After Game of Thones/George RR Martin who takes the mantle as the upcming fantasy

At one point I thought I was Patrick Rothfuss but i'm wondering who shows up as the next bestseller. Who gets marketed like harry Potter and Game of Thrones?

I didn't discover GOT until book 2 was first released and obviously Potter was big before the movies. People ran to the stores for new potter books especially last 2 in the harry series. Game of thrones I preordered and ordered 1 from England as I didn't want to wait for the US version

Some of you will say "never cared for GOT" etc but it was pushed to the front of bookstores so who just started a series that gets this attention

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Brandon Sanderson and his Cosmere comes to mind. But I'm not sure anything close to Pottermania or GoTmania will happen any time soon. One of the reasons why they were so popular was because they moved from books to cinemas and TVs.

MarkB

Legend
I know it's already had a TV adaptation so there could be rights issues, but I think Jim Butcher's Dresden Files novels could work really well in a GoT-style miniseries format. Compress the timelines a bit so that you can have some events overlapping, and you could easily work through 2-3 novels in the course of a season.

Ryujin

Legend
I know it's already had a TV adaptation so there could be rights issues, but I think Jim Butcher's Dresden Files novels could work really well in a GoT-style miniseries format. Compress the timelines a bit so that you can have some events overlapping, and you could easily work through 2-3 novels in the course of a season.

It's a pity that the first try at a Dresden TV series didn't really get a fair shake.

For my part I think that a look back at Robert Adams' "Horseclans" novel series would be a reasonable successor. Lots of blood and battle, double-crosses, fornicating Undying.... And did I forget to mention Bili the Axe? (Though Sir Geros was more my speed. A better rags to war hero story arc.)

Well, I'm not sure how much you'd consider it fantasy but the camp half-blood universe of books by Rick Riordan would be my bet, but it would require a new movie or even a tv show. It already has a hit musical more or less and like Harry Potter is aimed at the age group that drives the purchasing powers more or less and it also ages with that group. It also doesn't go into an age restricted grouping such as GoT.

I'd also love for the Dresden Files to be given a second chance.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There are LOTS of great options for adaptation for TV or movies, old and new.

Odds that Hollywood will find them AND do them justice? Slim.

It's not an easy read, and it would require about 15 seasons to do the complete story, but I would love to see a good adaptation of Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's just IMHO the best, grandest fantasy saga that is and ever will be.

Remove ads