D&D 5E Dragon Fire - the Drogon Initiative

Uchawi

First Post
For me the book keeping issue is potentially worse with your suggestion. If I say the ongoing damage last 5 rounds, then I have to remember to apply the damage for 5 rounds. However, if I only have to take an action and make a check (per an earlier comment it should be a check), that will probably only last one for two rounds for a PC of an appropriate level. That, for me, is much less book keeping.
I see your point about book keeping and there is a preference for each DM or player on what is better. From my perspective, it would be easer to mark it on an initiative tracker. The added benefit is it does not involve rolling more dice.

dave2008

Legend
I see your point about book keeping and there is a preference for each DM or player on what is better. From my perspective, it would be easer to mark it on an initiative tracker. The added benefit is it does not involve rolling more dice.

I see your point, of course you could handle that with avg. damage

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Interesting take on a dragon. Overall, I think it's very well done. Personally, I'd change the tail sweep to be an AE attack with a Dex save and oppose the knockback and prone effects with choice of Athletics or Acrobatics.

jimmytheccomic

First Post
I have added an updated Ancient Red Dragon with the revised fire breath mechanics discussed in this thread to the OP.

Thank you! My campaign is building towards a fight with an Ancient Red, I'll definitely be using this! It'll be several months, but I'll check in and let you know how they did.

dave2008

Legend
Interesting take on a dragon. Overall, I think it's very well done.

Thank you - I'm glad you like it. It seems every few months a make a new version of the ancient red.

Personally, I'd change the tail sweep to be an AE attack with a Dex save and oppose the knockback and prone effects with choice of Athletics or Acrobatics.
I've done that before (except with a Str save on the prone/pushback), but I wanted to try something different this time and see how it works.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases