DMs - do you enforce spellbook rules?

der_kluge

Adventurer
I was reading through the spellbook rules on PHB page 155.

I was curious how many DMs out there (or players who can speak to the game that they're in) enforce these rules:

100 gold pieces PER PAGE to put a spell into a spellbook? Spells take 2 pages per spell level, so a first level spell costs 200 gold pieces.

How strict do you enforce all the spellbook rules in your game?

Petrosian

First Post
I use the rules for cost. The escalating cost works fine. A percentage of the mage's moneies go into buying additional spells.

I modified the time to be just two days per spell period. In my game the mage should not expect more time free at higher levels than at lower levels so the escalating time scale would become more onerous.

android

First Post
here's the way it works in my current campaign

Our current DM has adopted a different method for this stuff. Maybe his ideas will strike a chord with you. Below is the full text of his house rule, copied and pasted from our campaign message board:

Scribing Spells:
Since scribing spells sucks in official DnD forms and makes it hard for a Wizard to be part of an adventuring group without excessive downtime, I will be adopting a variable time method.

Scribing Scrolls:
The cost to scribe a scroll is as follows:

1. 12.5 X Spell Level X Caster Level in GP

2. plus XP= [(Spell Level)squared]x2

3. plus time= 1 hour per 41 2/3rds gp in the value of the completed scroll.

These three items balanced allow Wizards to scribe magical writings. However, sometimes circumstances mean that one of these three items are lacking. For instance a wizard levels up and now has exactly the XP needed for the new level. According to standard rules this wizard would no longer be able to scribe scrolls because you may not drop levels due to XP costs.

Instead I am introducing a variable method to this.

1. Any of the 3 items may be halved or doubled by respectively doubling or halving another item. example: double the time and halve the XP cost. You may do this multiple times. example: quadruple the gp cost and quarter the XP cost.

2. Once you have determined #1 you may buy off any remaining Experience Points in the XP cost at a rate of 5 gp for each XP.

These two variation methods allow the wizard to choose a method of scribing to suit available resources.

Adding Spells to a Spell book.

The standard method still applies as it allows wizards to learn new spells without XP costs, albeit at a prohibitively slow rate.

Additionally, if a wizard wishes they may instead substitute the method outlined above to add spells to their spellbook, as if a scroll were being written into the spellbook.

Ace

Adventurer
I don't use the standard spell book costs at all. Instead a wizards cost of living is one step higher to account for books and material components.

I use the listed costs, 100 perlevl if they wish to buy spells. Uncommon spells are 3x as much rare are 10x as much.

Arkham

First Post
By the Book, but with an 'out'

I do it by the book, but anyone with Alchemy
can create the 'special inks' for 1/3 the cost.
Anyone with alchemy _and_ knowledge nature can
identify the plants and materials required to
make the ink. And with some Wilderness Lore
checks, they can gather the materials for free
in the wild.

Remove ads