Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IV - Page 8

What's on your mind?

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh

Not Been Paying Attention...

Cheers,

This thread has suffered my neglect because of first loafing after my birthday, then getting inspired by the creative muse and working on a new module project. Anyway...

Originally posted by grodog
    Hola Gary---

San Diego Comic Con was a couple of weeks ago. IIRC, you were planning to make some announcements there about some new book deals; did they ever materialize?
    Ah, the blasted Gord the Rogue graphic novel project. It was to have premiered last winter, then this summer at the Chicago Comic Con, but the publisher informs me that continued difficulties with illustratore and inkers have delyed the launch yet again.

The latest word I have is a December announcement for the series. It is to be hoped that the date will not again be changed!

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Originally posted by satori01

Gary, I am floored by the courage inherent in that statement,( I shouldnt be given your integrity on display though out the years,)but I find it a statment alas that is all too rarely made by individuals in creative ventures.
    Hi Satori01

Thanks for your good words. Over the many years if being active in gaming I suppose I have become even more prone to speak my mind. I just hope I can always recognize when I was off base, say so when that's the case and stand corrected.

Even worse, it seems few individuals in today's coporatate creative world are given the chance to mature in their craft to be able to make such a statement, specificaly given what seemed to be WOTC purging of "veteran" designers, and the emphasis on the "NEW" being a paramount virtue in our world.
    Well, what can one say to that, particularly in light of the fact that WotC and other publishers too are going back to remake the "old," and not a single new system has enjoyed the success that OAD&D had. That game was by no means perfect, nor were the modules for it, but they seem to have withstood the test of time much better than the "new school' material for "mature and sophisticated" players.

All that really underscores is that a love of an role-playing game and a desire to make it as much fun, provide great entertainment, are the most important things in design. Those are the factors that impress the gamers. No "art" or desire to make a "cutting edge" game that shows off the author's "creative virtuoisty" (at the expense of play enjoyment) will cut the proverbial mustard.

Learning to recognize errors, admit them, and thus grow creatively is something that has to happen to the competant designer, for Lord knows we all make mistakes!

It is all to easily to fall into the trap of equating expanding rules complexity with game depth, only to realize that more dice roling or rules doesnt lead to more soul in the game. I certainly went through a period in my halcyon youth of gaming where I created an ever expanding number of house rules to put my own imprint onto my game.
    I do believe that every gamer with an iota of creativity does that very thing. I had four pages of rules additions to the original Avalon Hill GETTYSBURG boardgame after playing it for just a few months time. After a while we just tossed them aside, for they added nothingbut complications, didn't change the play, and brought no more enjoyment to the game. However, the exercise did teach me a number of the basics of game design. so the effort wasn't wasted.

I think you perfectly described a role playing truism learned though the harsh coin of aging, that rules dont make a game better, thoughtful and intelligent participation does. If you dont like your game, dont change the rules enmase, redifine and re examine the aspects of playing the rules should describe.
    Thanks, and I agree. If that approach doesn't do the trick, find a new game where your thinking meshes better with the systems presented therein. When all is said and done, playing a game is about fun, enjoying the experience with a group of fellows. Whatever provides the vehicle for such entertainment is right for those concerned. That applies even if the game is packed with rules, more of them created as in-house material. the only problem with that sort of game is the audience for it will be small, and if the core group disintegrates the campaign is likely to end, and never be revived...

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Originally posted by MerricB
    G'day Gary!

Did you have a nice birthday?

The ENworld "Happy Birthday Gary!" thread can be found here.

Cheers!
    Hoi Merric!

Thanks for the special thread. I've been there and posted a brief response. That was a most touching series of good wishes, and it made me want to have a great big party for all that sent along their kind thoughts and congratulations

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Originally posted by Hadit
    Hello Gary!
    I hope all is well!

I've just come from Dragonfoot where the torch burns as strong as ever for good ole' 1E D&D! (Huzzah!)
    A question though... and a hypothetical one at that (which I know you have distaste for... sorry).
    That's it! I've HADIT!!!

If original D&D had remained within your control over these long years, do you imagine that it's future incarnation would be as different in mechanics as LA is now?
    In other words, would you have stayed with the original template or do you think such drastic evolution is inevitable?
    (The wake of 3.5E brings up such meandering queries... )
    I intended to revise OAD&D, but not into one that graftet skill-based play onto a class based vehicle. I think that brings the worst of both system types. In the long term I don't think I'd have made many changes in the AD&D game, only those necessary to allow the core rules to apply to more genres.

I am writing some adventure material now for what is essentially AD&D-type adventuring, and I must confess it is a lot more difficult for me to do so creatively than it is when I am using the LA game system--the Orders and Abilities therein make it so much easier to define non-player types that aren't of the adventuring sort. I know that new D&D has added whole rafts of character classes for NPCs to deal with this problem, but that seems hoaky somehow to me. How I would have dealt with the matter were I in control of the D&D game is something I haven't reconsiled in my mind--mainly because it isn't my worry these days

I hope your birthday was a hoot and the Armagnac was exquisite!

Take care, Duglas
    It was a great weekend indeed! One of my good friends said upon tasting that ancient Armagnac, "If this was mine I'd keep it under lock and key, drink it only when alone so as to not to have to share!"

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Originally posted by slaughterj
    Quick question(s) for double G:

What was the origin of the beholder? Any basis in mythology, etc.? Nothing more than a beast made from the saying "in the eye of the beholder..."?
    Heh!

I can't take credit for the critter in question, as great a monster as it is. Terry Kuntz came up with the beholder after he had been playing in my campaign for about two months. Where he got the idea I have no ides, but I latched onto it immediately, and with his kind permission made it an integral creature in the D&D roster of ugly customers to encounter :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Originally posted by BOZ
    hey gary, wish me well! i'm finally taking the plunge!
    Heh, Boz...

Check the thread for my comment. Oh, wait! I forgot to wish you two the blessing of a passle of young'uns. So maybe 2d6 worth is in order?

Ciao,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Originally posted by boschdevil
    Gary,

Here's hoping that your family get-together and your birthday were both a blast.

As for my question, in this month's Dungeon magazine, they have an adventure that reminded me of "The Shrine of the Kuo-Toa". Thus, what was the motivation for the development of the Kuo-Toa? And how did you come up with the name Blibdoolpoolp? Thanks.
    Howdy Boschdevil,

The whole weekend was great, thanks.

When I got to ruminating on the inhabitants of the Underdark, the Drow were the main human-types I came up with to compliment the Illithids. Not wanting to have a lot of repetition in encounters, it seemed that some picean race would be novel and fit relatively well into the setting. I envisaged large communities of the Kuo-toa wherever there was underground water, expecially in the Sunless Sea environs.

Blibdoolpoolp was an onomatopoeic name I came up with for a lobstress deity of theirs. The sound is to call to mind the sound of large drops of water falling into a pool, and splashing in general

Cheers,
    Gary

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    My communities:

Originally posted by Col_Pladoh
    Oh, wait! I forgot to wish you two the blessing of a passle of young'uns. So maybe 2d6 worth is in order?

here's hoping for a low roll...
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Originally posted by BOZ

here's hoping for a low roll...
    But Boz...

Boxcars would mean you have a flock of kinder to help with farm chores

Heh,
    Gary

P.S. Truth to tell, the chap for whom I worked now and then as a farm hand when I was in my early teens had about nine children, and he and his wife adopted several more. They really loved kids, and having extra hands to do work on the place was a plus despite tyhe cost of clothing and feeding them. Breakfast there was a gallon of milk, a couple of loaves of bread toasted and buttered, and as much oatmeal as one could eat. Eggs on Sunday--they didn't have that many laying hens--and at supper lots of pot roast with potatoes and veggies.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore Flexor the Mighty!
    My communities:

Hello Gary. Hope you are having a relaxing Sunday afternoon.

I've wanted to ask you about the 1e combat system. Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't search the threads until I pony up and become a member. Anyway, since you said you didn't like weapon speeds did you reduce battles to

1. Roll d6 for initiative.
    2. winning side rolls attacks and spells. Spells, then missles, then melee. Charging against set weapons would give the opponent an attack first.
    3. losing side rolls attacks and spells.

Did all spells get announced first at the start of the round?

Do you think being able to increase an ability score every few levels, or going the Hackmaster route and putting a percentile score on every ability and adding each level, is bad in the 1e system? I'd have any racial max in place to cap it of course.
    18/100 STR

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast