A Walk Down Memory Lane - 30 years of Gaming

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Re: A Walk Down Memory Lane - 26 years of Gaming

andargor said:
My mother, by then, was resigned. At least I wasn't in some back alley doing drugs.

:D

My parents never understood gaming, but they defended it when my friends parents expressed concern. This was usually the first thing they pointed out, for some reason.

I'll echo the others who have thanks you for posting this. I'm now going to wander off and be slightly misty-eyed for a few minutes...

Bloodstone Mage

First Post
Whoa. That is gold, Andargor. I need to show this to my gaming group sometime.

I've only been playing since 1999. I, too, hope that I'll be able to tell tales like that in twenty or so years. My D&D history is a bit romantic and troubled already; love, hate, money, shoplifting, drugs, annoying sisters, and the father that still thinks I'm playing Magic: The Gathering with a stack of books instead of cards.

I love D&D. And America.

Cheers!

Last edited:

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Great story, one that so many of us can relate to. I started in 7th grade with the 1980 Basic rules, eventually moving to 1E and quitting right before 2E came along. M:tG brought me back to gaming and 3E brought me back to D&D.

For those of you old farts who yearn for the old days, I'll be running some pickup games with the 1980 Basic/Expert rules. Young guys who have only played 3E are welcome too, if you want to see what the geezers wax so poetically about.

Look for a sign up sheet at the ENWorld booth.

Oh, and if I get the D&D adventure put to bed tonight, I'll probably have a 1st edition GammaWorld adventure to run as well.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
diaglo said:
great story.

francisca,

i'm bringing my OD&D booklets. if you want to play a real game.:D

That would kick some major butt. I'll even bring a couple of my 20 siders which are numbered 0-9 twice!

Skade

Explorer
francisca said:

That would kick some major butt. I'll even bring a couple of my 20 siders which are numbered 0-9 twice!

Oh, I hate those things. Every now and then one of my players slips emn into my dice bin in hopes I wont notice that I can't roll over a 9 with them (rolling the 0 would be sure sign something was up). :)

My parents defended gaming in my youth, and even encouraged my friends and even kids I barely knew to play at our house. I was lucky in that.

Your story leaves me feeling a bit nostalgic, unfortunatly my former players and I are not in touch, a matter of choce not mere distance. There were soem great times though, at the gaming table and beyond.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases