindless encounters and others rooted entirely in the assumption that players would seek to get involved in every little thing along the way to their destination. Hand-waving those meant dumping most of the module, and we decided to dump the AP entirely. Bummer, too, because it had promise - but it was just too much of a railroad with a series of pointless stops along the way.

Any system that emphasizes mechanics so much can fall prey to this sort of silliness.

I am excited about Zeitgeist. Am running it for my Pathfinder group. We have finished the first three parts, which were excellent. There is over arching story, but lots of room for players to get there however they please. Have high hopes quality will continue. Hope we have the stamina!

We never finished Carrion Crown either. And my Serpent's Skull campaign ended up so different from Paizo's, that I wouldn't be able to comment on published one. My players had a blast, couldn't understand the poor reviews. Had to keep saying, you weren't actually doing that path...

Council of Thieves was a favourite. Only had to do usual tinkering with that one.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Years ago, when running the Kingmaker AP, my group decided to hand-wave almost one whole book - the Varnhold Vanishing - because it added nothing to the story and really served more as a way to build levels and enrich the party with magical items. Its connection to the metastory was almost non-existent, and it was more of a tedious dungeon crawl than anything else.

I dont get it, adventurers that dont want to be enriched with magical items? o_O

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I dont get it, adventurers that dont want to be enriched with magical items? o_O

Funny! No, they were enriched with some of the stuff and a lot of the wealth. Rather than playing the adventure as their characters, we jointly narrated through it and added some elements, like more barbarian tribes from the east and a small brush war with them. The players, by the end of the 2nd book, were more interested in being kinds and running their kingdom and doing diplomacy and having wars and dealing with big stuff by that point, and not so much in dungeon crawls. So we worked through that part of the story around the table, treating it more like a strategy game than a 1:1 RPG. Once finished with that, I wrote some more story fluff to advance the timeline some (we recorded all this on the Obsidian Portal in addition to meeting weekly in person to play), and started the 4th book. It worked out well.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases