D&D 5E Help me narrow down my options

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Hi folks I have a concept but too many ways to make it.

Lathgar: Level 7: One-eyed Viking-esk warrior who worships the storm/raven God

Requirements:

· Storm spells
· Druidic Spells
· A Raven on his shoulder
· Warpick and Shield Proficiency

Assume the DM will not house rule anything.

Options:
V. Human Ranger 7
+Magic initiate or Ritual caster for raven – drop storm spells (rather not drop)

V. Human Tempest 2/Mountain Druid 5
+Magic initiate or ritual caster for raven

V. Human Eldritch Knight 7
+ Magic initiate for druidic Entangle etc.

V. Human Fighter 1/Chainlock 6 with quasit shape-changed into Raven
+ Magic initiate for Mould Earth/Entangle

V. Human Raven Queen Warlock with Raven 1/Tempest or Druid (seems messy)

V. Human Tempest 7
+ Magic initiate for Mould Earth/Entangle
+ Ritual caster for Raven

V. Human Ancients Paladin/Raven Queen Warlock - Drop Storm Spells (rather not drop)

Of all of them, the Eldritch knight is the one I least prefer as the subclass doesn’t sit right for me. I don’t necessarily need a second attack and the role can be pushed more to caster or more to melee. I’m currently veering slowly towards option 2 but is there another easier way or is this it?

Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
1. Do you require your raven to be a class feature? Trained low-CR animals should be fairly easy to purchase for some gold. I know you mentioned "no house rules", but asking the price of a mundane item not explicitly listed on the equipment list isn't a house rule, just part of the DM's job. Should be cheaper than a Mastiff.

2. Druid (Circle of the Shepherd) [UA: June 5 Revised Class Options) allow you to talk to animals starting at 2nd, easy enough to get a raven that way as well as druidic casting. It's abilities work well toward enhancing you and allies as well as summoning, so you could summon and then melee.

3. You don't mention how much druidic casting you want. Cleric (Nature) gets a druid cantrip and has a number of druid spells as domain spells. As well as heavy armor and shield. But not martial weapons so you'd need to multiclass, take a feat :(, or some other path for the War Pick.

4. Bard (Lore) has spell mastery (valor doesn't until 10th) and can pick up a few druid and storm spells. And find familiar. But no war pick.

5. Wizard (Bladesinger) can have storm spells, the raven, and the warpick. But no shield without losing their bladesinging. But defaults to elf/half-elf only which I don't knwo if it fits into your definition of "viking". The Norse had their Ljósálfar.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Hadn't considered 1) and 2) (forgot about the shepherd) Thanks!

3) Needs a druid feel really. Would like the storm spells though

4) Lore bard is interesting now you point it out. Cheers. It would indeed have Thunderwave, Thunderclap and Shatter plus some picks including a familiar at 6th. 1 level of fighter would get me the shield and warpick, and it does have some druidy spells like Animal Friendship, Plant Growth and Awaken.

5) Doesn't feel right but thanks for the extra option.

The Lore 6/Fighter 1 option is a strong one.
I think it's between that and the Tempest 2/Mountain Druid 5

Ta very much Blue for your input.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases