D&D 5E Return to The Temple of Elemental Evil - (full, at the moment)

EarlyBird

Explorer
I was thinking of running a game on the site here. And after getting somethings out of the attic I think I found what I wish to run. It would be no problem to convert this over to 5e and would probably be fun to convert some of the NPCs over.

There would be no special rules on character creation -

- using the stat array (15,14,13,12,10,8)
- races/classes from the PHB
- 1st lvl w/max hp and will roll for hp every lvl after that
- feats and multi-classing allowed

Not a great build for characters I know but I believe it is the RP that should be focused on and your abilities to do x amount of dmg per hit or cast a certain spell. I will be rewarding xp for encounters "survived", which means those you bypass or run from and manage to evade, give you just as much xp as those you fight and beat to a pulp.

I haven't DMed in a while, but am excited to get back into telling stories with a group of imaginative people that are looking to have fun.

EDIT 1:
So In my mind I was wondering about the staging of this game and have thought about going even further back than just Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil - Back to the actual adventure itself and play from the Temples beginnings. Here's my thinking:

Lvls 1-8 Original adventure
- The characters start off in Hommlet and adventure in and around the town/moathouse and learn about a cult using the old temple as its staging area. The players infiltrate and destroy the cult bring peace to the area.

Lvls 8-15 Returning to the Temple
- 9 yrs later trouble starts brewing once more in the area around Hommlet as a new cult rises in the area. The party that once took on the Temple of Elemental Evil is called upon once more and this time the stakes are higher.

Lvl 15-20 Stopping the cult once and for all
- Learning what truly lies behind the cults power, the party is ready to stop them from every bothering the realm again.

Little dramatic and a very big undertaking, but think of the hours and hours of fun to be had.

Edit 2: Players
- KahlessNestor: Emmyr Anvilforge, dwarven male fighter
- Binder Fred: Rana the Green, human female warlock
- industrygothica Hexiros Verad, dragonborn(blue) male fighter
- Shayuri: Aridha, human female druid
- Charwoman Gene: Gwylla, half-elf(high) female wizard
- hero4hire: Templeton, human male rogue
- River Song: Lady Rebekah, half-elf female bard
- Neurotic: Captain Blackpearl, half-elf male paladin

Edit 3:
Inn of the Welcome Wench- RG
EB's ToEE and RttToEE CAmpagin - IC

Last edited:

EarlyBird

Explorer
Welcome to the game. I am about to clock into work, but from what I see of the sheet so far looks good. What happened to the girl you fought over with your cousin, does Emmyr know what became of her?

The Setting is Greyhawk.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Welcome to the game. I am about to clock into work, but from what I see of the sheet so far looks good. What happened to the girl you fought over with your cousin, does Emmyr know what became of her?

The Setting is Greyhawk.
Cool. I don't know Greyhawk all that well, but I can manage. I didn't go too deep into backstory for that reason.

I don't think he knows what became of the girl. He probably got exiled fairly quickly.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Interested! I haven't played a druid or cleric yet, so I'd want to give that a shot, if ok.
Are spells from other legit sources, such as SCAG or elemental evil allowed?
Cheers,

SG

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Hello EarlyBird. I'd be interrested in this.

Um, how about a Fey-pact Warlock? I'm thinking a wizened old woman, wrinkled face, nose like a knife. By her side stands a gnarled wooden cane with a flared head and a huge, blasé-looking frog with all the leather fittings of a horse <re-skinned mule :)>. In her youth, pacts have been forged - with the dripping plants, the inhuman spirits of the swamp, with what some call devils and what others call the Fae. She is, in short, a swamp witch from some nearby swamp, perhaps apprenticed to one of the locals (in partnership/competition with Steve Gorak's druid/cleric, perhaps?), or part of a local coven maybe?

What do you think?

EarlyBird

Explorer
KahlessNestor -

No problem with the short backstory, I know I didn't give anyone much to go on. I was jus excited when I found the old module and posted something quickly. We will go with Emmyr not knowing what became of her.

Getting a few minutes to look over your sheet I noticed you didn't:
- add in your Racial bonuses to your stats (STR should be 17, and CON should be 16)
- list that your character is resistance to poisons (i.e. you only take 1/2 dmg from poisons)
- pick an artist's tools to be prof with, but going along with background and name I believe you are leaning towards blacksmithing tools
- list languages known
- pick a gaming set to be prof. with
- and normally you don't spend your background money on extra equipment, but I think we can have the PC's go ahead and do this

Steve Gorak -

Welcome to the Game! A Cleric or Druid (or both if you wish to multiclass) would be a great boon to any party. Since you haven't played either class there is so many directions for you to go:

- A war cleric of St. Cuthbert out to smite evil and protect the weak.
- A holy priest of Pelor healing the sick and purging evil undead from the land.
- A wildling raised by the forest and now on a vision quest to stop an ancient evil.
- A farmhand with a way with animals that doesn't understand the strange powers he know posses, and goes looking for a mentor.

Ahhh to be level 1 - the possiblilities are endless. For now we are going to stick with the PHB on spells, as I know nothing about SCAG and just found out a minute ago they brought out another Elemental Evil game and for 5th (say what). But as we adventure you may find some scrolls or your diety knowing what lies in store for you may give you access to a new spell or two that may be very helpful.

Have fun making your character and if there's any background info you need please let me know.

Binder Fred -

Welcome, welcome!! I see great potential in your character concept already, especially in the RPing of her. I love the re-skinned mule, I have done this a bunch before with other animals in games. So you will have a pack toad to help carry for character, sounds fun. In the next post I will be stating a new ideal for the game so your questions about partnership/competition may just need to be answered as we discuss the course of the game.

See you all in the next post

EarlyBird

Explorer
So in my mind I was wondering about the staging of this game and have thought about going even further back than just Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil - Back to the actual adventure itself and play from the Temples beginnings. Here's my thinking:

Lvls 1-8 Original adventure
- The characters start off in Hommlet and adventure in and around the town/moathouse and learn about a cult using the old temple as its staging area. The players infiltrate and destroy the cult bring peace to the area.

Lvls 8-15 Returning to the Temple
- 9 yrs later trouble starts brewing once more in the area around Hommlet as a new cult rises in the area. The party that once took on the Temple of Elemental Evil is called upon once more and this time the stakes are higher.

Lvl 15-20 Stopping the cult once and for all
- Learning what truly lies behind the cults power, the party is ready to stop them from every bothering the realm again.

Little dramatic and a very big undertaking, but think of the hours and hours of fun to be had.

Let me know what everyone thinks, and I will add this to the first post to attract a few more players.

industrygothica

Adventurer
If you can take this game all the way to level 20 without it falling apart, then you are indeed a better man than I!

That being said, I'm interested in throwing my hat in. No real concept yet, just wanted to express my interest. Thanks! :)

-IG

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases