Wayfarer's Lantern

ediz

Explorer
Hi,

I may have an older copy of Always on Time and the copy I have has a mistake for this item because it has the same stuff as the loaded dice before it.

Does anyone have the real stuff for it?

Thanks!

Odd. Both the PF and 4e versions I have of the standalone adventure have the stats fixed. Where did you get it? EN World, DriveThruRPG? In any event, sure, let me upload the proper text. Gimme a minute.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
Wayfarer4e.png

I may just happen to be listening to Pink Floyd right now.
WayfarerPF.png

ediz

Explorer
Yes it is the description part which is identical to the dice from the Lucky Dice Focus thoughts.

Lucky Dice Ki Focus Thoughts Keep these two six-sided dice in your pocket. They’re good luck. Aura faint (divination) Slot none; Weight 3lbs.; Price 15,000gp. Description The wielder of these dice adds +1 to their maximum ki pool if they possess the ki pool ability. When the wielder rolls these dice, they can yield any number they want. Numbers outside the range of 2-to-12 will be quite suspicious. Special The player owning these dice picks one d20 they own and only ever use it for attack rolls. Don’t let anyone touch this dice but them. Once per session if the selected dice rolls badly, they’re allowed to make a “cleansing” re-roll get the bad numbers out. If the owner violates these rules, they must bury the offending die and purchase a new die to replace it.

ediz

Explorer
Quick question, how much different is the lantern found in the smokestack versus the original one? Or is it exactly the same? My group followed Luc in Trekhom and discovered he had placed the lantern and did not get caught, the next night in Nalaam they found it and are going to take it but I am not sure how much different it is from the original.

efreund

Explorer
I'm just a dope on the forums, but here's how I presented it in my campaign:

The copy that Luc carried around with him is the "development prototype." I described it to my players as being pretty rough around the edges, and had obviously been taken apart and reassembled many, many times. It was clearly a labor of love, and had the (literal and figurative) fingerprints of the inventor all over it. (Incidentally, underscoring this point really made the PCs feel they've achieved an emotional 'win' against the Ob, having stolen something so valuable to them, not just looted another piece of gear.) I also told them that these little clues would give them a small bonus to Know:Arcana and Know:Engineering to 'reverse engineer' the thing, should they want to figure out how it worked.

The copy in the top of the train was the "production prototype." I described it as physically smaller than the first lantern, but that was just due to cramming the components closer together and more efficient packaging: none of the important bits were actually scaled down (kindof like a laptop versus desktop computer). It also had far fewer scratches and other signs of tinkering. It's also slightly less beautiful, as it if was assembled by a (very intelligent) person following instructions, rather than lovingly handcrafted. I think I also said this one was a bit more durable (higher hardness, same HP), should it be faced with trauma (hence why it can be loaded on top of a train, whereas the other one needs a case). Which can be relevant, depending on how the climax plays out.

Having the contrast allows the players to see that there is an engineering and rollout process at work, and hint strongly that they [the Ob] are about to make a bunch of these.

As far as functionality goes, they are identical, but their utility differed due to packaging:

The "dev prototype" was stored in that huge case that you always see Luc lugging around. I described the inside of the case to have a big foam cut-out for the lantern, but also ten small cut-outs in the foam, each containing a different vial of oil, marked with a symbol on top. This way the PCs were given a couple doses of other-planar-witchoil to play with. I figured he'd keep them together for all those demos he was doing.

The "production prototype" was merely preloaded with (bleak gate) witchoil.

Last edited:

ediz

Explorer
Thanks. I figured there a fairly large sized reservoir connected by a tube to the lantern, prepped with the Nem oil for the trap.

kcannell

Explorer
Question about The Wayfarer's Lantern.

Part of the description reads:
"Each ounce of oil is effectively a consumable item of level 10, 15, or 20 (costing 200, 1000, or 5000 gp). The level, based on how much meteor dust the oil contains, determines the strength of the effect. A given ounce of oil must be attuned to a specific plane."

However, there's no further description detailing how these different power levels will work. I ask this because my players kept all the barrels of meteorite samples that the two Ob researchers in Knutpara had collected, as well as the lanterns that the agents used to test out the different effects on the prisoners.

So how does this work?

Oh, that might be a 4e artifact. In 4e, am item's level determines the attack bonus when it tried to affect you. In 4e you attack people's Fort, Ref, and Will, which is a flat number like AC.

In PF, making the DC would be fine, but it's not necessary because PF saves go up at a rate of 1 per 2 or 3 levels, so lower DCs can still pose a threat. In 4e, saves tended to go up 1 for 1 as you level, so low level attacks are useless.

It's one of the things about the system I most disliked.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases