Clockwork, Steam & Sorcery - Episode 2

loxmyth

First Post
Clockwork, Steam & Sorcery: Part the second
,being a tale of intrigue and adventure in the streets of Arcosia.

The players:
  • Argent ~ Forge Ironsong
  • Uriel_fire_of_heaven ~ Froud Galvinium
  • Seonaid ~ Miriah Kalindos
  • Bruin ~ Aerandir Lindithil
  • Badger ~ Lartis "The Lame"

~

The day dawned brightly, a good deal warmer than was normal for an autumn day. The unusual, oppressive, humid heat that seemed to come and go according to the whims of the gods had returned in full force, blanketing the city. In the uncomfortable smog, most citizens seemed content to wear their summer clothes, and went on with lazy caution.

Everything seemed slow and sluggish, and the seconds crawled by at a snail's pace.

While people were slow, talk was fast. Rumour had spread across campus - Longstock had yet another murder suspect, and this one a half-orc brute! Surely, the rumours said, the other suspect with the orc-blade and this one were in cahoots? The rumours also placed two of the student's colleagues at the scene as the ones who lead the guard to the suspect. Forge and Froud found themselves the subject of curious stares throughout the morning.

In the confines of a small cluttered class in the University's Northern tower, Professor Allasar Cronk paused during his lecture on the Subformulae of Teolian Abjurations to push open the stain glassed windows. This relieved some of the stifling temperature of the room, but it was not until the professor summoned an air elemental or three and bid them race around the class did the class experience some relief. Cronk was a jolly, slightly plump man whose fatherly ruddy-cheeked face always had a cheerful smile on it.

"Ah, now where was I?" He turned back to the chalkboard that dominated the wall before them, and then nodded. "Ah yes. Certain wizards, usually those who are dedicated abjurers, have such an uncanny faculty with the ether they can manipulate it in such a way as to protect themselves from any kind of harm for a few moments. Of course," he adds with a grin and a wink, "the rest of us must cheat by crafting a spell." He drew a piece of chalk from his desk and began to write out the arcane symbols that represented the basic warding spell. "Of course, you will have to attune the spell and internalize, but it's quite a basic thing. I will give you the rest of class to prepare and cast it, and come around to see how each of you are doing. Begin at your leisure, please."

With that cue the students, Forge and Miriah among them, started the task of transcribing the spell to their tomes.

~

In the Music Hall on the other side of campus, Maestro Purgis shook his head in disgust. "No, no, no! You're doing it all wrong! Murder! Murder! That's what you're doing to Mandal's 3rd Aria to Orma. Were the man alive right now he'd be livid! As livid as I!" Glowering, the stately halfling tucked his baton under an armpit and strutted towards his orchestra. "Findlay! Are you completely tone deaf? I've heard cats in heat make a better sound! Lartis, were you asleep again, you oaf? Your cue is on the twenty-eighth beat. Twenty eight, I'm sure you can count that high if you remove your boots. Lindithil, Leafsinger, do not mutter your lines, enunciate. Enunciate! How can you expect to lead the chorus if you can't even get the lines right?"

Red faced, the Maestro turned away, stalking for the door. "Forget it, we're ruined. I go to drown myself in drink, and possibly the Westering. Perhaps that will remove your incessant racket from my ears! Less than a week away! I'm ruined! Ruined!" And with that the instructor swept from the room, leaving the performers, including Aerandir and Lartis to their own devices.

~

Froud always felt at home in the bowels of the Mechanical Laboratory. Tucked under the school in a large burrowed cavern, every wall was covered with blueprints for various clockwork designs. Here, Professor Angstrom would give the occaisional disjointed lecture, but they were few and far between; most of the time, he seemed surprised when he found students in the lab upon his morning arrival. Of course, today he sat at his desk, completely absorbed in writings as cryptic as any arcane tome. As usual, Fozwith Brackett conducted the class.

"So as you can see," the little gnome said from behind thick spectacles, waving at the chalkboard behind him, "we will begin construction on something of true complexity. Clocks and gears and levers, you've mastered them in your previous years and have done well enough to be invited back again. There will be several projects, all longer term than you are used to. Indeed, you will be expected to do most of the design work yourself. Many of these projects will be mandated by the curriculum, but a few will be self directed. In all cases, creativity is encouraged." He paused and pinched the end of his curled mustache, surveying the class. He waved a hand at the chalk board again. "Here, we have a rather basic design for a steam powered boat. It won't be full size, of course, but may make it more difficult. Any questions?"

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Forge

Forge raises his hand and stands up to ask a question as is right for a Dwarf to do. Professor Cronk, Can you explain to me the use of Divination magics? Obviously after class I did not mean to disrupt the class but feel that if I don't ask now that I might forget.
Gears sits purched on one of the rungs with the othwer avian familiars the events of the night before drifting from his mind.

bruin

First Post
"Enunciate, enunciate," Aery says in a sarcastic tone after Purgis leaves. "And what does he mean mutter? I NEVER mutter," he mutters. "I've got half a mind to get myself bloody drunk as well and throw him in the damn river myself."

Then, cheering up a bit, Aery turns to Lartis; "Some drinks might be a good way to unwind a bit, later on when we're done for the day. You up for it?"

Last edited:

Seonaid

Explorer
Miriah dutifully applies herself to her studies, Mouse watching on from her corner of the desk. For about a minute, Miriah concentrates and does good work, but then her efforts are disrupted by Forge's question. She stops mid-symbol. The pen drips ink onto her book as she stares at Forge as though she'd never seen him before. Even Mouse's mental squawk at the destruction of the page does not move Miriah's gaze.

Badger

First Post
{Lartis}

As the tempermental halfling stormed from the room, Lartis looked down upon his cymbal clad hands and tried to dispel the image of placing the director's head between them and showing just how well he could count to twenty-eight.

~Such thoughts may not be becoming of a priest, but I doubt that any would begrudge me them right now...

[Aery]

"Some drinks might be a good way to unwind a bit, later on when we're done for the day. You up for it?"

{Lartis}

While he had not been much of a drinker before he had began rooming with Aery. Lartis had to admit that the evenings he spent with the elf in the taverns had not been unenjoyable.

"Aye, I think the gods would grant us their blessing considering we have endured three hours of hell."

bruin

First Post
"Well, I'm off to tinker with some of my toys right now in the shop. Still haven't got the damn lute sound emulated yet, the pitch is too tinny and ..."

At this moment he notices that one of departing students gives Lartis a suspicious glance.

"And, well, I forgot what I was going to say, I just need to fiddle around a bit. But listen," he says, getting serious, "You've been getting some nasty looks today, with the news about the murderer they caught being a half-orc and all. Best be on your guard till we meet up at...where? the Badger? And we best not unwind too much, if you get my meaning, until things get back to normal around here."

He waits to see if Lartis says anything else, otherwise he'll head off until they meet up again.

Last edited:

Badger

First Post
Nodding his head at Aery's warning, Lartis looked around at the departing students and saw more than he liked casting the glances his way. While he wore the black and red garmets of the clergy, it did little for those who could not see past the gray tint to his skin, and the twin tusks which protruded from his lips.

"The Badger will be fine, and good luck with your crafting this afternoon. Shall we meet up at the usual hour?"

As the elf nodded as he left, Lartis placed the cymbals securely in their harness and picked up his walking cane as he headed for the door. Thus far the warm weather had allowed him to walk with relative ease, but this morning the throbbing in the joint had been nearly enough to keep him in his room.

~The weakness of the body can be overcome through strength of the spirit...~

Repeating the simple mantra over and over, Lartis began the the short walk out of the classroom.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Froud scribbles calculatin into his notebook, clearly oblivious to the lecture, though he looks up ad smiles at intervals, nodding in thought and generally looking as if he was listening.
His project would be wondrous indeed...if only he could get the numbers right. As well, last night' s events had stirred something in Froud that he had been lacking in his recent life...Adventure! The young Gnome was all awash with thoughts of the evenings doings.

Anal-Spelling-Edit

Last edited:

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Uriel_fire_of_Heaven said:
last night' s events had stirred something in Froud that he had been lacking in his recent life...Adventure! The young Gnome was all awash with thoughts of the evenings doings.

OOC: Forge gets a sudden sense of doom.

loxmyth

First Post
Re: Forge

Argent said:
Forge raises his hand and stands up to ask a question as is right for a Dwarf to do. Professor Cronk, Can you explain to me the use of Divination magics? Obviously after class I did not mean to disrupt the class but feel that if I don't ask now that I might forget.
Gears sits purched on one of the rungs with the othwer avian familiars the events of the night before drifting from his mind.

Professor Cronk gave the young dwarf a sad smile and shrugged. "Unfortunately, Master Ironsong, Divination is a discipline outside my purview. However, I can recommend you to Professor Midwinter, who is quite adept at divining. I suspect that you'll be quite satisfied with her advice."

Pulling a piece of parchment and pen from his desk, he quickly wrote down a few instructions for Forge and handed them to him.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases