#RPGaDAY Day 19: Which RPG features the best writing?

It’s August and that means that the annual #RPGaDAY ‘question a day’ is here to celebrate “everything cool, memorable and amazing about our hobby.” This year we’ve decided to join in the fun and will be canvassing answers from the ENWorld crew, columnists and friends in the industry to bring you some of our answers. We hope you’ll join in, in the comments section, and share your thoughts with us too… So, without further ado, here’s Day 19 of #RPGaDAY 2017!

It’s August and that means that the annual #RPGaDAY ‘question a day’ is here to celebrate “everything cool, memorable and amazing about our hobby.” This year we’ve decided to join in the fun and will be canvassing answers from the ENWorld crew, columnists and friends in the industry to bring you some of our answers. We hope you’ll join in, in the comments section, and share your thoughts with us too… So, without further ado, here’s Day 19 of #RPGaDAY 2017!

#RPGaDAY Question 19: Which RPG features the best writing?

Angus Abranson: I remember getting a review copy of the first edition of Kult when it came out and every page was just igniting a stream of ideas in my head. With that in mind I’m going to choose it as the writing must have been good to have provoked that response in me … and the fact that I still remember it well over twenty years later!
I also found that the GURPS sourcebooks were excellent books on their subject matter and certainly among the consistently best written books in the games industry. Whilst I rarely played Gurps I owned pretty much every supplement and often used them for ideas, or reference, in other games.

Darryl Mott: Some of the writing in Shadowrun sourcebooks is damn near novel quality. Universal Brotherhood, Cybertechnology, Tir Tairngire, Aztlan, Renarku Arcology Shutdown, Sprawl Survival Guide, Dragons of the Sixth World, and others manage not only to get the required game information to the reader, but tell some really great stories while they do so.

Michael J Tresca: I enjoyed a lot of White Wolf's fiction - the kind accompanying the RPG, not the fiction line - back in the day.

F. Wesley Schneider (Co-Creator of the Pathfinder RPG): For educational value, impact on your future gaming, and stark horror, no game holds a candle to Dread. The 168 short pages, the rulebook provides you with everything you need to run a game, along with dozens of departure points for crafting terror-tales of your own. More than that, though, the game explores the underpinnings of horror stories, from the basics of pacing and atmosphere to defining specifics unique to various horror genres. With a bit of practice, these lessons are easy to employ in any sort of creepy game you might run. That makes Dread one of those rare games that doesn't just teach you a system, it makes you a better storyteller.

Robert J. Schwalb (Schwalb Entertainment; Wizards of the Coast): Human Occupied Landfill

Ken Spencer (Rocket Age; Why Not Games): The writing in RPGs can be rough, but it is a difficult task. You have to balance clarity with creativity, write about fictional places as if they were real, provide information and entertainment, and with adventure writing tell a story when you do not know who the protagonists are. It is easier to point to bad writing than good, because good writing disappears behind the content. Greg Stafford, especially with Pendragon 4e blends together the various goals of RPG writing very well. Call of Chtulhu 7e is also clear, thematic, and entertaining.

Andrew Peregrine (Doctor Who, Victoriana, Cabal): Again, I have to say 7th Sea first edition. I was buying the books long before I was playing it just to unveil more of the background and meta-plot. I’ve heard people complain about the meta-plot in 7th sea but I just don’t see the problem. It was damn good and inspired most of my campaign. What I didn’t like I just changed or ignored. But for a game that inspired me (with a special mention of Nobilis 2nd edition) I have to offer Itras By. This storytelling style RPG places you in a meticulously detailed surreal world. I DARE you to read this game and not have a whole pile of places and people you want to add to the city by the end of it.

Rich Lescouflair (Alligator Alley Entertainment; Esper Genesis 5E): Shadowrun 1st Edition - if it wasn't for the stories and detailed setting, I'd have never bothered to master those ridiculous staging rules.

Darren Pearce (EN Publishing; Savage Mojo): That’s really subjective and I could cite a bunch of RPGs that have some great writing. For me though, the best writing goes to Shadow of the Demon Lord, because Rob knows how to hit tone and theme as well as present his info like a boss.

Stephanie McAlea (Stygian Fox Publishing, The Things We Leave Behind): West End Games’ Paranoia. Readable and funny.

Eran Aviram (Up to Four Players; City of Mist): If by "best" you mean most clear, while at the same time being evocative of the setting, I'm surprised to say Mistborn RPG. I was very pleasantly surprised to find it concise, easily understandable, and very much a reflection of the world it aims to create. Second place - the magnificent Paranoia XP.

Garry Harper (Modiphius Entertainment; The Role Play Haven): Warhammer Fantasy Role Play, 1st edition by GW.

Mike Lafferty (BAMF Podcast; Fainting Goat Games): Honestly, in a field (RPG core books) where clear and concise communication can seems rare, Fiasco stands out for simply and effectively communicating how to play the game while infusing the book with the gloriously chaotic Cohen Brothers tone of the game.

Simon Brake (Stygian Fox): I’m in awe of the people who put together Delta Green, because of the level of research that goes into their scenarios. They always have well realised antagonists, and write mysteries that are interesting to investigate, and feel well grounded in reality.

Richard August (Conan, Codex Infernus): Unknown Armies has a uniformly high level of writing. Patrick Stuart's writing in Veins of the Earth is excitingly evocative but, well, if you twist my arm...you aren't beating Delta Green. A half dozen of the best RPG writers to have ever put pen to paper working at the highest level. So very, very good.

Federico Sohns (Nibiru RPG): I've got to praise the writing in most editions of Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu; these are people that just breathe H.P Lovecraft's mythos, and have written and delved upon them for many many years. The writing in their supplements is, also, superb.

Originally created by Dave Chapman (Doctor Who: Adventures in Time & Space; Conspiracy X) #RPGaDAY os now being caretakered by the crew over at RPGBrigade. We hope you’ll join in, in the comments section, and share your thoughts with us too!

Horror games, whether it be World of Darkness (Vampire, et al), Call of Cthulhu, Kult, Unknown Armies or whatever are invariably the best, most provocative reads.

Veril

Explorer
Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror
Trollpack
Borderlands

Back in the day when they were released they set the tone for awesome world building and fleashing out.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
Who reads fluff.....give me the CRUNCH! :)

Me with a new RPG
"Yeah yeah yeah, here's your little story, just let me get to the part of how I make a character!!! - flips through Table of Contents quickly).

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I'll have to go back in time for this. First, for establishing and maintaining a genre-specific vibe, I have to go with the 2e rulebook for Vampire: the Masquerade. That book was almost all fluff/story, and did a fine job of conveying the mood, feel, and story conceits of that world.

My second choice - not second place, mind you, would be just about anything printed for Cyberpunk:2020, which put the attitude and brashness of the setting on display so clearly that it was really easy, especially when players read the same books, to set the tone (the mouthy, explosive, gonzo tone) at the table.

Arilyn

Hero
My choices are Nobilis and One Ring. Both are a joy to read, and very atmospheric. I am impressed, particularly, by supplements for One Ring, as they are written in a very Tolkien like fashion.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
My choices are Nobilis and One Ring. Both are a joy to read, and very atmospheric. I am impressed, particularly, by supplements for One Ring, as they are written in a very Tolkien like fashion.

That doesn't surprise me about TOR. I've not read it; however, I have the two rulebooks for the 5e adaptation of Middle Earth from them, and they're both very well done.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
World of Darkness in general. The writing has always been superb on the fiction aspects.

Shadows of the Demon Lord is also good.

Shadowrun has always been interesting fiction.

Oh, and I have to give kudos to Starfinder for doing something no other RPG on the market has done: Made me actually enjoy reading a play example. Granted, it's pretty much close to the beginning of the book, but I did get a chuckle out of how they presented the ratfolk and the others.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads