D&D 5E [Poll] Bard Satisfaction Survey

How Satisfied are You With the Bard Class?

• Very satisfied as written

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • Mostly satisfied, a few minor tweaks is all I need/want

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Dissatisfied, major tweaks would be needed

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Very dissatisfied, even with houserules and tweaks it wouldn't work

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Ambivalent/don't play/other

Votes: 5 5.7%

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I do agree that the limited offensive choices make the "full caster" aspect more palatable, but I still argue for a reduced capacity at the higher levels of spellcasting. -- Currently, the bard feels more like a subclass of wizard than the inspired sum of knack and knowledge the archetype presents. Reducing his caster level would better contextualize his trope. #twocents
I think there's two competing tropes for the bard, which is why getting community consensus can be somewhat difficult. The full caster/specialized list fits for the "music is magic" trope the bard has, but a lesser caster based on wizard spells would fit for the "knows a little bit of everything" trope.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I think there's two competing tropes for the bard, which is why getting community consensus can be somewhat difficult. The full caster/specialized list fits for the "music is magic" trope the bard has, but a lesser caster based on wizard spells would fit for the "knows a little bit of everything" trope.
I agree with you that the game seems to struggle with these two tropes.

Perhaps funnily, I understand the bard in neither the "music is magic" trope, nor the lesser caster based on wizard spells "knows a little bit of everything" trope. -- To me, the bard's spells are not formal in either of those ways, they're the informal byproduct of his inspired inner spark (which romances the weave when he speaks/performs).

The bard's stirring words have a magic all their own. The whole "song of creation" stuff feels half-baked and tacked on, in my opinion. (It's just unimportant to the bard overall, so, why?)

I like the Bard a lot in this edition, full-caster status and all. The 2e Bard leveled up faster for the same XP as a Mage, so you could often have a Bard casting at the same level or even higher than the Mage in the party, and making the Bard a full-caster in 5e kind of hearkens back to that. Bards don't get slot recovery abilities like the Wizard does, though, so it's not really stepping on the Wizard's toes casting-wise, either.

About the only thing the Bard really needs are more explicitly performance-themed spells at each level. Give me those (Xanathar's please?) and we'll be set.

My complaints about the Bard:

1. [Minor] Valor increases diversity, which is on-track with the class's mechanical theme and history. Lore increases focus. This is why Lore seems so much better than Valor. I wish Lore weren't so appealing.
2. [Minor] Expertise is an irritating mechanic. I don't like that at high level you can easily have an 18 point difference between party members for skills (Ability 8 vs Ability 20 + 2 x Proficiency). One of the complaints about earlier editions was bonuses going off the die. This basically does that again.

My complaints about the Bard:

1. [Minor] Valor increases diversity, which is on-track with the class's mechanical theme and history. Lore increases focus. This is why Lore seems so much better than Valor. I wish Lore weren't so appealing.
2. [Minor] Expertise is an irritating mechanic. I don't like that at high level you can easily have an 18 point difference between party members for skills (Ability 8 vs Ability 20 + 2 x Proficiency). One of the complaints about earlier editions was bonuses going off the die. This basically does that again.

Yeah Bard is my favorite class by far. It's design is exceptionally elegant and clean mechanically, but you hit on the one problem I have which is Lore is just so nice. I think it may be less of a problem once Xanathar's hit as then we might get the college of Sword and probably at least one of whispers or Glamour which are both very interesting in their own ways.

Remove ads