GAME OF THRONES #6 :-BEYOND THE WALL--Season 7 EPISODE #66

I love the criticism. What tv show or movie makes sense when it comes to syfy or horror or that matter real life. I watched Hacksaw Ridge recently. I would have thought Hacksaw was fiction the way things played out. This season has been some of the best television I have watched in years

For those of you are are critical of the producers you think Martin is going to do a better job in setting up these scenes? Do you think they went to him and he said they go "outside wall and fight and dragon dies".

For those who are critical and are roleplayers
give me a better roleplaying gaming module?
Give me a better fantasy show

I agree. It feels like the spectacle is driving the writing, whereas it used to be the other way around. I still absolutely love it, but the breakneck pace of this season definitely is showing some cracks, in both the plot and characterization.

Part of what made the last season so satisfying is that we finally got the answers to so many questions that had been plaguing us as the wait for the next book stretched on and on. But now we’re in completely unknown territory.

I still enjoy the show. However, it's hard to not feel as though the quality of writing has dropped significantly since passing the point of being completely without the books. A lot of what made the show great was the small details which helped bring the fantasy setting to life.

I understand that the scope of the story is now bigger and more epic, so it makes sense to gloss over a lot of things. That being said, I feel as though the fight-logic is (at least to some extent) hurting the story by too often embracing what looks cool in a 10 second preview or a still shot rather than what actually feels narratively right while watching the show.

pukunui

Legend
I can't find it right now on mobile at work, but someone mathed it all out and it made sense.
Is this what you are talking about?

The math only works if you pretend that they were stuck on that island for 5 days. The thing is, even the director has admitted there's problem with the timing. He was just hoping we'd be too enraptured by the fight scene to notice.

What bugs me is why no one used the magic flamey sword for heat.
Maybe they did and we just didn't see it. :p

Last edited:

Azurewraith

Explorer
Yeah, it only works if you accept that it took 5 days in total for Gendry to run back to the Wall, the raven to fly to Dragonstone, and then the dragons to fly back up past the Wall. But the director has admitted to fudging the timeline. It was only meant to be overnight. But he was hoping we'd be too enraptured by the fight scene to notice.

Maybe they did and we just didn't see it.
Ye I read him admitting his fudging which is why I silently slipped into a dark corner.

If they had I can't imagine the corpse would be frozen.

pukunui

Legend
If they had I can't imagine the corpse would be frozen.
Yeah, that's the other thing. If they'd been stuck on that island for days, surely they would've noticed that Thoros had died (or was dying) before the last morning!

As an aside, Richard Dormer says the sword really was on fire, and because of the tech needed to ignite it, it was heavier than usual, and he had to practice swinging it around so he didn't hurt anyone for real.

As another aside, one thing that bugs me about the wights in this show is how does hacking at one with a sword actually kill it? I get that smashing one of the more skeletal ones with a hammer so it literally falls apart would stop it, and I can accept that lighting one on fire will do the same, but surely just slicing it across the chest with a sword (which Jon et al appear to do on numerous occasions throughout the show, not just this episode) shouldn't be enough?

Zombies on The Walking Dead have that virus that reanimates their brain stem or whatever, so a headshot makes some sense. But on Game of Thrones, they're reanimated by magic. How is a simple slash or stab enough to de-animate them?

Azurewraith

Explorer
Yeah, that's the other thing. If they'd been stuck on that island for days, surely they would've noticed that Thoros had died (or was dying) before the last morning!

As an aside, Richard Dormer says the sword really was on fire, and because of the tech needed to ignite it, it was heavier than usual, and he had to practice swinging it around so he didn't hurt anyone for real.

As another aside, one thing that bugs me about the wights in this show is how does hacking at one with a sword actually kill it? I get that smashing one of the more skeletal ones with a hammer so it literally falls apart would stop it, and I can accept that lighting one on fire will do the same, but surely just slicing it across the chest with a sword (which Jon et al appear to do on numerous occasions throughout the show, not just this episode) shouldn't be enough? In other shows, you get a bit of sciencey stuff about what animates a zombie, and then it makes sense that a headshot, for instance, will stop it ... but in this show, it's magic. Surely if the corpse is still capable of movement, it should keep going? How could a sword cut or stab be enough to de-animate it?
This never really bugged me until now, its like my brain just glossed over it. I guess in Jon's case it could be Valerian steel or targaryn blood that lets him do it, as for everyone else I'm afraid "A wizard did it".

pukunui

Legend
This never really bugged me until now, its like my brain just glossed over it. I guess in Jon's case it could be Valerian steel or targaryn blood that lets him do it, as for everyone else I'm afraid "A wizard did it".
That could be it. When he stabbed that wight that was trying to get at Mormont, he wasn't wielding Longclaw, right? That time, it went down but then got up again, which is when Jon lit it on fire.

Speaking of that, he appeared to be hurt by the fire. Dany is immune to fire (and very hot water) but Jon appears not to be. But then Viserys wasn't either. So maybe not all Targaryens are. And since Jon was able to survive being dunked in an icy lake and a long ride home in sopping wet furs, maybe he is immune to cold instead? That would certainly fit with the whole ice and fire theme.

Other thoughts:

I think it would've been a lot cooler (and made more sense) if the Night King had had those undead giants we saw earlier in the season haul Viserion's body out of the ice. Using massive chains that came out of nowhere was just lame. Where'd they get them from? Hardhome? What would the wildlings have needed all those massive chains for? And I guess the Night King ordered some of the wights to swim (or walk) down to the bottom of the lake to attach them to the dragon corpse?

I can't decide if the capture of the wight was just lazy writing or a deliberate trap on the part of the Night King. It was just too damn convenient that they found a lone patrol, and that when Jon killed the white walker leading the patrol, all but one wight de-animated. If it was deliberate, the Night King must have known they were coming and why, and thus that one wight was planted in the patrol as bait. If it wasn't, well, that sure was convenient that the patrol happened to include exactly one wight that the walker hadn't animated itself. (As an aside, was it just me, or do the wights have some kind of hive mind? At one point the Hound kicks the captive wight, it shrieks, and then there's an answering shriek from the horde surrounding the lake, as if they all felt the kick too.)

Oh, and of course the Night King just happened to have some ice javelins on hand ... as if he was expecting dragons to show up. (Or was he going to chuck them at Bran's ravens the next time they fly past?) If it turns out it was just his lucky day, I'll be surprised. I feel like he must be able to see the future like Bran. He certainly has some kind of magical vision powers, since he could see (and touch) Bran while he was remote viewing the walkers and their army that one time.

I wish we could get some insight into how the Night King thinks and what it is that the wants. We know that, on the show at least, he is essentially a weapon gone rogue. But why has he waited so long to reappear? And what is he hoping to achieve? Is he Westeros' icy equivalent of Orcus, hoping to turn the world into an endless snowscape populated only by undead?

I have some theories: Perhaps he was dormant for a long time, or perhaps it's taken him a very long time to build up his army. If Craster's male babies were his only source of fresh white walkers, then I imagine it would've taken him a while to build them up. (Since he turns them into walkers as babies, it would seem like they'd still have to spend at least some time growing to adult size.)

One other thing: People like to joke about how long it's taken the army of the undead to reach the Wall. I don't think they've been on the march this whole time. I think they must have some kind of home base, from which they've been striking out on specific missions (killing wildlings, attacking the Night's Watch expedition at the Fist of the First Men, attacking Hardhome, picking up Craster's babies, and so on). I'd say they've only just started marching on the Wall for real now. I think Bran even said as much in his message to Jon, didn't he? And the fact that they seemed to be marching towards Eastwatch ties back in with my theory above that the Night King knew if he went there, he'd get himself a dragon ... Otherwise, why go specifically to Eastwatch? It's not like they can go around the Wall.

Wights can pass the Wall but Uncle Benjen and the white walkers can't because magic. But even so, if I were the Night King, I'd head for one of the numerous abandoned fortresses with a gate through the Wall, not a manned fortress by the sea ... unless I had had visions leading me to that location. Of course, the Hound *also* had a vision leading him to that location. Hmm ...

Last edited:

Azurewraith

Explorer
That could be it. When he stabbed that wight that was trying to get at Mormont, he wasn't wielding Longclaw, right? That time, it went down but then got up again, which is when Jon lit it on fire.

Speaking of that, he appeared to be hurt by the fire. Dany is immune to fire (and very hot water) but Jon appears not to be. But then Viserys wasn't either. So maybe not all Targaryens are. And since Jon was able to survive being dunked in an icy lake and a long ride home in sopping wet furs, maybe he is immune to cold?

Other thoughts:

I think it would've been a lot cooler (and made more sense) if the Night King had had those undead giants we saw earlier in the season haul Viserion's body out of the ice. Using massive chains that came out of nowhere was just lame. Where'd they get them from? Hardhome? What would the wildlings have needed all those massive chains for? And I guess the Night King ordered some of the wights to swim (or walk) down to the bottom of the lake to attach them to the dragon corpse?

I can't decide if the capture of the wight was just lazy writing or a deliberate trap on the part of the Night King. It was just too damn convenient that they found a lone patrol, and that when Jon killed the white walker leading the patrol, all but one wight de-animated. If it was deliberate, the Night King must have known they were coming and why. If it wasn't, well, that sure was convenient that the patrol happened to include exactly one wight that the walker hadn't animated itself.

Oh, and of course the Night King just happened to have some ice javelins on hand ... as if he was expecting dragons to show up. (Or maybe he was going to chuck them at Bran's ravens the next time they showed up?) If it turns out it was just his lucky day, I'll be surprised. I feel like he must be able to see the future like Bran. He certainly has some kind of magical vision powers, since he could see (and touch) Bran while he was remote viewing the walkers and their army that one time.

As much as I would love to multi quote this and pick it all apart because I love a good discussion, I don't think discussing GoT is a valid reason for being late to work.

I honestly can't remember if it was Long claw or just some generic sword.

As cool as it would be for each Targaryn has his own elemental immunity, which would insinuate dragons had differing elemental types, much like DnD which seems a tad of a stretch for something we won't ever see. I think Jon simply has plotline immunity. Maybe Viserion wasn't her full brother or something? Did he die instantly? Maybe some got into his lungs and he suffocated as it hardened don't fully remember the scene.

The night king definitely set that reverse ambush up and knew the dragons where coming, I mean he could of icelanced the group on the island at any time or made a ladder of corpses or anything. He knew, my personal theory is he is a corrupted 3 eyed raven or something along those lines.

pukunui

Legend
As much as I would love to multi quote this and pick it all apart because I love a good discussion, I don't think discussing GoT is a valid reason for being late to work.
Fair enough. It's the middle of the night where I am. I got back from a D&D session a little while ago, and it always takes me some time to wind down enough to go to sleep.

I honestly can't remember if it was Long claw or just some generic sword.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't until sometime after that fight that Mormont gave Jon his sword. I'll have to go back and check.

I think Jon simply has plotline immunity.
You're probably right. But still ...

Maybe Viserion wasn't her full brother or something? Did he die instantly? Maybe some got into his lungs and he suffocated as it hardened don't fully remember the scene.
I just rewatched the scene. No gold goes over his nose or mouth (or even his eyes), and it's pretty obvious he's screaming from the pain of the intense heat. It probably melts his skull and cooks his brain or something. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Dany's fire immunity is meant to be unique to her. I don't know that any other Targaryens were known to be immune to fire. Also, I think in the books it was just a one-time thing, not a permanent immunity, but I'm not sure.

The night king definitely set that reverse ambush up and knew the dragons where coming, I mean he could of icelanced the group on the island at any time or made a ladder of corpses or anything. He knew, my personal theory is he is a corrupted 3 eyed raven or something along those lines.
That's an interesting idea. Or maybe the ritual the Children of the Forest used to turn him into the first white walker gave him three-eyed raven like powers. That flashback made it seem like he was just some random First Man that the children had captured.

To be honest, I was expecting the whole "Bran being marked means the Night King can pass the magic protecting the cave" thing to be foreshadowing so that when Bran passes back through the Wall, he makes it so the white walkers can bypass its magic as well ... but it seems more likely that they're just going to melt the Wall with undead dragonfire.

Remove ads