TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ed Cha said:
Gary,

I've noticed you seem to be writing a lot of mega-modules lately. Is this a publishing decision or just because you like doing them?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of mega-modules unless they're really good like the ones you did with "Necropolis" or "The Temple of Elemental Evil". I'd much prefer a series.

Ed

Hi Ed,

There are plenty of short modules around, and when I am writing an adventure I figure why not add a little more effort and make the work something that I can use for a longer period of time? I really don't like module writing all that much, but once I get started on it I get into the work and have fun, so they tend to grow apace thus. There is another motive behind this, of course. That is that I don't want to create a module that is like any of the others I've done, so I tend to seek further afield for something new and different for most of this form of writing.

However, I have just sent in a LA "Primer" game campaign-base module for the Trolls to release immediately after the boxed set hits the stands. It isn't all that long, contains a village with some role-playing activity as it's introduction, some combat in that as things do along, then a couple of relatively short fprays for adventuring outside the hamlet, and as a capper a rather lengthy dungeon crawl. With that I've tossed in a goodly number of expansion ideas and adventure springboards for the GM to use to build a local campaign, and it's all under 60K words, with three encounter area maps and one map of the hamlet of c. 400 pop.:)

The introductory campaign-base module meant for the new C&C rules is considerably larger, a bixed set size likley, but that's because it is to serve as the platform for a slug of add-on parts meant to come thereafter, one of which Rob Kuntz has outlined now.

Cheers,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Hiya Gary. This is a question a bit off the beaten path for these threads, but I thought I'd ask you as a fellow Robert E. Howard/Conan fan...with L. Sprague deCamp's death a couple of years ago, a chapter in the Cimmerian's printed saga ended. I always thought deCamp was a talented, imaginative writer when doing his own material, but I didn't very much care for his rewriting of Howard's material to make it more "palatable" for a modern audience (which was pretty much how it was justified). What are your thoughts on his role in helping to popularize Conan? Other than Glen Lord, I can't think of anyone other than deCamp more instrumental in making Conan popular. On the other hand, the often draconian rewrites of Howard obscured the raw power of Howard's prose in many instances. Thoughts? Agree/disagree?

Plus, did you ever read any of Lin Carter's Callipygia/Mandricardo books? If so, any opinions?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Greetings ColonelHardisson!

As a fan of REH and Conan, I must say that I find no fault in your analysis of Sprague's handling of the revisions he did. De Camp was one of my favorite authors, especially when he wrote with Fletcher Pratt, but his work on Howard's original material left me cold. I found it inferior to the original writing. I read my first Conan yarm c. 1948 and was captivated.

As for Lin Carter's work, I fear I have nothing positive to say, for I didn't like his style.

Cheers,
Gary

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
I would love to play in a Castles & Crusades game next year at the Milwaukee Gamefest if you were running one, Gary. :)

Also, can you tell me if C&C will have any similarities to the pre-D&D games that you played in that wargaming group? I think I'm on the membership list for C&C at TLG, but I haven't gotten the full 411 from Steve or Davis yet.

By the way, have you heard of the Tom Wham and Jim Ward project, "Planet Busters"? I just read a TLG press release about it.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ed Cha said:
I would love to play in a Castles & Crusades game next year at the Milwaukee Gamefest if you were running one, Gary. :)

Also, can you tell me if C&C will have any similarities to the pre-D&D games that you played in that wargaming group? I think I'm on the membership list for C&C at TLG, but I haven't gotten the full 411 from Steve or Davis yet.

By the way, have you heard of the Tom Wham and Jim Ward project, "Planet Busters"? I just read a TLG press release about it.

Felicitations!

The direction of the C&C rules is not my perview, Ed, although I do get input, so you'll have to see what the Trolls have to say about the matter.

I have heard that TLG was working with Tom, but with my nose to the creative grindstone here I don't have much time for delving into those things that might distract;)

Cheers,
gary

grodog

Hero
Col_Pladoh said:
Darn! Thanks for posting the link:)

De nada, Gary. I don't know that I have collected any other gems like that, but if anything comes up I'll forward it to you and Rob.

Allan, I had totally forgotten that lurid tale I wrote. It was a dramatization of an actual dungeon adventure into the enlarged Castle Greyhawk that Rob and I co-DMed, of course, and an accurate one too. The strange rod was a Dirdir laser pistol gained from adventuring through a gate that brought PCs to the "Pkanet of Adventure" and the "Carabas" thereof.

I wondered if the ray-gun had come from there or from the Barrier Peak starship; thanks for clearing that up!

Anyway, I have the map of the level, of ourse, and it might make it into the revised form we need to have so as to have a product that is publishable. At worst it can be used as a potential add-on module to the main levels.

So I have saved the story and will see what can be done in regards including the level in the Zagyg's Castle project.

Excellent, and I'm glad to hear that. The episode definitely captured my imagination!

On a module-related note, I recently dusted off my copy of GW1 Legion of Gold, which you co-wrote with Luke and Paul Reiche. This is the only TSR-era module that I recall you co-writing---was this effort one that you worked up from Luke's concepts, or vice-versa? I only know Paul Reiche from his OD&D books published with Erol Otus; what were his contributions to the final adventure?

Thanks again for the news on the Black Reservoir Gary---it makes my birthday morning brighter already :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
grodog said:
On a module-related note, I recently dusted off my copy of GW1 Legion of Gold, which you co-wrote with Luke and Paul Reiche. This is the only TSR-era module that I recall you co-writing---was this effort one that you worked up from Luke's concepts, or vice-versa? I only know Paul Reiche from his OD&D books published with Erol Otus; what were his contributions to the final adventure?

Thanks again for the news on the Black Reservoir Gary---it makes my birthday morning brighter already :D

Happy Birthday, Allen:)

I was living in the big place near Clinton, Wisconsin, working in a little library-study there when Luck came in and told me about his ideas for a Gamma World module. He dictated a lot of the content of the Legion of Gold adventure, so I listed him as author. Darned if I can recall what Paul Reiche added to the work, perhaps some development to make it a longer one.

At least he didn't screw anything up as happened with one helpful editor who removed "Mignol Chorts, still fresh in their plastic wrapper," and "Grey modeling clay,' as well as "Package of firecrackers" from a long list of things to discover. The idiot left in the C4 explosvive, but there was no fooler inert clay, and nothing to set off the plastique, since the flash crackers weren't there. Worst of all, though, no character was able to find and consume the Mignol Chorts, a Tom Whamism for Twinkies;)

Cheers,
Gary

mossfoot

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh, Noah...

Love the mini ads for Fuzzy Knights!

Funny you should mention my campaign. As a matter of fact I cancelled four sessions so as to be able to keep up with work. We resume play this month on the 15th.

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks, Gary! I made a couple of them, I think I'll switch over to the animated ad for a while ;)

Whoa! four sessions? Do you generally play once or twice a week? I've been out of it for over a month now, but that was because of a bike trip and my brother visiting Japan... :rolleyes:

Okay, okay, last time I post here, I promise! I bug you enough as it is :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Yuppers, Noah,

I scotched four sessions, a month of time as we play only once a week. It is the 13th we resume, though, not the 15th. We play Thursday nights for three to four hours time. When I need to concentrate on creative work not related to the campaign, which was the case, it is necessary to stay focused and working, so there goes game play.

Fortunately all is now in good shape, so the campaign can be run without messing up my work schedule.

The animated ad for Fuzzy Knights is a great one, BTW:)

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases