D&D 5E What is the most powerful spell?

Zardnaar

Legend
[MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION], [MENTION=5889]Stalker0[/MENTION]

Based on popular demand, Guidance 0 ranks as the best cantrip.

So, people would rather have the Guidance cantrip than have the Eldritch Blast cantrip. (Really?)

Yep EB by itself isn't that great until you combine it with hex and agonizing blast. I have a Tomelock celestial warlock so I have both.

TheSword

Legend
Counterspell is similar to bless in that the spell remains strong and relevant at any level. A 20th level character still makes a lot of use out of counterspell, just as they would bless.

On the other hand, counterspell does have specific counters, such as counter spelling the counterspell, and of course the 60 foot range.

Its hard for me to quantify, in some cases its dirt worthless. In others its one of the most powerful spells out there.

It even counters itself!

Yaarel

He Mage
Its not the name, its just placed in a weird place to me in each of the levels. Honestly I would rather have the spells just laid out into the general list instead of placed in a special subsection. I know why that was done, but for me its just more confusion.

I will probably leave the Setup section separate because it is more like a ritual, and not really cast on the fly.

I when I have time, I will integrate the Eldritch Knight section in with the rest of the list. Probably I will put a short ‘− melee’ tag, meaning any spell that range 15 feet or less.

If you have a chance to go thru the Eldritch Knight sections, feel free to recommend which spells you want to see them between.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
For the sake of standardization, you are a hypothetical non-melee Wizard who can cast any spell that exists, but can only use spell slots to cast them. You cannot perform rituals, so must use up spell slots for these. You lack at-will cantrips, and instead use 0-level spell slots to cast 0-level spells.
Cantrips are to casters what basic melee and ranged attacks are to martial characters. I usually chose one utility and one damaging cantrip for any caster character at 1st level; would you limit 1st-level martial characters to only being able to make an attack twice per day, as 1st-level casters are limited to 2 spell slots? Gotta keep cantrips.

Yaarel

He Mage
Cantrips are to casters what basic melee and ranged attacks are to martial characters. I usually chose one utility and one damaging cantrip for any caster character at 1st level; would you limit 1st-level martial characters to only being able to make an attack twice per day, as 1st-level casters are limited to 2 spell slots? Gotta keep cantrips.
Yeah. I love cantrips, would never do without them for any character concept that needs to feel magical.

The mental exercise is "hypothetical", to make the cantrip effect feel more scarce, in order to discern more clearly which cantrips have effects that are more useful than other cantrips.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases