TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Quasqueton said:
Col_Pladoh,

Why all the secrecy about Mordenkainen's stats? This character has been written up previously in the old Rogue's Gallery, in Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure, and in the recent Epic Level Handbook. (I have them all, and there is only very little difference between the writeups, so they must be at least close to accurate.)

I can understand not wanting to retype the character's stats everytime someone asks, or just not knowing the stats off the top of your head, but you have said several times that I've read, that you are adamant about not giving out the stats of your PCs -- especially one that you currently play.

Why is this? It just seems overly protective of something that doesn't need protection. I mean, what do you fear someone is going to do with the stats if you announce them (beyond what has already been published)?

Quasqueton
or else none of th published stats or information are correct and they are just something some one made up, and Gary would rather keep the real stuff to himself.
ken

fusangite

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
An excellent question. the plethora of critters offered is a game device meant to keep the DM supplied with as large a roster of strange beasts to throw at his players as was needed. For dungeon adventuring and really wild wilderness, such a broad variety makes sense.

For a defined world that is less magic-heavy, then a narrower range of creatures is more logical. In my Greyhawk campaign something over half as many monsters as were included in the three bestiary books were in play, the vast majority of those in dungeons or other planes.

I confess to creating new creatures in many a module just to have something confront the PCs that they didn't recognize and know how to deal with...

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks for this. I certainly appreciate the impulse to create new monsters. Right now, I'm modeling those medieval dog-headed men I've become so enchanted with. Specifically, I'm modeling the type of dog-headed man Saint Christopher was -- 12' tall, unable to speak, natural life-span 300+ years. I'm kind of amazed someone hasn't already made these guys.

Here's one tough aspect of this, though: in my current campaigns, people have Summon Monster spells; because the planes system creates a multiverse, I don't know how much business I have circumscribing what they can summon. Theoretically, I suppose, these creatures might exist on some other plane of existence; what do you think would be a reasonable way to regulate what can be summoned by way of this spell? This becomes even more problematic with the Summon Nature's Ally spells. A pivotal combat in a campaign I just ended was resolved by the characters summoning a Dire Bear into an African environment. It was such an innovative thing to do, I chose not to argue but I was left unsure of whether I should have ruled it out.

LordVyreth

First Post
I haven't seen the films, although "The Summoner" clip is a hoot! I enjoy KoDT, dork tower, and Nodwick. Naturally, I don't take myself, or GAMING, TOO SERIOUSLY

Check out this web site for the movie: www.deadgentlemen.com. Gamers is a classic in the making, and definately worth checking out.

And I figured as much about the campaign discussion thing. Now I'm not sure if I'm glad I didn't bother, or I'm disappointed I didn't get it out before I knew it was bad. You know, that whole forgiveness versus persmission thing. :D

Moving on from alignment questions, here's something similar. It seems that people are getting more into playing good individuals of typically evil races, like orcs and drow, and even generally universally evil beings like demons and vampires. Do you agree that it's a new thing, or has that been a constant throughout the game? If it is new, do you think it reflects a way gamers look at the world and concepts like universal evil, or is it just because evil characters are considered "cooler" for some reason? I'll post my opinions, but I'd like to hear what you think first.

Vyreth

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
When I am less busy I'll see about the humor on the website you note.

As for playing an evil-race character as non-evil, sure! Why not, as there is variation of such outlook in most fantasy races. The general alignment category speaks to the racial propensity and the bent of the majority of it, but certainly a lot of individuals can be different.

That does not apply to it inherantly evil entities such as vampires, let alone demons and devils. There the modification might be in orderliness (Law-Chaos) and the degree of Evil, the dilligence with which the wicked and malign is pursued. Just as there are truly evil people with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, so too all such creatures of Evil, for they epitomize that trait.

Cheers,
Gary

LordVyreth

First Post
Well, The Gamers is actually available on DVD, so you'll have to actually order it to see it. It's worth the money, though!

Yeah, but the thing is, people are playing good members of inherently evil races, and/or houseruling that even these creatures don't always reflect one alignment. There are some examples of that in the official settings, as well (like the Planescape setting, and the video game based on such. Not to mention numerous Dragon articles.)

Personally, I find it to be a positive change myself. I think a lot of people, especially members of social minorities like most gamers, identify themselves as the target of stereotypes, and recognize how harmful they are on a personal and sociological basis. As a result, when they hear about a group regarded as always evil, etc., they tend to emphasis with it. Of course, there's also the built-in character depth that comes with it (well, when not ripping a famous character of completely,) and the general appeal of the forbidden or taboo concepts. To be fair, there's some historical and modern mythological precedent for non-evil undead, alignment-changing outsiders, and such. And there's always the handy Helm of Opposite Alignment trick to make it work in-game.

Vyreth

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Setting aside the debate of nature versus nurture, there are always abberations, and with intelligent creatures change is possible. Consider how many monks and priests were martyred in the conversion of the Friesains to Christianity, but eventually they prevailed. Contrast that with non-intelligent species, a wolverine for example. The likelihood of one not being an aggressive hunter-killer is infinitismal.

"Outsiders" is not a term that properly connotes non-human origination. It implies that the world is the inner, central place. Demons and devils are creatures of pure evil, just as there those of pure good. Neither sort of entity can ever be anything else in my view. It is akin to the wolverine example given above.

"Minorities" aren't that in their own country, and RPGs, D&D in particular, are played in thre majority of nations of the world. It is social-economic class that is the determanant, not ethnicity. Most gamers are highly literate and of the middle class. About a quarter of them are connected to information technology. In all, males outnumber females by about 9 to 1--so there's the minority that publishers would most like to attract to RPGs ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Faraer said:
4:1 according to WotC's 2000 market research piece, and I doubt the ratio has since got worse.

Let me say that I am highly doubtful regarding the accuracy of that claim. If as many as 10% of the RPG (excluding LARPers) audience is female, I will be surprised. I have seen other surveys with meaningful samplings that indicate the percentage of females is somewhere between 6% and 9%. That is players, not necessarily consumers. However, even the dubious 20% figure indicates a minority of considerable proportions, no?

Somehow Political correctness seems to be working its way into gaming, and that's a dispicable thing, as Political Correctness is thought control. As author Richard Payne Knight notes, "Poverty of expression will product poverty of conception." Offense at what is said is too easily taken these days, hindering free speech and free thinking.

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary, when do you think your LEJENDARY ASTEROGUES expansion for the LA game will be available in stores? I think a huge, sprawling fantasy-science campaign would be a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases