SRD 3.5 Competition

seasong

First Post
Cergorach said:
@seasong:
Just open the rtfs in openoffice and save to the openoffice format ;-)
Well, yes. But that doesn't exactly save me the work of doing it myself, now does it? ;)

So, looks good overall, but for a few comments:

1. That's not a good font for screen reading. For printing, it is pretty good (for look, not readability), but for most monitors it will cause eye strain. Sorry.

Doesn't Acrobat let you specify a different font for screen and printing?

2. The bullets don't look so good. Not sure how to fix that, but... ick.

3. There's a few minor nitpicks, but nothing major. The one that caught my eye was 1st page, 3rd paragraph, antimagic field should be antimagic field. That, and the vertical alignment of your table fields needs a slight tweaking.

4. Where is the border art from?

6. I was hoping to see a Table of Contents example on at least one of the pages :(.

-seasong

kreynolds

First Post
After about an hour or so of just pokin' around, I whipped this up. Personally, I like _really_ small text (I'm talking 6pt to 8pt on average), but I made it a little bigger for others. Anyhow...check it out. I haven't put in any tables yet.

Hopefully it doesn't suck as bad as I think it does (there's a few things buggin' me, but I'm too sleepy to bother right now). :)

EDIT: Ah crap. I forgot to adjust the rules. Oh well. I'll get it tomorrow or something.

Last edited:

Rev_Spider

First Post
Has anyone thought of doing a helpfile version of the SRD? I started on one, but freeware help editors are the sucks, heh. Still, I think that would be the most useful format for the all-important document.

Lazybones said:
I'd love to have a Pocket PC-friendly version. Thanks in advance to those working on HTML/DOC versions.

Also downloaded reveal's single PDF... that is a most excellent resource for my desktop (though too big/slow for the Axim).

Go Axims!!!! :D

I echo this statement heartily! I want some PPC goodness! :) (Please? :))

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Thanks guys ;-)

@seasong:
I am not finished yet, still have to define the styles of the index and the tabl of contents. Also have to redefine the bullet sections and still have to proofread the entire thing. It ain't the best font for onscreen viewing, i'll look into it for the pda pdf (and possibly redo the entire pda for online viewing).

Border art is a compilation of some images from Vshane's publisher portfolio, don't tell me it's that bad.

@kreynolds:
Nice font ;-)

Drawmack

First Post
I'm still working on my entry.

I can say a couple of things about the requests made.

1) A search engine in javascript? I thought this was a free product. In order to do that you would have to create an array of every word used in the documents, every document it's used in and how many times it's used. I highly doubt you'll be seeing that. Remember we are tied to html and javascript. Otherwise I'd just throw the thing into a database write a little php and be done with it. However my version will be able to be downloaded as a zip and run locally.

2) Cross linking is not a matter of simply doing a global search and replace with the word for the hyperlink. That will get you started, but you still have to verify that every one needs to be hyper linked. This I will do if the dead line does not bite me in the arse.

BTW: I am trying to make mine so that it fits on a single floppy. With some of the bells and whistles I'm adding this may not be possible. However it is not then there will be a freeware program provided in the zip file so that people can put it on disks.

Also I need someone running a MAC to volunteer to test my stuff out without revealing my stuff to the world at large, wouldn't want to give any competitors ideas. So if you're on a MAC, you're not competing and you would be willing to invest some time trying out my html srd then drop me a line at tomender@ptd.net.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Cergorach said:
@kreynolds:
Nice font ;-)

Hey, a GD knows a good font when he sees one...Just ask Sean Glenn and Sherry Floyd. :D

Actually, I really dig Celeste Antiqua. I've been using it for all of my material that I write up ever since 3.0 came out. Damn nice font. Personally, I even like it for on-screen viewing.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Hopefully it doesn't suck as bad as I think it does (there's a few things buggin' me, but I'm too sleepy to bother right now).

kreynolds, it doesn't suck at all. Looks pretty good, in fact. This little competition is going to produce some great results!

Drawmack, I sent you an email about testing the Mac version. I'm on a Mac, so I can make sure it works properly. And I won't let it cloud my judgement one way or the other. :)

By the way, several people have dropped by this thread who are interested, but not entering. Who wants to help me judge the entries?

Cergorach

The Laughing One
kreynolds said:

Hey, a GD knows a good font when he sees one...Just ask Sean Glenn and Sherry Floyd. :D

Actually, I really dig Celeste Antiqua. I've been using it for all of my material that I write up ever since 3.0 came out. Damn nice font. Personally, I even like it for on-screen viewing.

*grins*

I like it to, but it only works for online viewing when you run at higher resolutions. My laptop runs at 1050*1400 and then it looks good, especially if you set acrobat to fit width. On my main computer it runs at 1200*1600, then it's even good when you set it to full screen. The computers at work on the other hand only run at 768*1024 and then you have to really zoom in on the columns to comfortly view the text.

Celestia Antiqia is certainly one of my favorites for body text. Headers look good in Pterra, Abbando, and Morpheus.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases