D&D 5E What is the most powerful spell?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Color Spray shifts up into the Least Useful category. The duration of a single round and the need to be near and allies to clear away, make its worth of 2nd-level spell slot doubtful.
Looking at your list again you have CS listed as 1st-level...where it deserves a higher rating.

Also, some real arguments with the 3rd-level list - it seems your ratings are all to do with how useful a spell is in combat as opposed to the rest of the time. Combat isn't everything.

Create Food and Water - one of the best utility spells out there...no more carrying rations, no more dying of thirst in the desert. Should be at least mid-"Not Bad", as an average of not much use sometimes and spectacularly useful at others
Remove Curse - should be right alongside Dispel Magic in the "Good" list...or at least you'll think so once your bacon has been saved by its use a few times
Speak With Dead - does nobody ever talk to their defeated foes any more? This should be SOP! Raise to "Good"
Tongues - this one really depends on whether one's game has more or less realistic language rules and use. Low end of "Not Bad".

Plant Growth - does anyone ever cast this? Ever? Yeah, didn't think so. :) Down into "Least Useful" for me.

3rd level overall is one where there really aren't many spells that would rate below "Not Bad".

Lanefan

Last edited:

Thurmas

Explorer
Looking at your list again you have CS listed as 1st-level...where it deserves a higher rating.

Also, some real arguments with the 3rd-level list - it seems your ratings are all to do with how useful a spell is in combat as opposed to the rest of the time. Combat isn't everything.

Create Food and Water - one of the best utility spells out there...no more carrying rations, no more dying of thirst in the desert. Should be at least mid-"Not Bad", as an average of not much use sometimes and spectacularly useful at others
Remove Curse - should be right alongside Dispel Magic in the "Good" list...or at least you'll think so once your bacon has been saved by its use a few times
Speak With Dead - does nobody ever talk to their defeated foes any more? This should be SOP! Raise to "Good"
Tongues - this one really depends on whether one's game has more or less realistic language rules and use. Low end of "Not Bad".

Plant Growth - does anyone ever cast this? Ever? Yeah, didn't think so. :) Down into "Least Useful" for me.

3rd level overall is one where there really aren't many spells that would rate below "Not Bad".

Lanefan

Plant Growth is one of those spells I've always wanted to cast and never been in the right situation. I can imagine plopping it down on some enemies though and following it next turn with an insect plague or some other aoe. They'd be moving at a snails pace while taking damage every turn trying to get out. Plant Growth is huge in size and movement penalty.

Volund

Explorer
I am going to play the contrarian and say that fireball is an overrated spell. Cast as a 3rd level spell it does 28 hp avg dmg. It's strength is the ability to hit multiple enemies but that is also it's weakness. Unless you are an evoker, you can't use it around allies or people you are supposed to rescue. And even if you are an evoker you can't use it around flammable objects you are trying to recover (maps, histories, clues). If you are fighting larger creatures you may not even hit more than two or three enemies in a 20' radius. Saves and resistance can reduce dmg further. Haste your party's fighter or barbarian, esp if they have Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter, and they will do a lot more damage over ten rounds than a fireball spell. If you are a sorcerer and can twin a haste spell then fireball is not even close in power. Hypnotic pattern is arguably better than fireball, too. A fireballed creature will most likely not die and can hit back the next round. Hypnotic pattern has a one-time save and then the monster is out of the battle. If another monster uses an action to wake it, well that is one more action that wasn't used to attack you. Spirit Guardians will potentially do more damage over time than fireball, too, and also slows enemies down. I'm not saying fireball is crap, just that when you get to 5th level, doing 28 hp dmg twice per day with your 2 precious 3rd level slots isn't earthshaking compared to what fighter-types with Extra Attack or rogues using Sneak Attack are doing round after round at the same level, so you are probably better off doing something that helps your fighters fight better.

I also want to put in a plug for Sanctuary being a very useful spell, mainly because it is cast as a bonus action and doesn't require concentration! This makes it the perfect spell to protect any caster who is concentrating on a party buff, including yourself. Round 1, someone casts a buff like Bless, Greater Invis, Polymorph. Round 2, you cast Sanctuary on them and then they dodge for the duration. Compared to Shield of Faith, I think Sanctuary (as well as Prot from Evil/Good) is better.

Yaarel

He Mage

I had just been looking at 2nd-level spells and miswrote ‘2nd’, but I meant 1st-level spell slot. I corrected the post. Sleep is a decent 1st-level spell that is strictly better than Color Spray. Even on its own, the worth of preparing and spending a slot for Color Spray seems doubtful.

Create Food and Water - one of the best utility spells out there...no more carrying rations, no more dying of thirst in the desert. Should be at least mid-"Not Bad", as an average of not much use sometimes and spectacularly useful at others.

The thing is, outside of combat, it is usually skill checks that overcome most challenges. If a spell is redundant with a skill check, it remains unimpressive.

Create Food and Water might make a Not Bad spell − at 1st-level − to choose for the limited prepared/known spells. But as a 3rd-level spell it seems inflated. The Wisdom (Survival) skill checks take care of most nourishment needs when civilization is absent. Food rations are cheap and convenient (costing sp!). It is hard to justify preparing Create Food and Water as one of the few prepared spells to embark on an adventure.

Remove Curse - should be right alongside Dispel Magic in the "Good" list...or at least you'll think so once your bacon has been saved by its use a few times.

Both Dispel Magic and Remove Curse are 3rd-level spells. Dispel Magic automatically dispels all magical effects of 3rd level or lower, including to dispel Bestow Curse automatically. So by itself, Dispel Magic already seems to do everything that Remove Curse can do, and does much more. Possibly, Dispel Magic is unable to suppress the effect of a cursed item, if the creation of a magic item is interpreted as not involving ‘spells’, but cursed items are highly situational anyway. It seems unreasonable for a character to prepare Remove Curse ‘just in case’ they come across a cursed magic item or an enemy who happens to cast Bestow Curse. Remove Curse is a Least Useful spell.

The Speak with Dead spell explicitly states that the dead are permitted to tell false information − and especially, the defeated foes will intentionally lie.

Even the true information from a nonhostile dead person is ‘brief’ and ‘cryptic’. The spell description itself undermines its own usefulness, at any level.

Speak with Dead also appears on the Bard spell list. The Bard is strongly advised to not waste the small number of known spells on this spell, unless the player understands exactly what its limitations are and comes up with a good plan to work around them. Similarly, in the majority of situations, a Wizard does well to not prepare this spell in advance.

Most intelligent creatures speak Common, especially the ones players run into at lower levels. In unusual situations where Common was unknown, it is possible to cast the 1st-level Comprehend Languages, twice if necessary, one for each listener. It seems unwise to prepare Tongues ahead of time, ‘just in case’. On the other, if a player knows they are going into a situation where noone speaks Common, they would actually be in one of the rare situations where the Least Useful spell was useful.

If Tongues was a 2nd-level spell, even then, it would be Less Useful, because the chance of running into an intelligent creature that couldnt speak Common is less likely.

Better yet, make Tongues a 1st-level spell and get rid of Comprehend Languages. Even at 1st-level, Comprehend Languages is Less Useful, and a 1st-level Tongues would probably be Less Useful too.

Even when encountering someone that does not speak Common, players can attempt Intelligence checks and Wisdom (Insight) checks, to try communicate.

For players who like Plant Growth, its main value is as a barrier for ‘crowd control’ to keep hostiles at bay. It creates a difficult terrain that drastically reduces speed, while also allowing unlimited ‘sculpting’, such as to cover a smaller area or to make paths for allies. The spell synergizes with ranged attacks. That said, it must be outdoors, where plants are, with hostiles arriving from the distance.

Probably the comparison between Plant Growth and Wind Wall as barrier spells for ‘crowd control’, needs to be better understood. Plant Growth seems to be viewed favorably while Wind Wall is viewed as meh.

For now, Plant Growth ‘rises’ to Less Useful just ‘below’ Wind Wall. But keep scrutinizing them to help the rankings stabilize.

3rd level is a weird mix of great spells and subpar spells, with not much in between.

Some of the subpar spells might work better as a lower level spell, such as Daylight, Water Breathing, Create Food and Water, Tongues, Phantom Steed, etcetera.

Other subpar spells might need rethinking. For example, Remove Curse might merge with Bestow Curse for a single spell with several options.

Yaarel

He Mage
Mass Healing Word and Revivify are hard to rank.

On the one hand, they are Excellent powerful spells. On the other hand, players never want to be in the situation where they have to cast them. Mass Healing Word works ‘best’ after the party is almost at the point of a TPK. The use of Revivify means a character has already been killed, and no one was able to stabilize or heal them.

On the one hand, Revivify is the most powerful must-have, able in most circumstances, to stand in for a 5th-level Raise Dead, 7th- Resurrection, and 9th- True Resurrection. On the other hand, Mass Healing Word will most likely be cast more often, and the 1st-level Healing Word more often than that.

Their situationality needs to be looked at more carefully.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The thing is, outside of combat, it is usually skill checks that overcome most challenges. If a spell is redundant with a skill check, it remains unimpressive.

Create Food and Water might make a Not Bad spell − at 1st-level − to choose for the limited prepared/known spells. But as a 3rd-level spell it seems inflated. The Wisdom (Survival) skill checks take care of most nourishment needs when civilization is absent. Food rations are cheap and convenient (costing sp!). It is hard to justify preparing Create Food and Water as one of the few prepared spells to embark on an adventure.
Depends how harsh one is on the Survival skill checks, I suppose. For me, if you haven't got a Ranger in the party good luck with that in anything other than ideal conditions. :)

Also, if one doesn't know how many mouths one might eventually have to feed (e.g. a rescue mission) it's worth having handy.

Both Dispel Magic and Remove Curse are 3rd-level spells. Dispel Magic automatically dispels all magical effects of 3rd level or lower, including to dispel Bestow Curse automatically. So by itself, Dispel Magic already seems to do everything that Remove Curse can do, and does much more. Possibly, Dispel Magic is unable to suppress the effect of a cursed item, if the creation of a magic item is interpreted as not involving ‘spells’, but cursed items are highly situational anyway.
Depends on the game and-or DM. I know in this case I'd go 3e on it and have the level of the Bestow Curse's caster have a lot to say about how easy the curse is to simply Dispel.
It seems unreasonable for a character to prepare Remove Curse ‘just in case’ they come across a cursed magic item or an enemy who happens to cast Bestow Curse.
<insert evil cackle here>

Come and sit at my table, my pretty...yes, that's it...now roll up a character...heh heh... :)

The Speak with Dead spell explicitly states that the dead are permitted to tell false information − and especially, the defeated foes will intentionally lie.

Even the true information from a nonhostile dead person is ‘brief’ and ‘cryptic’. The spell description itself undermines its own usefulness, at any level.
Ah. Yes, it looks to have been horribly nerfed from what I'm used to; to the point of near-useless.

Most intelligent creatures speak Common, especially the ones players run into at lower levels.
Not at all the case in games I'm used to. Common is a language used mostly by traders and adventurers (and not even all adventurers know it - some players intentionally choose other languages instead) and not often by the general populace who instead use whatever language is local to their culture.
In unusual situations where Common was unknown, it is possible to cast the 1st-level Comprehend Languages, twice if necessary, one for each listener. It seems unwise to prepare Tongues ahead of time, ‘just in case’. On the other, if a player knows they are going into a situation where noone speaks Common, they would actually be in one of the rare situations where the Least Useful spell was useful.
If I'm in the Celtic lands, most people I meet will speak Celtic and only a few will speak Common. If I cross to Norse lands they'll speak Norse...and a few will speak Common. Dwarven lands...Dwarvish...etc.

Better yet, make Tongues a 1st-level spell and get rid of Comprehend Languages. Even at 1st-level, Comprehend Languages is Less Useful, and a 1st-level Tongues would probably be Less Useful too.
You'd need to add a decipher-writing part to Tongues, then.

Even when encountering someone that does not speak Common, players can attempt Intelligence checks and Wisdom (Insight) checks, to try communicate.
True, though failure could be risky via unintentional insult etc. :)

3rd level is a weird mix of great spells and subpar spells, with not much in between.

Some of the subpar spells might work better as a lower level spell, such as Daylight, Water Breathing, Create Food and Water, Tongues, Phantom Steed, etcetera.

Other subpar spells might need rethinking. For example, Remove Curse might merge with Bestow Curse for a single spell with several options.
Water Breathing is another example of a spell that's kinda useless most of the time but that every now and then becomes absolutely can't-finish-the-adventure-without-it essential...and is thus hard to rate on a general scale like this.

Maybe there needs to be a new "Highly Variable" category for such spells.

Lan-"highly-variable poster"-efan

Yaarel

He Mage
I am going to play the contrarian and say that fireball is an overrated spell. Cast as a 3rd level spell it does 28 hp avg dmg. It's strength is the ability to hit multiple enemies but that is also it's weakness. Unless you are an evoker, you can't use it around allies or people you are supposed to rescue. And even if you are an evoker you can't use it around flammable objects you are trying to recover (maps, histories, clues). If you are fighting larger creatures you may not even hit more than two or three enemies in a 20' radius. Saves and resistance can reduce dmg further. Haste your party's fighter or barbarian, esp if they have Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter, and they will do a lot more damage over ten rounds than a fireball spell. If you are a sorcerer and can twin a haste spell then fireball is not even close in power. Hypnotic pattern is arguably better than fireball, too. A fireballed creature will most likely not die and can hit back the next round. Hypnotic pattern has a one-time save and then the monster is out of the battle. If another monster uses an action to wake it, well that is one more action that wasn't used to attack you. Spirit Guardians will potentially do more damage over time than fireball, too, and also slows enemies down. I'm not saying fireball is crap, just that when you get to 5th level, doing 28 hp dmg twice per day with your 2 precious 3rd level slots isn't earthshaking compared to what fighter-types with Extra Attack or rogues using Sneak Attack are doing round after round at the same level, so you are probably better off doing something that helps your fighters fight better.

All true. But to be fair, Fireball is extremely effective at the level it becomes available. 28 damage across a wide area often enough ends an encounter. Moreover, not every party has a Fighter, and even if it does, the Wizard might be responsible for dealing with multiple targets, which Fireball is great at, while the Fighter focuses on a single target.

That said, both Fireball and Hypnotic Pattern are Excellent spells. If you want to suggest a list with reordered spells within the Excellent category, please do so. We can comb thru it together.

I also want to put in a plug for Sanctuary being a very useful spell, mainly because it is cast as a bonus action and doesn't require concentration! This makes it the perfect spell to protect any caster who is concentrating on a party buff, including yourself. Round 1, someone casts a buff like Bless, Greater Invis, Polymorph. Round 2, you cast Sanctuary on them and then they dodge for the duration. Compared to Shield of Faith, I think Sanctuary (as well as Prot from Evil/Good) is better.

Sanctuary seems a mix. It is an effective defense, but simultaneously removes the character from being able to do offense. This is the same problem with Gaseous Form. In the case of Sanctuary, this means the ‘protected’ target is defacto removed from the game, or else the character happens to be one that specializes in buffing allies. In either case, the usefulness is more situational. Maybe not as extreme as Gaseous Form, but a liability nonetheless.

I did nudge Sanctuary ‘downward’ a bit. But it is hard for me to see it as more useful than Detect Magic. (Detect Magic is a radar for significant hostiles or magic treasure. A kind of ‘Spidey sense’.) It is even difficult for me to justify Sanctuary as better than Longstrider. In my experience, ‘kiting’ (attacking from a safe distance) is a highly effective tactic, as long as ‘tanks’ are present. So the extra +10 feet speed to outrun any hostiles who try approach is a powerful defense, in many situations. Bane is good, not only because it disadvantages hostile attacks, but because the disadvantaged save makes the target vulnerable to further spells. I do get your argument that using Sanctuary to protect a caster who is buffing the entire party is valuable.

Yaarel

He Mage
I made an other pass thru 3rd-level spells. There is some reordering, to finetune some of the positions, but nothing too dramatic. Have an other look at 3rd.

I am still torn about the category of Revivify, Mass Healing Word, and Counterspell. They are extremely powerful, yet infrequent. Are they Excellent or Good? I had them at Excellent, now have them at Good, but might shift them back to Excellent. Essentially, the spells are in the same position, and the border between the two categories is moving.

Yaarel

He Mage
Water Breathing is another example of a spell that's kinda useless most of the time but that every now and then becomes absolutely can't-finish-the-adventure-without-it essential...and is thus hard to rate on a general scale like this.

Maybe there needs to be a new "Highly Variable" category for such spells.

Yeah. "Water Breathing is kinda useless but every now and then becomes absolutely essential."

That is exactly the reason I feel Water Breathing needs to be a 1st-level spell.

It has happened more than once. An aquatic campaign started at level 1. So, implausibly, every character in the party started with a magic item that allowed water breathing.

The spell is little more than an entrance into a setting, and has no other powerful application. This setting is appropriate for low levels. The spell should be 1st-level.

Later, it might be worthwhile to split the Less Useful spells into "Situationally Effective" versus "Less Effective"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases