Dragons DR/magic=no Dragon DR

satori01

First Post
I will preface this by saying that I have only just received my new 3.5 books, so if this an overeaction spawned by ignoragnce then by all means slap some sense into me!

The post title pretty much says it all, if Dragons now have DRx/Magic then basicaly Dragons do not have DR at all.
No one is going to go Dragon Hunting w/o a magic weapon.
That DR20/Magic is useless against a +1 sword.

This flies in the face of convention and frankly mythology, were often times special magic swords were needed to slay dragons,(erm can we say perfect oportunity for adamantium, especially given that adamantium is now the metal of choice for dwarves and dwarves and Dragons are often associatied as hating each other).

Sure maybe Dragons needed to be toned down a bit, maybe, but this feels so disengenious to me, like tricky legislation that promises to do something but is really toothless.

GRRR!!!

Staffan

Legend
Let's take a look at the red dragon in 3.0 for comparison, and see what it's CR is at the levels where it gets/increases DR.

DR 5/+1 as a young adult, CR 12.
DR 10/+1 as a mature adult, CR 17.
DR 15/+2 as very old, CR 20.
DR 20/+3 as a wyrm, CR 23.

Are you seriously telling me that these were any more relevant than just having DR X/magic? How many characters did you see at 12th level that didn't have magic weapons?

Oh, and just to see that it's not an anomaly of the red dragon, here's for the white as well:
DR 5/+1 at CR 7.
DR 10/+1 at CR 11.
DR 15/+2 at CR 16.
DR 20/+3 at CR 18.

The only difference from DR X/magic is at CR 16+, where I'd be very surprised if people didn't have +2 weapons anyway.

hong

WotC's bitch
Facts:

1. Dragons are mammals.
2. Dragons fight ALL the time.
3. The purpose of a dragon is to flip out and kill people.

Hong "loves dragons with all of his body (including his pee pee)" Ooi

Wippit Guud

First Post
You go make 4 level 20 characters, I'll make a CR 20 dragon, and without even knowing what your characters have, I'll beat the snot out of them.

It shouldn't matter what a dragon's DR is, they shouldn't even be hit with a weapon at all, if the dragon has any sense.

Pbartender

First Post
That DR prevents the Commoners from killing dragons with a hoard of farming implements. That DR forces that huddled masses to hire a group of adventurers to kill the dragon when it ravages the countryside. That DR provides jobs for thousands upon thousands of PCs.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
hong said:
Facts:

1. Dragons are mammals.
2. Dragons fight ALL the time.
3. The purpose of a dragon is to flip out and kill people.

Hong "loves dragons with all of his body (including his pee pee)" Ooi

Ah, the first funny of the morning. Goes great with a cup of coffee.

As far as the topic goes, I agree with Staffan.

Technik4

First Post
Well, its true Dragon DR is only about as useful as it was in 3.0. However, have you checked out the new templates? For instance if you add the Fiendish template it would appear to make the DR 10/Magic AND Good necessary to overcome it.

Additionally if the occasional dragon has Adamantine DR, what are the adventurers going to do about it?

Technik

Knight Otu

First Post
I certainly would have preferred a different DR for dragons. But as others have said, it is not that much of a change to 3E.

Knight "Doesn't 5/adamantine have a nicer ring to it?" Otu

Remove ads