D&D 5E Warhammer 40k D&D 5E Hack - Heresy for the God-Emperor

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
I'm away from my books at the moment so I'm only working from memory but...

First I have to a knowledge that it is very challenging to design for space marines, since they are so freaking powerful. But that isn't really what I meant.

Rather the design of the auto fire rules meant that one blast from a bolter (on auto) had a more than 50% chance of killing a chaos marine outright (who should be as powerful as a space marine). However the chaos space marine had almost a good chance of doing the same!

Basically auto fire meant that whoever won initiative was going to kill the other... And that isn't good game design :/

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Ahhh. That can happen here for regular humans (with horrible luck) but is not likely for a space marine (the player race has a specific "really hard to perma-kill" feature). :)

also

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Mike Myler

Korn sitting on his throne, the Kob :D

Seriously though... what *is* the full auto mechanism/rule? That could alleviate some of my concerns :)

Ah! That's in Post #2 - Equipment. There's also a "spray an area" attack and weapons that do area attacks.

Any ranged weapon below that does not have the loading property is assumed to have the autofire property.

Autofire. A character wielding an autofire weapon may spend a bonus action to gain an additional attack at disadvantage. If the wielder is able to make an additional attack as a bonus action for some other reason, they may make both attacks but with disadvantage.

Bullet Spray. Bullet spraying weapons can expend five times as much ammunition as normal to spray a 5-foot-cube area within its first range increment as an action. Creatures in the area of effect that fail a Dexterity saving throw (DC equal to the wielder’s attack roll) take the weapon’s normal damage. By expending 10 times as much ammunition as normal, the wielder can increase the area to a 10-foot-cube.

Stalker0

Legend

Some good stuff in here!

I like your auto fire rule, so much simpler than the 40k rules....which were so clunky it turned my players off of it.

My only thought for the various armors. To make it more 5eish, i would just go with resistance to damage and then adjust the ac value for higher armors. That’s more in line with the core rules

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Ah! That's in Post #2 - Equipment. There's also a "spray an area" attack and weapons that do area attacks.

Thank you.

See in the old system (working from memory here), auto fire on someone would give you a bonus to hit, *and* per each amount of success (10%? 20%) above the required target, you would get an extra hit. So for a skilled shooter it was *very* easy to get 3-4 hits on the target with a decent roll. And with the way bolters and wounds worked in the old system, this was *devastating* - leading to chaos marines dying after a single blast.

What you are proposing is much more reasonable.

Mike Myler

Some good stuff in here!

I like your auto fire rule, so much simpler than the 40k rules....which were so clunky it turned my players off of it.

My only thought for the various armors. To make it more 5eish, i would just go with resistance to damage and then adjust the ac value for higher armors. That’s more in line with the core rules

You could also pop up the AC by 1 or 2 for every stage of AC increase you feel is appropriate (there are a total of 3 per category for space marines) but the higher you put up a player/NPC's AC in here, the less likely they are to suffer from targeted hits so do so with care (also a reminder--only major NPCs should targeted-hit the adventurers).

The heresy continues with statblocks for Slaanesh in today's Warhammer 40k D&D 5E Hack!

Remove ads