SRD 3.5 Competition

gordonknox

First Post
Errata

Dimwhit said:

You bring up a good point about errata. For the purpose of the competition, it's not require. If you put it in, it won't give "extra points." Those who do include it should probably let us know, but don't worry about it.

Drawmack, you've really got me curious what you're doing with yours! Of course, I can't wait to see what everyone has done. Only 1 month left! (Man, this is going to be a long thread by the time it's over.)

When I am reading the SRD, I keep thinking "Is this correct or a mistake that has already been spotted and catalogued?"

gk

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
doktorstick said:
Please do not stray from the SRD (except for errata). Keep house rules and/or opinions out of the document.
So here's a suggestion for possible "added value" that isn't *directly* in the SRD... There's a bunch of tables that have not made it into the SRD, but for which the actual *content* is in the SRD. For example, that horrendous table of class and cross-class skills. Or the skill synergy table. Or the overview of feats, and what "tree" they're in. Tables of monsters by environment, CR, LA and ECL, you name it.

I would guess that the contents of *most* of the missing tables in the SRD is actually OGC. You probably can't copy those exactly from the books for copyright reasons. But there shouldn't be any problem with making your own version based solely on SRD information. Plus there's probably a few more useful tables you could think of. Perhaps a short list of spells without a Verbal component? Or without Somatic and Material components (for use, say, in a prison situation).

Drawmack

First Post
Dimwhit said:
Drawmack, you've really got me curious what you're doing with yours! Of course, I can't wait to see what everyone has done. Only 1 month left! (Man, this is going to be a long thread by the time it's over.)

Since you volunteered to be my mac tester you will see it as soon as I get the info from the PHB entered. Shouldn't be too long yet.

Drawmack

First Post
Re: Errata

gordonknox said:
When I am reading the SRD, I keep thinking "Is this correct or a mistake that has already been spotted and catalogued?"

gk

I understand your feelings and your point. On the other hand I am making an SRD release. My point of view is that the only entity who can make a call about something being correct or incorrect is WotC. Therefor if I include errata cataloged by any entity other then WotC I am no longer making a release of the official SRD. Does that make sense?

Drawmack

First Post
Conaill said:
So here's a suggestion for possible "added value" that isn't *directly* in the SRD... There's a bunch of tables that have not made it into the SRD, but for which the actual *content* is in the SRD. For example, that horrendous table of class and cross-class skills. Or the skill synergy table. Or the overview of feats, and what "tree" they're in. Tables of monsters by environment, CR, LA and ECL, you name it.

I can say that adding things like that will depend on time. Converting the entire SRD to HTML is a huge project, I'm guessing bigger then converting it to PDF because of a lack of programatic help.

When I first started I grabbed the SRD files and ran them all through a converter to handle the initial conversion. This process took the program 5 hours. Now I have to go into all those files and put them into my template. On top of that I am splitting many of the files into smaller files to make them more web friendly. If I have time left when I'm done I'll spend that time adding more and more stuff. I will not be submitting mine until the last day so that I can utilize all the available time to add features to my SRD.

Drawmack

First Post
A question to all the other converters, has anyone else noticed that they seemed to use headers wherever and whenever they felt like it and that their tables are put together horribly?

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Drawmack said:
A question to all the other converters, has anyone else noticed that they seemed to use headers wherever and whenever they felt like it and that their tables are put together horribly?

What do you mean? I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but it might be that their paragraph styles are messed up pretty badly. I'm not using their paragraph styles as a reference (didn't seem to work very well, had to assign a new styl to every paragraph.

As for the table, i expect no tables at all, just text. So this is a boon, saves me a lot of copy/pasting.

Btw, i'm using indesign for the document, i've yet to have a real problem with the wotc rtf files. It's just a :):):):)e load of manual labor ;-)

i experimented with the indesin output to html, and the results where pretty interesting. It will need a lot of work, but it somehow kept the formatting i'm also using for the pdfs.

What browser are we going to use as a reference point?

Drawmack

First Post
It could, quite possibly, be that I am looking at the documents at a lower level. I ran them through a program that generates pretty bare bones HTML and I'm hand editing that, so it would be kind of equivolent to making a post script file in a text editor and then running that to pdf with distiller.

Remove ads