TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
G'day Gary!

Did you have a nice birthday? :)

The ENworld "Happy Birthday Gary!" thread can be found here.

Cheers!

Hoi Merric!

Thanks for the special thread. I've been there and posted a brief response. That was a most touching series of good wishes, and it made me want to have a great big party for all that sent along their kind thoughts and congratulations;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hadit said:
Hello Gary!
I hope all is well!

I've just come from Dragonfoot where the torch burns as strong as ever for good ole' 1E D&D! (Huzzah!)
A question though... and a hypothetical one at that (which I know you have distaste for... sorry).

That's it! I've HADIT!!!

:D

If original D&D had remained within your control over these long years, do you imagine that it's future incarnation would be as different in mechanics as LA is now?
In other words, would you have stayed with the original template or do you think such drastic evolution is inevitable?
(The wake of 3.5E brings up such meandering queries... )

I intended to revise OAD&D, but not into one that graftet skill-based play onto a class based vehicle. I think that brings the worst of both system types. In the long term I don't think I'd have made many changes in the AD&D game, only those necessary to allow the core rules to apply to more genres.

I am writing some adventure material now for what is essentially AD&D-type adventuring, and I must confess it is a lot more difficult for me to do so creatively than it is when I am using the LA game system--the Orders and Abilities therein make it so much easier to define non-player types that aren't of the adventuring sort. I know that new D&D has added whole rafts of character classes for NPCs to deal with this problem, but that seems hoaky somehow to me. How I would have dealt with the matter were I in control of the D&D game is something I haven't reconsiled in my mind--mainly because it isn't my worry these days;)

I hope your birthday was a hoot and the Armagnac was exquisite!

Take care, Duglas

It was a great weekend indeed! One of my good friends said upon tasting that ancient Armagnac, "If this was mine I'd keep it under lock and key, drink it only when alone so as to not to have to share!"

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
slaughterj said:
Quick question(s) for double G:

What was the origin of the beholder? Any basis in mythology, etc.? Nothing more than a beast made from the saying "in the eye of the beholder..."?

Heh!

I can't take credit for the critter in question, as great a monster as it is. Terry Kuntz came up with the beholder after he had been playing in my campaign for about two months. Where he got the idea I have no ides, but I latched onto it immediately, and with his kind permission made it an integral creature in the D&D roster of ugly customers to encounter :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
boschdevil said:
Gary,

Here's hoping that your family get-together and your birthday were both a blast.

As for my question, in this month's Dungeon magazine, they have an adventure that reminded me of "The Shrine of the Kuo-Toa". Thus, what was the motivation for the development of the Kuo-Toa? And how did you come up with the name Blibdoolpoolp? Thanks.

Howdy Boschdevil,

The whole weekend was great, thanks.

When I got to ruminating on the inhabitants of the Underdark, the Drow were the main human-types I came up with to compliment the Illithids. Not wanting to have a lot of repetition in encounters, it seemed that some picean race would be novel and fit relatively well into the setting. I envisaged large communities of the Kuo-toa wherever there was underground water, expecially in the Sunless Sea environs.

Blibdoolpoolp was an onomatopoeic name I came up with for a lobstress deity of theirs. The sound is to call to mind the sound of large drops of water falling into a pool, and splashing in general;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:

:eek:

here's hoping for a low roll... ;)

But Boz...

Boxcars would mean you have a flock of kinder to help with farm chores :eek:

Heh,
Gary

P.S. Truth to tell, the chap for whom I worked now and then as a farm hand when I was in my early teens had about nine children, and he and his wife adopted several more. They really loved kids, and having extra hands to do work on the place was a plus despite tyhe cost of clothing and feeding them. Breakfast there was a gallon of milk, a couple of loaves of bread toasted and buttered, and as much oatmeal as one could eat. Eggs on Sunday--they didn't have that many laying hens--and at supper lots of pot roast with potatoes and veggies.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Hello Gary. Hope you are having a relaxing Sunday afternoon.

I've wanted to ask you about the 1e combat system. Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't search the threads until I pony up and become a member. Anyway, since you said you didn't like weapon speeds did you reduce battles to

1. Roll d6 for initiative.
2. winning side rolls attacks and spells. Spells, then missles, then melee. Charging against set weapons would give the opponent an attack first.
3. losing side rolls attacks and spells.

Did all spells get announced first at the start of the round?

Do you think being able to increase an ability score every few levels, or going the Hackmaster route and putting a percentile score on every ability and adding each level, is bad in the 1e system? I'd have any racial max in place to cap it of course.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hi Flex' :)

Flexor the Mighty! said:
Hello Gary. Hope you are having a relaxing Sunday afternoon.

I've wanted to ask you about the 1e combat system. Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't search the threads until I pony up and become a member. Anyway, since you said you didn't like weapon speeds did you reduce battles to

1. Roll d6 for initiative.
2. winning side rolls attacks and spells. Spells, then missles, then melee. Charging against set weapons would give the opponent an attack first.
3. losing side rolls attacks and spells.

Did all spells get announced first at the start of the round?

Whoosh! That's a big chunk of stuff to chew on...

We usually managed combat thus:
1. Roll d6 for initiative, low score going first.
2. Weapons attacks and spells with a segment cost of 1
3. Spells with more than 1 segment time involved add 1 pip to the initiative roll per segment, so 2 adds 1, 3 adds 2, and so on. A 6-segment-long spell adding 5 meant that at best it would happen simultaneously with the opponents actions who had rolled a 6 on initiative.
4. Moving into combat range against a longer weapon gave the opponent first attack.
5. Simultaneous attacks occured together where adjusted initiative was the same for both sides.

Do you think being able to increase an ability score every few levels, or going the Hackmaster route and putting a percentile score on every ability and adding each level, is bad in the 1e system? I'd have any racial max in place to cap it of course.

Actually, I haven't given that any thought, tested the idea in play, so I can't comment intelligently. I can state that the LA game system used d% checks for all skill checks based on an Ability, but adding to the base score is up to the individual playing the Avatar, additions purchased with Merits gained by the character in game play. This works very well so far--about seven years of play-testing now :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Col_Pladoh said:
But Boz...

Boxcars would mean you have a flock of kinder to help with farm chores :eek:

Heh,
Gary

hey, there's an idea... free labor! :D actually, my dad came from a town in upstate new york where that was standard practice. the tradition was broken during his father's generation though, as most of the farms got sold off to developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases