SRD 3.5 Competition

Dimwhit

Explorer
I won't have the time myself to participate in this contest, but I could help judge these documents. I do electronic forms as a living, and I have some formatting / layout / readability experience.

Cybern, if you want to judge, email me at srd@dimwhit.com and let me know if you want to judge just the print category, or the others as well.

Estlor

Explorer
Count me in.

I aim to do something similar to what Cergorach is promising but to give it away for free because... I was going to do it anyway :D
Of course, my SRD will be tweaked slightly. It'll all still be the same old OGL crunch-fest goodness... just, well, you'll see.

doktorstick

First Post
Please do not stray from the SRD (except for errata). Keep house rules and/or opinions out of the document. Otherwise, it is less useful for us less "document" talented. :)

Thanks for having the competition! I look forward to seeing ya'lls work.

Cheers,
/ds

Conaill

First Post
kreynolds said:
After about an hour or so of just pokin' around, I whipped this up. Personally, I like _really_ small text (I'm talking 6pt to 8pt on average), but I made it a little bigger for others. Anyhow...check it out. I haven't put in any tables yet.
Great start, for just an hour of "pokin' around". :) Couple suggestions though:

- You're losing an awful lot of space with your border art there, especially on the outside border. I really like how densely packed the content is in Cergorach's version.

- The patterned background is problematic for online viewing. How well it looks will depend heavily on the resolution and monitor settings. On mine, it noticeably interferes with readability. And of course for printing it's not exactly ideal either. Overall, I'd prefer a plain white background.
-

kreynolds

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
Sweet! I really like it.

Thanks! :)

Ashrem Bayle said:
One small suggestion: How about a more D&D themed color scheme? That blue would look killer for Modern, but a more traditional red/rust color would fit the D&D theme a bit better.

Personally, I don't think the blue detracts from the D&D theme, but then again, I've seen the cover. ;) Actually, it's fairly easy for me to change the colors out, though I'm absolutely sold on the gray metal. I might play around with it though...see what I can come up with.

Ashrem Bayle said:
Just my thoughts. ;)

Appreciated. :cool:

Estlor

Explorer
doktorstick said:
Please do not stray from the SRD (except for errata). Keep house rules and/or opinions out of the document.

No house rules. No damage. No decay of usefulness.

Cryptic enough for you yet?

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
For my money, I'd have to say that anything, no matter how beatiful and well put together, should automatically lose if it is not in some way searchable. Even if that searchability is limited to (extremely complete) bookmarks in pdfs and a table of contents or navigation frame in html.

I would also much rather have a visually dull (plain text on white background) version with interlinking and a search engine than I would a visually stunning version with just a ToC.

Shadow64

Before i throw my hat in the ring, one question: As far as web-based entries go are you looking for stock HTML that can be thrown on a disk and run anywhere, or are server-side options (such as maybe ASP/MySQL) viable?

Dimwhit

Explorer
Server-side is certainly a possibility. Especially if you can include instructions for people to install it on their own servers. :)

They will probably be judged on appearance/style, usability, layout, etc. If you can pull it off with a server-side database or the likes, go for it!

paqman

First Post
Trevalon Moonleirion said:

Go Axims!!!! :D

I echo this statement heartily! I want some PPC goodness! :) (Please? :))

I Second that statement. I would really like (willing to pay) to have a PPC friendly version.

Remove ads