D&D 5E DMing for Kids - NPC Support

Diem

Explorer
So I am going to be starting my first campaign as a DM and it's for my 7 year old daughter and 5 year old son. They've already decided on character race and class. I recently got Volo's so they got excited... my daughter will be a Tabaxi Ranger and my son and Goliath Fighter.

I'm going to start out by running them through LMoP. I'll adjust some difficulty since they are only two but I'm considering having a Life Domain Cleric tag along with them for some minimal support. Since they are just getting started, I think this may be a good plan.

Has anybody else DM'd for young children? Any tips?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using EN World mobile app

fjw70

Adventurer
I have an still do for my kids. The only advice really is to not get into complex plot driven story. Just let them be heros, get treasure, and kick son monster but. A tag along npc can be helpful for giving tips or hints along the way.

aco175

Legend
I have an still do for my kids. The only advice really is to not get into complex plot driven story. Just let them be heros, get treasure, and kick son monster but. A tag along npc can be helpful for giving tips or hints along the way.

I do this same thing, even with my group I play with my brother and father. I always liked the DMNPC, but you will find several threads on these boards of varying opinions. Don't be afraid to have fun and make the kids the stars. If you give out something powerful, have fun with it.

Remove ads