DM's - What rolls do you make for your players?

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

° Ignore Sam

DM's - What rolls do you make for your players?

When I DM (either for my campaign or in RPGA events), I let the players make all of their own rolls. I've been toying with the idea of starting to make some of the rolls for the players. For things like certain spot, search, hide, listen, sense motive, etc checks.

What rolls do you make for your players? Why?

(Trace)
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

13th AgeZEITGEISTGen ConENniesO.G.R.E.I Defended The Walls!

° Ignore Hand of Evil
    My communities:

Saves for poison or illness for the most part. I don't think they should know, let them worry but you have to let them know something, a tingle, weakness, dry mouth, vomiting, dizziness, burry vision.
    Signature:
    All I need is minions and I would rule the world.

Links updated: 2010.Oct.23
    Threads to reference:

DM ADVICE ---Maps and Other Campaign Resources --

Guide (Lvl 11)

° Ignore Someone
    My communities:

When the roll┤s result or just the need to make the roll carry information. If you -as a player- make a Spot check, know that there┤s something to be spotted. If you walk down the street, fail a Will saving throw and the DM says "ok, nothing happens, you just reach the tavern", you know something┤s not going well. If you roll a 20 in you search check, you know that taking 20 would be pointless. And if you roll very low on your bluff check, and the other is bluffed, you could know he┤s pretending to believe you.

° Ignore Sam
    Originally posted by Someone
    When the roll┤s result or just the need to make the roll carry information.
    That's exactly why I've been thinking about doing it. Wondering what player's responses have been, especially when you had previously let them make these kinds of checks/saves, to loosing the "control" of their own rolls?

Guide (Lvl 11)

° Ignore Someone
    My communities:

Originally posted by Sam

That's exactly why I've been thinking about doing it. Wondering what player's responses have been, especially when you had previously let them make these kinds of checks/saves, to loosing the "control" of their own rolls?
    That was always a rule in our group, so nobody complained. But I believe you should discuss or at least announce the new rule and why are you introducing it before the game.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Blog Entries

° Ignore drothgery
    My communities:

Originally posted by Someone
    And if you roll very low on your bluff check, and the other is bluffed, you could know he┤s pretending to believe you.
    Of course, that kind of logic breaks down at higher levels, because almost everyone has a few skills that they're so good at that even low rolls will succeed against reasonable DCs. If you've got a +30 to move silently, you don't make much noise even when you roll a 1.
    Dave Rothgery

PBP
    Spoiler:

My EnWorld Blog
    Republic and Empire
    Buffverse M&M game

Characters
    Active
    Sanne Bacher d'Lyrandar in S@squ@tch's Against the Giants - Team Black

Inactive
    Istara Kandorian in Ankh-Morpork Guard's Star Wars: Rebels with Style
    Eric Hassel (Quarterback) in Jemal's Mutant High
    Sariel in Rumspringa's Keep on the Shadowfell
    Khalia ir'Indari in DEFCON1's Eye of the Lich Queen
    Serrana Vao in Karl Green's Knights of the Old Republic (with 213 things Serrana can't do in the Jedi Order)
    Italimelk in Living ENWorld
    Daellin ir'Ayellan in stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
    drothgery's Victorian Eberron game
    Star Wars/KotOR Era - The Second K'ril Incursion

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore alsih2o
    My communities:

i roll:
    appraise
    bluff
    decipher script
    disable device
    search
    and wilderness lore where it pertains to tracking

then i describe the result. if it is a nat 20 or an awesome roll i use words like "obviously" and "for certain."

i think it adds some fun to the game to sometimes not be sure about your success.

CreativeMountainGames.com COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

° Ignore Mark
    My communities:

It's not "making rolls for the players" if the players should not be unduly influenced by the results of the dice. It's making rolls for a situation that just happen to utilize a fractor inherent in the characters' abilities, skills, etc. I make rolls for situations whenever the die results should be unknown by the players, even if they should be aware of what happens in the situation because of those results.

I often roll Spot or Listen checks, sometimes in advance of them being needed. I roll Disable Device checks. I roll Appraise, Bluff, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Forgery and many other checks. Some feel a DM should only roll these when it is "important" but I have found that pointing to something as important is just as telling as allowing players to be privy to the results of the rolls.
    Check out 30 Things Can Happen! A System-Free Sourcebook for Fantasy RPGs.

Follow on CMG Google Group, Facebook, Twitter @MarkCMG, and the Creative Mountain Games website, the Grymvald Gazetteer (Campaign Setting) website, and

"Griffins & Grottos" - MF WARS (Medieval Fantasy Wargame and Roleplaying System) & "Surcoat" - MF CMG (Medieval Fantasy Combat Miniatures Game) website.

I let them roll most of thier active rolls. Things like intiative, Disable device, listen, and most skill checks where they state they are actively using that skill.
    2d6

"Playing Synnibarr will open avenues in your imagination for which you probably did not even know you had an address" - Bryce Thelen

Buy my OD&D and AD&D stuff

CreativeMountainGames.com COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

° Ignore Mark
    My communities:

Originally posted by drothgery

Of course, that kind of logic breaks down at higher levels, because almost everyone has a few skills that they're so good at that even low rolls will succeed against reasonable DCs. If you've got a +30 to move silently, you don't make much noise even when you roll a 1.
    If a Rogue makes a noise a the Giant Ear creature is not there to hear it, does he make a sound? Silence is a relative term. A Move Silently check is an opposed roll, not an absolute, regardless of the ranks, bonus or penalty.
    Check out 30 Things Can Happen! A System-Free Sourcebook for Fantasy RPGs.

Follow on CMG Google Group, Facebook, Twitter @MarkCMG, and the Creative Mountain Games website, the Grymvald Gazetteer (Campaign Setting) website, and

"Griffins & Grottos" - MF WARS (Medieval Fantasy Wargame and Roleplaying System) & "Surcoat" - MF CMG (Medieval Fantasy Combat Miniatures Game) website.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast