Lizardfolk Rogue 1/Paladin 4 - not sure what to do next

Argyle King

Legend
I'm not typically what I would consider to be an optimizer, but I feel as though I could benefit from some advice for my character.

First, a few notes: the DM had the players roll for stats; the DM is allowing my character to smite with bites; the current campaign world involves a lot of sailing and water

I am currently playing a Lizardfolk character. The campaign started at level 5, and I started with 1 level of Rogue and the MCed into 4 levels of Paladin. The reasoning behind doing that was primarily to fit the background story I had for my character.

The short version: prior to the campaign starting, my character was granted divine power after saving the party's tabaxi druid from someone who wanted to eat him. During an argument between my lizardfolk character and an NPC over the best way to skin the tabaxi for eating, my character decided that eating the NPC was less trouble for more meat and decided to eat him instead. A god/entity of some sort/fey/whatever (my character isn't entirely sure who or what) decided to grant powers to my character because I had saved a servant of nature from being killed before their time.

So, that story lead to my character being a Rogue 1/Paladin (Oath of Ancients) 4.

I do not have my character sheet in front of me right now (the DM keeps them after each session), so I am working from memory, but I believe my stats are something like STR 14, DEX 16, CON 17, INT 12, WIS 14, CHA 14. (I rolled relatively well for my stats, but none of my rolls were particularly high.) I decided to go with a DEX-based paladin and rely on the lizardfolk natural armor and a shield rather than heavy armor. I am also using a whip as my weapon and chose the dueling fighting style.

Due to some lucky treasure rolls, I currently have a +1 Cloak of Protection and a +1 Shield. My AC is 20 (Natural 13 + Dex 3 + Magic Shield 3 + Magic Cloak 1)

My charisma isn't particularly high (for a paladin), so I have been primarily using divine smite and spells which trigger from me hitting an enemy. Currently, my typical damage is something like Whip 1d4 + Dueling 2 + Dex 3; occasionally I can tack on sneak attack and smite. I'm not a heavy hitter, but my AC is pretty good (especially considering I'm naked).

I started as a Rogue, so I have the rogue skill set (augmented by some Rangery skills from being a lizardfolk). I chose perception and thieves' tools for my expertise feature. I'm pretty sneaky for a paladin and often end up being the scout for the party. While starting as a rogue meant I did not get heavy armor proficiency, I didn't really care about that since I was planning to use DEX and my own natural armor anyway. I chose the Folk Hero background, but I do not remember which skills I gained from that.

At this point, I'm not quite sure what to do with the character. I'm aware that I'm playing a pretty unconventional paladin. The next step appears to obviously be taking level 5 of paladin so that I have more attacks. After that, I'm not sure what I want to do (or what I should do). I had considered picking up a few more levels of rogue, but I don't want to fall too far behind on my spell slots since I often rely on them to make up for the low damage of a whip. So, I then considered maybe branching into a third class just to pick up a few spell slots, but I am unsure if doing so really works out in the long run.

In general, I'm just not quite sure where I should go with the character.

So he didnt study or actually devote himself to gain the paladin class? He just gained it because he ate someone? Umm, he should stick with pally after 5. He is obviously held in high regard by someone with connections, Id say perhaps a god of mishief or maybe of Hunters like Malar. Certainly not Torm,hehe

Argyle King

Legend
I suppose I should have mentioned that the campaign world is using a slightly modified Norse pantheon. "Slightly modified" because it is mixed into a world where D&D tropes and cosmology exist.

But yeah... he gained power by eating someone and thus protecting/saving the druid. As such, whatever creature felt that was a good thing granted him the blessing of power. My character started having visions of a "sky lizard"* which he serves.

*His mind's comprehension of what and who the being is.

It's been a tough (but fun) character to role play. I'm walking a fine line between a carnivorous predator and a paladin. Thus far, I've been playing him as someone who holds the following tenets: protect the tabaxi druid because this pleases sky lizard; if you kill something you should eat and use as much of it as possible; killing helpless prey (when you're not hungry) is typically undesirable because it is wasteful and unsporting.

The last one came up after a party member killed a bound prisoner.

I've also been trying to live up to the things listed in Oath of The Ancients, but doing so in a way that takes more of a predatory animal and/or tribal leader bend. He delights in things to keep his inner light alive. He is generous by hunting for those who cannot and making sure they are fed. Offhand, I forget the other two.

mellored

Legend
Paladin 5 is the obvious next level.

The I would go arcane trickster rogue 6 for extra mobility, extra sneak attack, extra spell slots, extra defense, and extra feats (+4 dex for offensive and defense).

Then paladin 12, for more defense, spells, auras, and extra damage. Grab resilient con, and +2cha.

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
Paladin 5 is the obvious next level.

Then I would go arcane trickster rogue 6 for extra mobility, extra sneak attack, extra spell slots, extra defense, and extra feats (+4 dex for offensive and defense).

Then paladin 12, for more defense, spells, auras, and extra damage. Grab resilient con, and +2cha.

Paladin 5 is what I felt was the obvious next step too. I was unsure if I should hit Paladin 6 for the Cha bonus to saves prior to taking more Rogue Levels.

The high level Paladin abilities sound cool, but they don't seem so good that I would miss having them.

Did you mean to take 8 levels in Rogue?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases