SRD 3.5 Competition

seasong

First Post
Purely as a side note, if anyone is interested in mimicking a more 1st ed, 2nd ed or 3rd ed feel for the fonts, this page outlines most of the major fonts TSR has used historically.

kreynolds

First Post
Cergorach said:
Celestia Antiqia is certainly one of my favorites for body text. Headers look good in Pterra, Abbando, and Morpheus.

Abbando is a nice one, but Morpheus just drives me nuts. It's got some of the funkiest kerning I've seen in a font, and some of the letters are a little clunky, but hey, it's free, right? :)

Kerrwyn

First Post
I'm in.
I'll give HTML a shot. As for what people want:
1. Links to major sections?
2. A searchable form? Erg...
3. Any other suggestions?

Cybern

First Post
I won't have the time myself to participate in this contest, but I could help judge these documents. I do electronic forms as a living, and I have some formatting / layout / readability experience.

I am somewhat biased to PDF documents (instead of DOCs, RTFs and others) since the javascript engine is soooo usefull, compared to Word VBA Macros. (I can still vote without being biased... :) ). HTML is good, though, better than MS Word.

If the winner's is in PDF, I could work on his copy to insert nifty code or options (search buttons, etc.), as I program PDF Javascript all the time (to get the money to get the books!).

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
For my milage, kreynold's looks better than Cergorach's for now.

And, yeah, there's a possibility that I'd shell out for a pdf with bells and whistles, but I believe my demands would be too high to really be met....like, searchable, fully hyperlinked (so, say, the description of Dexterity 0, which references being disabled, would link to both the Dexterity portion of the Basics, and the Disabled section of the conditions. Every reference of a spell would link to the spell, every skill check would refernce the skill, every mention of shadowy light could link to concealment and low-light vision.

A help file would be a real powerhouse in that.

In addition, I probably wouldn't shell out more than 3-5 bucks for it.

So perhaps not entirely feasable, but this is a pipe dream. :)

Dimwhit

Explorer
I'm in.
I'll give HTML a shot. As for what people want:
1. Links to major sections?
2. A searchable form? Erg...
3. Any other suggestions?

Kerrwyn, I don't have a specific suggestion you. But imagine that when you play, all you have to use is a computer--no books. What kind of functionality would you need to do that? (Bookmarks on the side for quick navigation of all the books, internal hyperlinks, etc.) Just use you imagination, I guess! :)

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
kreynolds said:
After about an hour or so of just pokin' around, I whipped this up. Personally, I like _really_ small text (I'm talking 6pt to 8pt on average), but I made it a little bigger for others. Anyhow...check it out. I haven't put in any tables yet.

Hopefully it doesn't suck as bad as I think it does (there's a few things buggin' me, but I'm too sleepy to bother right now). :)

EDIT: Ah crap. I forgot to adjust the rules. Oh well. I'll get it tomorrow or something.

Sweet! I really like it.

One small suggestion: How about a more D&D themed color scheme? That blue would look killer for Modern, but a more traditional red/rust color would fit the D&D theme a bit better.

Just my thoughts. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases