After Game of Thones/George RR Martin who takes the mantle as the upcming fantasy

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series also has far greater POC representation in it than A Song of Ice and Fire. Would love to see it happen, but the special effects would be hella expensive.

With Lin-Manuel Miranda’s involvement in the adaptation, I still think the Kingkiller Chronicles are the most likely bet. Heck, it’s even unfinished, like A Song of Ice and Fire!

Sanderson’s Cosmere has been optioned, and I would think the Mistborn series has a chance to really blow up.

It's not an easy read, and it would require about 15 seasons to do the complete story, but I would love to see a good adaptation of Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's just IMHO the best, grandest fantasy saga that is and ever will be.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I read GoT well before the HBO hype. It was good, in the top 25%. It was far from perfect. It got a huge push from the HBO series, and part of that may be that unlike Shannara or other series they included a lot of sex and nudity.

Harry Potter was great and had crowds before the movies, and then the movies propelled it to amazing heights of popular recognition. But it had a heavy does of wish fulfillment in there that could capture people's imaginations and make it a widespread phenomenon.

That said, I've read plenty of better books. But that doesn't mean that that they would have the popular appeal OR that they would convert well to a film medium.

So the question isn't really about quality, but about screen adaption and appeal to the widest possible audience be it through wish fulfillment, sex, or some other mechanism on top of a solid story.

Yaztromo

Explorer
Personally, I love Richard Adams and I think that Shardik has all it needs to create a great fantasy saga on the screens, but I guess the "next prophet of fantasy" will be chosen by a blockbuster organizations following parameters that we don't agree a lot.
However, lots of people (probably including us) will love it.
That's how it goes, sometimes... ;-)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
After giving it some in depth thought...

Glen Cook's Black Company, if handled right by the upcoming film, could do well enough to flesh out the film franchise. His Garrett, P.I. books could work on TV for ABC, Fox, SyFy or another cable company.

John Butcher's Dresden Files deserves another shot, but Simon Green's similar Nightside novels might be a better shot, not having "failed" before. Green's "Bondian" Secret Hisoty novels likewise have a good mix of modern fantasy and action that would translate well.

I'd love to see Moorcock's work on the screen, but after many attempts with no finished products, we may be out of luck on seeing Elric, Corum, Jerry Cornelius, or any of the other Eternal Champions.

Harry Turtledove's epic Darkness novels- a fantasy world version of WW2- has it all. But it probably is too obscure to get the nod.

Terry Brooks' Shannara property is being made into a middling TV show as we speak. Could go either way. The "prequel" Knight of the Word series would be a good option if Shannara succeeds.

Kurt R. A. Giambastiani's Fallen Cloud could work very well, especially for the North American fantasy market.

Clive Barker's Imajica would translate well.

If Neil Gaiman's American Gods holds up. I could see his Neverwhere get redone and expanded.

Dean Koontz' Odd Thomas got made into a movie in...2012? Didn't get a lot of buzz- it's now in my DVR, waiting for me to watch it. But the series might do better on the small screen.

Personally, I loved Constantine, despite the changes made to fit it in American broadcast TV. (The Keanu Reeves movie was...meh.) I'd give it another shot.

With Lin-Manuel Miranda’s involvement in the adaptation, I still think the Kingkiller Chronicles are the most likely bet. Heck, it’s even unfinished, like A Song of Ice and Fire!
Most likely this.
Although, even if every book is two seasons, it'll only be six seasons. Aiming for five might be more reasonable...
And modest in terms of SFX.

I would love to see Elric get the royal treatment, but agree that if we haven’t seen it yet, we’re likely not going to. Although, there was a Jerry Cornelius adaptation some time ago.

As for Imajica, I would absolutely adore that. One of my favorite books, to the point that I’ve got a tattoo for it. Once upon a time I would've said it was too racy for TV, but times have certainly changed.

I'd love to see Moorcock's work on the screen, but after many attempts with no finished products, we may be out of luck on seeing Elric, Corum, Jerry Cornelius, or any of the other Eternal Champions.

Ryujin

Legend
After giving it some in depth thought...

Glen Cook's Black Company, if handled right by the upcoming film, could do well enough to flesh out the film franchise. His Garrett, P.I. books could work on TV for ABC, Fox, SyFy or another cable company.

John Butcher's Dresden Files deserves another shot, but Simon Green's similar Nightside novels might be a better shot, not having "failed" before. Green's "Bondian" Secret Hisoty novels likewise have a good mix of modern fantasy and action that would translate well.

Harry Turtledove's epic Darkness novels- a fantasy world version of WW2- has it all. But it probably is too obscure to get the nod.

Terry Brooks' Shannara property is being made into a middling TV show as we speak. Could go either way. The "prequel" Knight of the Word series would be a good option if Shannara succeeds.

Kurt R. A. Giambastiani's Fallen Cloud could work very well, especially for the North American fantasy market.

If Neil Gaiman's American Gods holds up. I could see his Neverwhere get redone and expanded.

Dean Koontz' Odd Thomas got made into a movie in...2012? Didn't get a lot of buzz- it's now in my DVR, waiting for me to watch it. But the series might do better on the small screen.

Personally, I loved Constantine, despite the changes made to fit it in American broadcast TV. (The Keanu Reeves movie was...meh.) I'd give it another shot.

I think that I would rather see brooding Corum on TV, than brooding Elric. I think that it would translate better, despite not having quite as much name recognition.

"Shannara 90210" was horrid. Such a waste.

I quite liked "Constantine" and was sad to see its cancellation.

Jhaelen

First Post
I fully expect to see plenty of spin-offs after the regular 'Game of Thrones' TV show is finished. So, there's really no need to look for a successor.

Remove ads