D&D 5E Warlock (NPC) question - How to connect to patron?

I am a DM, and I am writing a campaign where some ultimate-evil BBEG (= Big Bad Evil Guy) is controlling multiple evil beings in Faerûn to cause pain, despair and suffering on a continental scale.
The most logical agents of such a BBEG would be warlocks, who get their power from some patron (the BBEG), but this BBEG may have enslaved some regular humans, lichs and other creatures as well.

My players must be able to find out about this BBEG who controls all the evil beings behind the scenes. So it would be useful for me to know the methods how a warlock connects to a patron? The patron I will choose is a pumped up version of Balor (the demon from the monster manual), so that it becomes Lord Balor. How characteristics suit the story well. Are there any such methods desribed anywhere? Are these rituals, prayers, or even face-to-face contacts through some portal with another plane?

And can the connection between a warlock and its patron be broken (without traveling to the other plane, and directly slaying the BBEG itself)?

I prefer to stick as closely as possible to the books and available literature, including some online wikis on the D&D world.

If you stick to the PHB the warlock have no oath, no obligations and no restrictions vs his patron.
He is not a 'Cleric' nor a broken paladin of an evil force.

Once said that,
a DM may see the Warlock as a kind of hacker, who connects itself to a source of power, but use the power freely.
a DM may allow a Warlock to get more information about his patron. How? Dream, vision, intuition, or more classic tool like scrying or contact other plane spell.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I have something pretty similar in my current home built world.

Lower level warlocks can only commune with their patron through magical trinkets or rituals such as scrying. Or if that patron chooses to contact them. The stronger they become, the less they need to rely on these tools and the more they gain a bond. First almost empathic, then something close to telepathic. It is of course gated by that Patron, and only works if it chooses to commune.

My players have attempted to use the Scrying themselves to find out more about it. It didn't turn out particularly well, but they did glean some information from the encounter.

None of this is RAW of course.

I am not sure if there is anything RAW.

For NPC's, the sky is the limit. Touching a statue (I think this was used in Lovecraft) or a coin (Dresden files) and you "talk" to the patron is a good plan. Mechanically, I would treat it as a contact other planes spell, but the patron can automatically make the save for people it likes (but not automatically make the save fail). That makes it risky for PC's (or warlocks that aren't on the bosses "good list") to try it, but not automatically catastrophic.

If the warlock is a chainlock or a tomelock with find familiar, it isn't a big thing for the boss to talk through the familiar, and you could have the warlock initiate the conversation by dismissing the familiar (impy, go tell the lord of heck I need to talk to him).

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Dreams are a popular option in fiction. "He came to me in a dream, offering me power and respect, and I accepted the bargain. Occasionally I dream of my dark master again and he gives me a task. I feel connected to him on a visceral level when I carry out his wishes..."

If the DM wishes it, having a quest or ritual that can break (or even transfer) the bond between Patron and warlock is definitely possible. There's nothing about it in the rules, but don't let that stop you.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. :D

It can be very difficult to prove something is not there, and having a confirmation from multiple people here that there's nothing RAW means I can move on.

The suggestions given are quite valuable, especially since multiple beings will need to communicate with the demon lord, so I may use some or even all suggestions.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases