D&D 5E [5e] Warlock (Hexblade) build help

Endarrion

First Post
Hello everyone. I need some help with a build. I want to play a Hexblade Warlock (from UA) in my next campaign (we're starting at level 1). I want to build toward taking the invocation from UA that allows you to smite and also get as much mileage as possible out of the Hexblade. I rolled stats and got: 16, 15, 13, 12, 9, 9.

What I'm having trouble with is finding a reliable way to get advantage on attacks. I know there's the Darkness and Devil's Sight trick, but I feel like that might hamper my party a little too much. I've been thinking about multiclassing Barbarian (or starting with Barb and going Warlock) for Reckless Attack. What's the best level plan? We're playing Curse of Strahd, which ends around level 10 or there about, so I don't want to play a build that gets going too late.

On another note, should I even worry about getting advantage that much? I'm not necessarily crit-fishing, but hitting more is good. Just really unsure how to get the most out of the Hexblade. I was also thinking about using Great Weapon Master for EVEN MOAR DAMAGE. But again, kinda need reliable advantage for that.

Right now I'm thinking start Barb til 2, then Warlock X, or Barb 3/ War X. Extra attack from Barb is nice, but I don't mind using an invocation for that. Basically any race is up for discussion, but I was thinking Human for the bonus feat.

bid

First Post
Hex warrior doesn't work with heavy weapons, versatile is the biggest that uses Cha.

After Cha, Con, Dex, you don't have much to MC barbarian. Con12 is low and Dex14 + medium armor gives you AC17.

I really dont understand a barbarian/warlock. You cant use any of your Warlock :):):):) really if you are raging. But anyway as strength based you would be able to use a pact 2-handed sword for the smite. No real reason to be a Hexblade though. They really suck.

You'd be better off barbarian/warlock pact of the blade and leave it at that. Eldrich blast for back up, fiend summoned weapon lets you smite it just doesnt pass your curse around. I would probably go fighter 2/then warlock myself. Action surge at the right time is crazy, weapon style, plate mail, all the fun.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Paladin/Warlock. It might not help your Advantage issue (Rogue/Warlock might?), but when you hit, you'd hit HARD.

Note that UA is not recommended for multi-classing; as always, check with your DM.

Endarrion

First Post
Barbarian just seemed like the easiest way to get advantage so that I could make GWM work and take advantage of the 19-20 crit chance. DM ok'd the combo already. If I were to go straight Warlock (or not multi Barb), what's the best way to take advantage of the Hexblade features? I could dip fighter for Dueling and Action Surge.

EDIT: already played a paladin in the last campaign so I'd rather stay away from that.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Are you using the Hexblade Smite invocation from the original UA or the generic Pact Blade smite from the revised UA? If the former, Str build would be best. If the latter, then I'd go Cha/Con to leverage the Hexblade +Cha to hit.

Endarrion

First Post
So now I'm thinking of 2 Barb/War builds and 1 straight War.

1. Max Str, 13 Cha just to multi Warlock and use spell slots to smite and cast spells like Armor of Agathys. Probably stick with medium armor. Maybe boost Cha later to make more use of spells, etc.
2. Split Str/Cha evenly, wear medium armor, take Barb to at least 3 to get bear totem rage to offset RA and lower Con score.
3. Straight Warlock, sword and board with warcaster, smite if I get a lucky crit, but otherwise use spells as spells instead of smites.

mellored

Legend
What I'm having trouble with is finding a reliable way to get advantage on attacks. I know there's the Darkness and Devil's Sight trick, but I feel like that might hamper my party a little too much.
There's several rules to read, but the end result of combatants not being able to see eachother is no advantage, no disavantage, no OA's, no guessing where people are (unless they take the hide action), and it prevents a few spells like hold person.

For the most part, everyone just does a normal attack roll and gets to run around a bit more. Not a big hindrance.

The big downside is that it takes an action. Unless you have a chance to cast it before battle, it's usually not worth missing your first turn.
Also, you don't have many slots for both smiting and advantage.

A better way to get advantage might be shield master and 1 level of rogue for athletic expertise.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases