SRD 3.5 Competition

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Lazybones said:
Curious how one can charge for a document owned by WotC, when all you're doing is formatting changes.

WotC liscenced me (and the rest of the world) to reproduce it in any form, whatever we want to charge for it, read the legal info that is supplied with the WotC downloads.

The reason i'm charging for it is simple, i'm spending 40+ hours on formating the sucker and have spent around $425 on three fonts for it (if you want good fonts you have to pay for them, extra if you want to embed them in a file. If you want to do that for free, be my guest ;-)

@seasong:
I'm not trying to successfully sell it, i'm trying to at least earn back the expeses i made buying the fonts, anything beyond that will go into new projects. The idea is to start with $500 and a year and see where that brings me. The worst that could happen is that i 'wasted' a week and a weeks salary...

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
I see no problem charging for it. I hope you get your money out of it, at least.

I'm interested in taking a look at it, for sure. I'm personally looking for more of an html version. I don't know if a pdf format will fit my needs. But we'll see...:)

Lazybones

Adventurer
I wasn't attacking you, and if it's sanctioned by OGL, and people are willing to pay for it, more power to you.

Personally I don't find the "ease of use" thing convincing. As for paying extra for "good fonts," well, maybe I'm just not discerning enough to see the difference. Maybe when you release your demo/sample I'll feel differently.

seasong

First Post
Lazybones said:
Personally I don't find the "ease of use" thing convincing.
See my point (2) ;). I'm not convinced, either - I was just pointing out that the content wasn't the selling point.

As for paying extra for "good fonts," well, maybe I'm just not discerning enough to see the difference. Maybe when you release your demo/sample I'll feel differently.
Computer fonts range in usability from bad to worse. For printing, however, some fonts can be surprisingly readable and yummy. If you've ever seen high-resolution output from the TeX program, you know what it is of which I speak :).

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Not to be a wet blanket, but a .pdf format is my least favorite option when folks talk about doing a revision; I'd much rather see something in HTML or a Word document. Word documents are the easiest for me to work with (allowing me to cut and paste, modify for my own uses, etc.), but I know they're not useable by everyone; HTML is almost as useful, and it's pretty much universal. I lack the capabilities to do much of anything (including the all-important cut-and-paste) with PDFs, and so all I can do with them is read them on a screen or print them out -- not much more useful than the hardcopy books.

Daniel

kreynolds

First Post
I think I might have to toss my hat into this competetion too, if I have time. I'll be moving soon, so time is rather short right now.

Pielorinho, I get ya'. If I do this right, I'll be able to make three version (word, pdf, html).

Cergorach

The Laughing One
First off, demo:
http://www.thehelix.nl/download/demo.pdf

@Pielorinho:
I don't really see what's wrong then with the rtfs then? you can edit all you want in those with a simple test editor. As for html, i'm experimenting with exporting to html and although it looks decent enough, but to work well without the special fonts installed i'd have to do some major work, i'll see what i'llbe able to do...

@seasong:
Just open the rtfs in openoffice and save to the openoffice format ;-)

Dimwhit

Explorer
OK, I have to admit Cergorach, that looks very, very nice. For someone wanting to print out the SRD for a corebook feel, yours should be the one to beat! (Of course, let's see if someone does... :) )

Nice work.

Remove ads