Fai Chen Season 7 - what did you get?

Zene

First Post
Fai chen showed up at my con today with a new season's worth of wares. Unfortunately he was closing for the day by the time I got to him, so I didn't see most of what was new. I did manage to snag a sloth mount. I heard from others that he had flying carpets, goggles of night, bracers of defense, a small number of +2 shields, land deeds in several areas, different kinds of goats purchaseable as pets, and some strange contracts that might involve someone attempting to kill you.

Anyone willing to share what they saw/ got?

devlin1

Explorer
I didn't pay much attention to the goats, and my interest in dinosaur mounts is largely contingent on being able to play a Batiri goblin in season 7, but I did make two good purchases at Fai Chen's last weekend.

One was Price On My Head, for 50 gp. This cert says that someone's out to kill my PC, and sometimes sends agents to get the job done. At the start of every adventure with that PC, the DM rolls a d20. If the roll is a 1-5, a tier-appropriate enemy shows up (for Tier 2, it's an ettin), and I have to deal with it. I get no XP for defeating this assassin, but it does carry a potion of healing. After I defeat four such enemies, I can turn the cert in to Fai Chen's for a 300 gp credit toward any consumables he sells.

I think it's pretty much the best thing to be had at Fai Chen's for love or money. It's also very funny to me to imagine my nemesis sending a series of ettins after me. It's all ettins. Every time. Whoever wants me dead has access to at least four willing ettins.

The other, for a different PC, is a Faction Estate. I'd wanted a place in Phlan, but apparently it's faction-dependent, and if you're a Harper, you live in Hulburg now. So I'm a little bummed I spent 5000 gp for a home in a city I've never even been, but on the plus side it comes with three halfling spies. It basically does nothing else for me other than to provide narrative permission for me to say "I have a place in Hulburg" and make use of that however I can. Oh, it also increases my lifestyle expenses by 5 gp, IIRC, and for every 30 downtime says I spend on whatever, I have to spend two more downtime days seeing to my estate. But whatever, I'm glad to have it. I mean, it's no Price On My Head, but it's right for the character.

Zene

First Post
Before the con was over, I ended up getting a Moonsea faction estate. Since the char is Order of the Gauntlet, it was outside of Melvaunt. A small 4 room keep with a low wall, guarded by two knights. They also had Sword Coast and Chult estates, but Moonsea is the area I think I'll be spending most time in over the course of the seasons.

I also picked up a mount. Thierria, the Giant Three-Toed Sloth.

I never did see the flying carpet, or the fast dinosaur mount (60-ft movement speed!). Even though one day of the con I was within the first 10 people in line. I'm guessing they only had 1 of each each day.

Overall, not as impressed with Fai's wares this season compared to last. The best items are slightly better, but the stock (at least here) was so low it didn't matter. And as certs continue to dwindle out of use, the gently-used section seems to get worse every time I see it. Still fun, and I'm glad the Faire exists, but just not quite as fun.

lonelynoose

First Post
They had 4 goats, 3 of which could become familiars. Goat of Fainting, Screaming, and Jumping. Their names tell you what they do when they sense a dinosaur nearby. My Druid (ritual caster) picked up the jumping goat for a familiar.

The last goat was a companion goat with higher stats.

Pet/Familiar goats were 15gp and the companion was 50gp.

They also had as familiar options a sea otter for 500gp and a mini veghomy (sp?) for way more, I forgot the price.

Zene

First Post
They had 4 goats, 3 of which could become familiars. Goat of Fainting, Screaming, and Jumping. Their names tell you what they do when they sense a dinosaur nearby. My Druid (ritual caster) picked up the jumping goat for a familiar.

The last goat was a companion goat with higher stats.

Pet/Familiar goats were 15gp and the companion was 50gp.

They also had as familiar options a sea otter for 500gp and a mini veghomy (sp?) for way more, I forgot the price.

Oh nice! I did not see the otter familiar, nor the mini veghomy (not sure what that is). Might have been location-specific items.

Lenaen

First Post
mini veghomy

I think you're referring to the mini-froghemoth? That's what our Fai Chen's had in addition to the sea otter.

In addition to the Price on Your Head and Estates mentioned above there was also a Gambling Addiction, but I don't recall the exact effects, it was along the lines of roll at the start of each session with a good/bad effect depending on the number rolled (I remember the highest option was the person you're gambling with accusing you of cheating).

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I went to Fai Chen's at GenCon, and since I'd recently come into a magical lance, was specifically looking for special mounts. I didn't see any, but I'm not sure if there just weren't any available that day, or if I just missed them.

--
Pauper

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases