What was your most memorable PC?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Depends on how you mean "memorable". I still recall my 1st D&D character ever, from way back in 1977.

In some ways, my most memorable character- to OTHER players- was Bear, an AD&D fighter from @1979-80 who sacrificed himself holding a bridge in order to let the rest of the party escape.

OTOH, many of my personal faves were from 3Ed & 3.5Ed campaigns, because I was able to make PCs that were fun to play, had absolutely unusual mechanics and were still moderately effective:

1) An "arcane paladin" made by multiclassing classes like Battle Sorcerer, Marshal, and Disknlade.
2) A Geomancer based on D.C. Comics' Swamp Thing who could heal by using Turn Undead attempts
3) A maul-using, scale mail wearing, lighting-obsessed sorcerer with the blue dragon heritage who channeled his spell energy into a lightning breath weapon.
4) A javelin slinging & polearm-wielding githzerai monk who controlled large swaths of the battlefield.
5) a similar great spear using cleric-based Kensai build with some Enlarge spells & Potions up her sleeves

Last edited:

Legatus Legionis

< BWAH HA Ha ha >
For me, in-person RPG, my favorite had to be when our DM at the time wanted us to create any PC from any Realm/setting, and to keep the specifics from all the other players.

The group of players wanted a campaign with more suspense, more treachery, more espionage.

So I created my PC to be a Lawful Evil Illrigger of Orcus.

The setting the DM had planned was in Greyhawk, and each player was given a different (yet similar) experience in how we all got to Greyhawk. We had our own backgrounds and objectives, etc.

To the group, I was a Paladin not of St.Cuthbert, but a Paladin none the less. One that never showed one's (un)holy symbol, nor mentioned whom they worshipped to the group.

And yet I became the mentor to an actual Knight of St.Cuthbert.

As the player had never RP'd a Knight before, in-game getting mentored by another Holy-Warrior was a natural fit.

To be able to role play in what was a mostly "GOOD" group of PCs, and yet being the most "EVIL" among them, and them never knowing it. My "goals" were parallel and complemented the groups, up until near the end.

My PC personally saved the Knight on numerous occasions, and the group as well.

Part of my background was that Iuz had asked for some aid/advice was Orcus, and I was sent.

Iuz and St.Cuthbert were at war with each other, and once are group got together, we were sent to investigate increased raids by Orcs and Goblins from territories in league with Iuz, and to report back ASAP.

During one of our encounters, we had found the leader of these raids, a high-priestess of Iuz. Well, while the other PCs were fighting for their lives, I along with the Knight went for the leader. We were able to get close enough to her that we were able to speak to each other above the noise of the fighting. With me being in front to the Knight (being more senior). And without the Knight noticing what I was doing, I was able to show my (un)holy symbol to her before hiding it away once more. She looked from me to the knight of St.Cuthbert. Shock and amazement. I then stated out loud "Will you surrender into (I pointed to the Knight) his custody!"

The player of the Knight was shocked I had made this declaration. I was role playing my character after all, and that my Paladin would offer this to the Knight was taken by the PC as a show of respect and part of his training/responsibilities, then the Knight too proclaimed, "Lady, will you surrender into my custody. I will protect you till I can deliver you to my superiors."

The players and their PCs rejoiced and congratulated the Knight. I think the player was a little embarrassed at first, but was enjoying being a Knight now.

While on our way back to the capital, our group was ambushed and the Knight wanted to go after the strongest creature/leader attaching us, as a Knight should do. My Paladin told the Knight his first responsibility was to protect and guard the captive under his custody. The other PCs were once again fighting all over the place, and my Paladin moved to help the group, leaving the Knight to protect the high-priestess.

My leaving gave the ambushers enough time to try and rescue the high-priestess. My Paladin came back in-time to witness the fall of the Knight, and was able to dispatch the rest. My Paladin then faced the high-priestess. I came right up to her, and in a low voice only she could hear, "I am full filling my vow." I cut her lose. "Next time, organize your troupes from the shadows. Let them thing it is some random raiding. Have one clan raid, report their success, and have then next clan to do better than the previous one. Controlling the clans by working on their egos and dislike of one another, instead of trying to make them into one big army, until the very end. Let them think it is just the random raid and not you preparing for a big war/invasion."

And with that, my Paladin turned to help the rest of the group. As she was not my prisoner, as I had planned, I had no reason to keep her.

The group wanted to go after her, but I stated, "We had got what we came for, no? We stopped the raids. And looking at all of us, are we in any shape to pursue? Besides, are we not to report as soon as possible what we found?"

The group could not argue with that.

As one whom my PC was mentoring, my Paladin had to return the body of the fallen Knight.

When word spread that the raids were over, and the high-priestess was defeated, the country rejoiced.

Then word that a Knight of St.Cuthbert had died and was being returned home by a fellow holy-warrior, a Paladin the Knight was a friend to. The streets of the capital was lined up to see the sight.

When we came to the temple of St.Cuthbert, the clerics were all there. My Paladin stated, "I have returned the valiant body of your fallen Knight."

They retrieved the body of their fallen Knight, and moved towards the entrance of the temple. My Paladin just stood there. The other players wonder what I was doing. The main cleric then asked my PC, "Sir, thanks for bringing back our Knight. Do come and..."

My Paladin put his hand up. "As we have come straight from the field, with Goblin and Orc blood and our sweat all over us, I will not offended your diety, nor you and your followers with their stench."

The players thought this was just another one of my great Paladin role playing. Which was true, it also hid the truth.

And it was the other players who suggested to the main cleric (and the DM) to "make my Paladin an official friend of the order of St.Cuthbert with all the honours and privileges."

The main cleric then took me to the side of the temple, to where the clerics live and eat and sleep. Here I was given a room to clean up and where I could come and go as I pleased.

The other players were all high fiving each other. They did not think they would get all this accomplished in the game.

But the they being mislead.

The player who had played the Knight, after the session was over, never thought playing a knight could be so fun, and challenging at the same time.

He asked if he could look at my character sheet. I looked at the DM, as in this group character sheets were off-limits to other players.

I said I have no problem with it, so long as nothing within is revealed to the other players.

So the DM said yes.

That player got to ready not only my stats, but all of my character's history, background, motivations, allegiance too, etc.

The player was in shock.

My character was the anti-character they were all looking for. The treachery and espionage they expected to come from a NPC, not from a fellow PC.

I, along with the DM, had fooled everyone.

If my PC had stepped foot into the temple of St.Cuthbert, all the wards would go off. The evil on my (un)holy symbol, the fact my allegiance was in direct opposite to theirs, etc. would all come out.

And the players gave my Lawful Evil Illrigger full assess to the heart of the country, unlimited assess to the secret places to the temple.

When the true war came, my Paladin was there to show the high-priestess where to go.

You might ask, would not a Knight be able to detect the presence of evil? If they have no reason to, and my PC never gave them any reason to doubt my PC, they cannot and would not need to do so. Same went with the clerics. Give them no reason to think you are evil, and they will not treat you as such.

Of course, my PC did alot more doing this campaign, both with the Knight and afterwards, but this gives you the idea.

It was so much fun, and so memorable.

Herosmith14

First Post
I actually just jumped on the RPG train with 5e. That being said, I have played plenty of characters, and made many more.

My fav overall is an in person character named Vargach, a lizardfolk barbarian that took the "eats people" thing and ran with it(he eats everything we kill, minus undead, they taste bad). I'm actually still playing this savage and disturbing character who doesn't quite understand social norms and delivers bad news with a cheery grin. I can still remember the first time I played him, our employer had gotten mugged and murdered before we met her, so Vargach did what Vargach does, made dinner out of her corpse.

A close second for in person characters is Nadar, my passifistic Bronze dragon born Conjurer and follower of Solinari, who I am heavily considering multiclassing as an Arcana cleric.

As for pbp, I like the way my first and only character is shaping up. Jiron Booyahn the Hobgoblin artificer in Oethea's Chosen over on DDB.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Lash - hobgoblin fighter/rogue in 3.x who, with his human blood brother Rodrigo, terrorized the Misty Isles with their incompetence and folly. The joy of a party with a high Wisdom of 9 and a bunch of really exploitable flaws is not to be underestimated!

John Smith - abnormally tall and gaunt dragonborn sorcerer who had fled his clan of dragonborn because they were evil and he didn't like it and so assumed the most common human name in his new home. Still not fully integrated, he would occasionally offer inappropriate information on various unsavory activities due to his upbringing. When discussing how to rescue some kidnapped children, for instance, he offered that the youngest had probably already been eaten by their captors (some bandits looking for ransom) because they were the most tender and delicious.

Kantamar -- 3.x Bard/Bladesinger. Fun character who's sole goal for adventurer was to ensure the safety of his mother and sister. That campaign was about an invasion of demons, and Kantamar died as part of the process of sealing the gate and stopping the invasion -- literally, died because closing the gate required sacrificing hit points to fuel a ritual and he gave his last one to put it over the top. Best character death I've ever had.

Ty Winsome -- space opera game loosely based on Firefly - Ty was a Resistance operative/sniper who had what could be best called a checkerboard morality -- he had a code, but it's operation was obscure and not readily apparent, so he would apparently switch between almost nonchalant bloodthirsty murder and going out of his way to aid and save people. Mostly, it depended on whether he classed the person as part of the Imperial machine or a victim of it, but who and what Ty considered aiding and abetting vs trapped by the machine was the real fun to figure out. Quite often, he'd surprise me. Most notable feature was his magnificent mustache.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Flexor the Mighty.

When I rolled that 18 STR, then grabbed the percentile dice for exceptional STR I was quivering with anticipation. I cast my dice and prayed that Gygax would smile upon me. 00 stared back at me!!! My lord, my lord. His name was first Cain Entor. Then watching Conan I noticed one NPC was named Rexor. SO I HAD AN EPIPHANY! I would rename Cain to FLEXOR! Flexor the mighty! Good times. Then when we were adventuring a fellow player offered to cast a Strength spell on him. I was hesitant but said yes. Turns out it was a Charm spell...

I learned then stay natural, never get on the juice.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Probably my namesake, Ratskinner Jim.

During 3e. My buddy starts up an evil campaign. Humans are tyrants over the world and we're starting at Level-equivalent 5! He makes a big deal about how racist our human overlords will be, so if we take a non-human that's our own lookout. Also, we'll be using some evil supplement, and magic will be rare. Well also be joining some criminal syndicate.

So...I come up with a Kobold..who is also a wererat...which leaves a level each for Druid and Sorcerer (IIRC). He works as a ratcatcher in the sewers and took the "Bootlicker" feat out of the evil book so that he can talk his way out of trouble by abasing himself. I take a bunch of utility spells, many of which are single component..usually Verbal or Somatic so I can cast them subtly. Due to low con and...well being a Kobold...I have very few HP. My size and strength​ conspire to make my carrying capacity so low that I cannot wear armor, and can carry very little beyond my basic equipment.

We get to the table and everyone laughs at me. We got half-dragon this and half-demon that. Everyone is dripping with sparkly black evil sequins and chomping at the scenery to get their evil on. ....I am the only one to make it through the session alive and unmaimed. Mostly this is accomplished by being filthy from living in the sewers and groveling like an idiot before any authority figures. The fact that you need silver or magic weapons to hit me helps too.

Session two, near total reboot. We're supposed to steal something from the grand high muckety muck. He keeps it in his bedroom. Turns out that sewers connect to everything in the city and my rat form has crazy climbing and stealth abilities. Get spotted, run around the corner presto-chango and there's Ratskinner Jim being all obsequious and looking for the same rat you are, officer! One of the others "helps" by picking a fight with the watchmen. Most of the rest of the party dies, despite my efforts to save them. (The mob inducts the survivors and Jim is a made man...err Kobold.)

Cut forward and a few new players join the party. We're at some half-buried pyramid and supposed to find some magic oranges. New guys are obsessed with their own awesomeness and laughing at the puny Kobold. They keep sending me ahead so they can preen and squeal with glee at who evil they are. I start trading up my measly 10lbs of loot and presenting them with the lesser of two treasures at every turn. (True fact, gems have a very high value density.) The players know I'm screwing them, but the characters have no way of knowing. Also, if they start to threaten me, I use my feat. I also get first crack at negotiating and allying with any weird dungeon inhabitants and there are plenty. I carefully filter the information the rest of the party gets. The players are having fits. We get to a weird little puzzle room. They finally decide to go first and put an end to my clever thievery... Turns out that traps are much more effective against people who can't climb walls and can be hurt by mundane weapons. I end up stranding them in a useless part of the dungeon and go on to solo the rest of it.

I woulda loved to play him longer, but the DM called the campaign. We revisited that world later and the DM had made Jim into a minor God for the kobolds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases