Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IV - Page 23

+ Log in or register to post
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Manzanita

Omba and B1

Hi. Gary - it's so nice of you to take your valuable time to answer all these geeky questions. I have to ask a couple too, if only to see the 'Howdy Grant' response from The Man.

I recently reread J.D. Salinger's short story The Laughing Man, which features a dwarf named 'Omba.' I couldn't help noticing the similarity to your dwarf Ombi in G3 and The Gord the Rogue series. Coincidence?

Also, I've enjoyed your numerous modules immensely. There is one, The Keep on the Borderlands, that I've had the urge to DM lately, as it's for 1st level PCs, but I've been struggling with its premise. It just seems a little strange to have all those different monster groups living in such close proximity in those caves. It just doesn't have quite the epic sense of so many of your others. I have such good memories of playing it as a kid, I just wonder if it still makes sense to you as written.

Thanks
    Grant

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Howdy Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Manzanita
    Hi. Gary - it's so nice of you to take your valuable time to answer all these geeky questions. I have to ask a couple too, if only to see the 'Howdy Grant' response from The Man.
    Heh, and the salutation gets that out of the way, eh?

As for answering "geeky questions," I suppose, but my doing that means I am an even bigger geek than those posing them. Fact is that I am a gamer from crown to sole, and I enjoy most things about gaming, so this is fun for me.

I recently reread J.D. Salinger's short story The Laughing Man, which features a dwarf named 'Omba.' I couldn't help noticing the similarity to your dwarf Ombi in G3 and The Gord the Rogue series. Coincidence?
    Sheer coincidence indeed, as I missed the Salinger short story you note. Back when I first introduced the villainous dwarf I had a reason for naming him "Pbmi," but darned if I can recall that now, a quarter-century later. I do recall with considerable enjoyment the players' ire at not being able to do for him with their PCs, though. They disliked him so much that I just had to keep bringing him back.

Also, I've enjoyed your numerous modules immensely. There is one, The Keep on the Borderlands, that I've had the urge to DM lately, as it's for 1st level PCs, but I've been struggling with its premise. It just seems a little strange to have all those different monster groups living in such close proximity in those caves. It just doesn't have quite the epic sense of so many of your others. I have such good memories of playing it as a kid, I just wonder if it still makes sense to you as written.

Thanks
    Grant
    The B2 module was written to introduce newbies to the wonders of D&D adventuring. It is not "ecologically correct," but it is fun and entertaining, packed full of new and different challenges. Just between you and me, it makes as much sense as most things in the D&D game such as massive flying dragons that breathe various deadly things. Those who swallow the camel of the entire concept, then strain at gnats of particular monster or situation seem to be be losing much of the basis for playing. However, that sort of thing happens as one becomes familiar with the fanciful and begin to qualify the experience by comparison to reality. As you note, modules for more experienced players have more rationalization for setting and encounters.

The short answer is, if you enjoy DMing the KEEP ON THE BORDERLANDS, then why not use it? If the players question anything, make up something on the spot to answer the challenge

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Cha
    I would love to play in a Castles & Crusades game next year at the Milwaukee Gamefest if you were running one, Gary.
    I definitely second that! I'm really excited about the upcoming C&C project, and if the Trolls are going to be at next year's Gamefest a C&C demo (or possibly a tournament?) would be a lot of fun, I think!

Speaking of which, if I may ask, what exactly is it about the Castles & Crusades project which convinced you to associate with it? Thanks!

Indigo Rose
    Knight of the Woeful Countenance

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo Rose
    I definitely second that! I'm really excited about the upcoming C&C project, and if the Trolls are going to be at next year's Gamefest a C&C demo (or possibly a tournament?) would be a lot of fun, I think!

Speaking of which, if I may ask, what exactly is it about the Castles & Crusades project which convinced you to associate with it? Thanks!

Indigo Rose
    Knight of the Woeful Countenance
    Hi Indigo Rose

When the Trolls mentioned they were developing a set or rules that would be close to OAD&D, I just had to get involved. As you likely have heard, I've been considering doing a publishable version of my original Greyhawk Castle & Dungeons for some time. The C&S rules should be perfect for that project.

I am so confident of the matter that I have already begun, written most of a campaign-base setting module that's titled ZAGYG'S CASTLE, YGGSBURGH, Part One. It is very large, covers an area the size of a small state, has a walled town, smaller communities, wilderness areas, and a lot if information for the GM in addition to many adventure encounters and springboards for others. I have yet to complete five dungeon-like level areas that are part of the adventures detailed in the base work.

Meantime, Rob Kuntz if writing the second part, the DARK CHATEAU, a sort of introduction as to how Zagyg became as he is now.

After that Rob and I will go to work on the upper levels of the castle, then the dungeons beneath--likely six additional modules, alhtough it might take more to get in all the best of the old levels.

It is going to be a lot of work, but also a good deal of fun

Cheers,
    Gary

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Joseph Elric Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Hi Indigo Rose

When the Trolls mentioned they were developing a set or rules that would be close to OAD&D, I just had to get involved. As you likely have heard, I've been considering doing a publishable version of my original Greyhawk Castle & Dungeons for some time. The C&S rules should be perfect for that project.

I am so confident of the matter that I have already begun, written most of a campaign-base setting module that's titled ZAGYG'S CASTLE, YGGSBURGH, Part One. It is very large, covers an area the size of a small state, has a walled town, smaller communities, wilderness areas, and a lot if information for the GM in addition to many adventure encounters and springboards for others. I have yet to complete five dungeon-like level areas that are part of the adventures detailed in the base work.

Meantime, Rob Kuntz if writing the second part, the DARK CHATEAU, a sort of introduction as to how Zagyg became as he is now.

After that Rob and I will go to work on the upper levels of the castle, then the dungeons beneath--likely six additional modules, alhtough it might take more to get in all the best of the old levels.

It is going to be a lot of work, but also a good deal of fun

Cheers,
    Gary
    Yes and we are all looking forward to it
    ken
    Gygax is to Gaming what Kirby was to comics
    Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you
    http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

LA boxed set?

Gary,

Can you give us more info on the LA boxed set and other things the Troll Lords will be releasing? An approximate release date perhaps? I was very excited to hear about the re-issue of LA on Troll Lords site.

Also, will the Lejendary Earth setting be re-released as well in some form from the Trolls?

I also joined C&C....great to hear about all the things they are planning.

By the way how is the Hermit adventure going? Any fatalities yet?

I read through it and its a nice adventure, one I plan on running some-day.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by cimerians
    Gary,

Can you give us more info on the LA boxed set and other things the Troll Lords will be releasing? An approximate release date perhaps? I was very excited to hear about the re-issue of LA on Troll Lords site.
    Howdy Cimerians,

The Trolls have a lot of my material on their plate

The LA Primer boxed set isn't all turned in yet. Chris Clark just sent me his cut-down version of the creatures and magic items list. I feel we have too many monsters, can't pare more away, but the Trolls will have the final cut ability if that's so. I believe they are shooting for a March premier at the GAMA show, release soon thereafter.

Also, will the Lejendary Earth setting be re-released as well in some form from the Trolls?
    The remaining three books comprising the "Learth" world setting should all be released next year. Thereafter I do believe that Troll Lord Games is planning to put the five parts into hardback form--likely in 2005. I don't know if it will fit in a single volume, but i hope so..

I also joined C&C....great to hear about all the things they are planning.
    The project is exciting to me, for sure! Although I am not eager to spend the next two years doing castle-dungeon modules, at least Rob Kuntz is on board, so the work won't eat up every available creative minute. We should begin the actual castle ruins and subterranean levels early next year. Rob is currently working on a follow-up module to my campaign setting one, his being THE DARK CHATEAU, a sort of introduction to the characyer of Zagyg. Meantime, I am awaiting the moster roster for the C&C rules so I can finish my really big introductory piece.

By the way how is the Hermit adventure going? Any fatalities yet?

I read through it and its a nice adventure, one I plan on running some-day.
    It is a fun adventure that takes a lot of thinking, especially in the beginning, then some tough combat. Our game session slated for yesterday got cancelled because so many of the players were unable to attend. The third session is slated for the Thursday after Thanksgiving, That are about to enter the Gnome Maze.

No fatalities, yet, but this group is all veteran, and a copuple of them have played for many tears, LA for five or so, so if they are as clever as they were in the HALL OF MANY PANES, I don't expect much in the way of Avatar demises.

Cheers,
    Gary

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore V_Shane
    covers an area the size of a small state
    Would love to see the map on that!
    Artifacts of the Arcane...RPGnow.com
    Illustration/Music/Paintings

Dear Esteemed Mr. Gygax, inventor of my hobby, and chief deity of my pantheon,
    How does it feel to be an adjective? see here
    I bet they got what the term means wrong too.
    I apologize, if this has been asked before.

Any advice on how a ferret might level? I gave my brother's PC a ferret as a sort of NPC buddy. This creates some unusual situations. Gold is being split two ways between my brother's PC and his Elf NPC buddy, but monster experience is split three ways. There was enough treasure in the first dungeon to let my brother's Thief go up to level four in one adventure, while the Elf went up a level too. The ferret is lagging by a bit. [this D&D where Elf is a charater class and there are three alignments].

I'm creative enough to come up with a solution myself, but some advice from the master is always apreciated.
    Last edited by khyron1144; Saturday, 22nd November, 2003 at 05:01 AM.
    People think I'm insane because I am
    frowning all the time.
    -Black Sabbath
    I want your skull. I need your skull.
    -Misfits
    Get crazy with the Cheeze Whiz.
    -Beck

I'm not good looking, and I don't know how to dance. But nevertheless and in spite of the evidence I am still widely considered to be a genius in France.
    -Al

Hurry

2004 and 2005 could not arrive quicker for me!

LA, box sets, hardbacks, C&C, Z's Castle............I must say, lots to look forward to!!

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast