D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] gaining negative features for positive features

Jaxom

First Post
Building a character using the v.3.5 rules I had my Dwarven fighter pick up the negative Feat, Terrett's Syndrome.

Figuring the -4 on Bluff, Diplomacy, Move Silently, Handle Animal, Hide, and Use Magic Device checks, in order to get a +6 on Intimidation checks didn't seem too bad.

Does anyone think that it would be too much to drop the +6 on the Intimidation check to pick up another feat. Also, I was wondering why this Feat is available as a Fighter Bonus Feat, just seemed odd to me.

Picturing the Dwarf sneaking down a dungeon corridor with the party when (bad roll) "f _ _ _ s_ _ _ !!"

kreynolds

First Post
Jaxom said:
Does anyone think that it would be too much to drop the +6 on the Intimidation check to pick up another feat.

Not at all. In fact, I would normally recommend the It’s Not Over Yet feat (not a fighter bonus feat, unfortunately).

myradale

First Post
Ok...old thread, new question... what book are you getting negative feats from?

I love the idea, but can't find it in any of my books.

thanks.

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't trust the sort of feats which give you a bonus here in exchange for a drawback there, unless either of these are true:

- the drawback is on one general thing such as AC, ST, HP or otherwise Spot/Listen, Init and Speed; e.g. UA Flaws, but not all of them

- the drawback is on a directly related matter and in fact you pay the cost before getting the benefit; e.g. Power Attack, Combat Expertise

Other cases seem to me quite easy to circumvent. It doesn't matter if the feat costs you a -4, -20 or -100 to one skill, you'll eventually simply avoid using that skill ever (this isn't that easy e.g. on Spot & Listen). Therefore I don't usually see the point of such feats. If one wanted +6 on Intimidate, I'd rather consider introducing some sort of Improved Skill Focus rather than a feat with a false drawback to justify the higher bonus...

cmanos

First Post
Jaxom said:
Building a character using the v.3.5 rules I had my Dwarven fighter pick up the negative Feat, Terrett's Syndrome.QUOTE]

I think you mean Tourette's Syndrome. Perhaps you should research the illness a little more. It doesn't JUST make you spout out obsenities, that actually happens to a very, very small portion of those who suffer from the condition. It also makes you twitch and convulse during moments of stress. In a medieval time period you would probably be considered possessed.

"Involuntary symptoms can include eye blinking, repeated throat clearing or sniffing, arm thrusting, kicking movements, shoulder shrugging or jumping."

Check it out...and make sure your DM does too...cause he could REALLY screw you over....

http://www.tsa-usa.org/

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases