Not With a Bang OOC

LazarusLong42

First Post
Edit, 5 December 2003: New player recruited!

------------

Edit, 4 December 2003: Having lost two players and gained one, I'd like to recruit someone to be an eighth player. If you're interested, please take a look at this thread and the IC thread, then post here if you're interested. The party currently consists of a rogue, a paladin, a fighter, a bard, a cleric, a ranger, and an evoker, so it's pretty balanced and just about any class could fit in easily. --LL

------------

All right. I guess it's time for me to just go ahead and set this up, and let the chips fall where they may. I've been thinking for some time about starting a game here, but worried that "it won't be good enough"... as I'd be completely new to PbP DMing. But, hey, you all can be the judges of that. I'm also relatively new to DMing in general, so any feedback you have will be eagerly accepted.

The basic stats:

• Homebrew world, including a homebrew theology (potential Clerics should ask about deities :));
  • Core 3.5 rules, with very few house rules (see below); feats etc. from other books allowable via inquiry;
  • Ad hoc stats, though I reserve the right to tone them down if you're ridiculously overpowered;
  • No monstrous characters. Elves are almost unheard of where you'll be starting, so no elves. Half-elves and half-orcs are rare. Other races are available in quantity;
  • Starting at first level, maximum starting gold for your class.

A few other things:

I'm more interested in interesting characters than in interesting stats. I'd love to feel enough about the characters that if they die, I'm saddened by it. I'll only accept characters that come complete with a background.

The first bit of adventure will be rather dungeon-crawly. This is partially to get your characters some XP, and partially because even though it may seem that it wouldn't, it fits with the plot. Trust me. :D

I have one major peeve: Netspeak. If you believe that "ur" is two words, rather than a miscapitalized proper noun referring to an ancient Mesopotamian city, then we're not going to get along.

I think that's it. I'll post later tonight with some background about the world. House rules follow.

------------

House rules:

(1) Spell Focus back to +2;
(2) Perform... if anyone takes a Bard we'll discuss it, but something more useful to Bards than the 3.5 rules;
(3) Half-elves receive human skill points and 1st-level bonus feat, but lose the effective Negotiator feat they were given in 3.0. (of course, you may still choose the Negotiator feat).

------------

Current (likely) players:

Rybaer: Bellows Axegrinder, Dwarf Evoker
Zerth: Baril Kibizin, Human Bard
Casar Couer De' Lion: Nojin Silverspike, Dwarf Fighter
Sam: Grunlor Forgeheart, Dwarf Paladin
Toric_Arthendain: Brevin Inathe, Human Cleric (Litsi)
Manzanita: Arkan Far Traveler, Half-Elven Ranger
Argent Silvermage: Selene Ravensclaw, Halfing Rogue
------------

World Information:

The Kingdom of Mezentil is on its last legs. The Ressim Dynasty has held power in Mezenti, the largest city of the Denaril continent, for nearly two hundred years, but politics are finally getting in the way of that power. Alliances between the Duchies of the Kingdom are shifting, even as the Duchies slowly lose power to a combination of their own bureaucracy and the slow rise of the proletariat. Dukes and even some of the more ambitious Marquesses are locked in a power struggle, the outcome of which will be indeterminate for many years, most likely. In the meantime, though, other powers are rising.

Rumors speak of a dark wizard, living by himself on an island to the west. His army of undead have been known to come onto the mainland, raiding the shores of Tillimei and Calatis, once reaching as far as the city of Mestra before being driven back by an army of clerics. Few know what he's up to there, and even fewer are speaking.

------------

Maps:

(1) The Denaril Continent (prime section). This is an overview map showing the duchies of the Mzentil Kingdom. A couple of notes: (a) this is the Southern hemisphere; Mezenti is at about 45 degrees latitude, and the bottom of the map is around 70 degrees latitude, near where the icecap starts. The continent actually continues to the other side of Mizana (the name of the planet); (b) the Nomatassei is not part of the Kingdom; that's where the Elves live, generally secluded from all the rest of the races. Damned elves. :) (c) the mountainous area near the middle of the continent is the area most likely to see Orc infestations and so forth. Tread with caution.

(2) The Colinna area. You'll be starting either in Colinna or in Alten's Rock--I haven't quite decided yet. Colinna, the capital of the duchy of Colinna and the home of Duke Iobin Desell, has about 50,000 people; Alten's Rock, an important trade stop because of its proximity to the River Nom (the larger river), has about 5,000 people. If you're interested in having your character (though not the party) originate elsewhere, let me know where (a city, the country, north, south, etc.)

------------

Astrography:

Mizana, the third planet of the Telenn system, is home to the Mezentil Kingdom, as well as several other continents' worth of people. Mizana has two moons: Rinell, a large moon which sits at the second LaGrange point and thus is always directly opposite the sun Telenn; and Litsi, a small moon with an eccentric, somewhat erratic, very fast, and nearly polar orbit. Litsi orbits Mizana every three days or so.

Always visible near the direction of the vernal equinox--except when it's eclipsed by Telenn or Rinell--is a very dark red star, Gaitann, which is co-orbital with Telenn.

And, because I'm just that big of a dork, you can take a look at the orbital elements of Mizana and Litsi (Rinell's orbit is determined by Mizana's) in this document. Also in this document is the calendar, if you're interested.

If I could actually do the math, I'd know where Litsi was in the sky at any given time... and I'd be far too obsessive. :D

------------

Pantheon:

Many of the greater gods of Mizana are directly associated with an astronomical body--and in fact have great power over that body, if they wish it. Rinell, for instance, stabilizes his moon so that it can sit at L2, rather than letting its orbit degenerate. He's very... stable like that.

Also of interest: there are no race-specific gods. The elves and dwarves, gnomes and halflings were worshipping these gods long before humans appeared on the scene. You may take your racial domain (from the FRCS) if you wish to do so, no matter your patron.

Finally, only clerics truly have Patrons. Like the Greeks, most inhabitants of Mizana pretty much believe in all of the major gods, and pray to one or another when specific guidance is wished in a certain area. Clerics do choose a Patron god or goddess, though commune and similar spells may end up being answered by another god or goddess, depending on the specific information sought.

On to the gods:

Telenn, god of the sun, AKA Lightbringer, He Who Shines. NG, portfolio includes light, goodness, protectors, defense. Domains: Good, Sun, Healing, Protection, Strength.

Litsi, goddess of the inner moon, AKA Moondancer, the Swift Moon. CG, portfolio includes messengers, fools, jokes, and speed. Domains: Chaos, Good, Speed (custom domain), Travel, Trickery.

Rinell, god of the outer moon, AKA He Who Waits, the Great Judge. LN, portfolio includes judges, law, long-term planning. Domains: Law, Patience (custom domain), Moon, Air, Planning.

Mizana, goddess of the world, AKA Mother of All. N, portfolio includes druids, rangers, nature. Domains: Animal, Earth, Healing, Plant, Renewal.

Mossos, god of time, AKA Father Time, the First Historian. N, portfolio includes bards, historians, knowledge. Domains: Time, Speed, Patience, Knowledge, Luck.

Gaitann, goddess of the red star, AKA the Brooder, the Watcher. LE, portfolio includes fear, tyranny, destruction. Domains: Destruction, Evil, Fire, Law, Tyranny.

Lesser gods to come later, likely tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sam

First Post
I'm game. I've got our regular in-person game tonight, but I'll post a character tomorrow. Thinking dwarven fighter (maybe paladin).

Rybaer

First Post
I'm interested. Could you give us a couple paragraph world primer...something that might help us with developing a character backstory that fits with your world?

Tentatively leaning toward creating a dwarven wizard. Might be intested in a cleric of some sort, pending on what your homebrew pantheon is like.

Shalimar

First Post
I haven't had any experience with D&D, but quite a bit with other gaming systems, and I'd love to try out a female rogue. I have a character background, but I wanted to ask first. I don't have the revised PHB, but I do have access to the SRD, so creation wont be a problem if some one can give me the starting gold forthe rogue class.

I'm interested too. Not sure what race or class at this point. I'll probably wait until you post the world background before committing to a particular race and class.

Toric

I Play it all

Im interested, as I feel homebrews lead to the best games. I will play nearly anything so I can sit back and wait to fill in a whole for the group or wait till the world background sparks something for me to play.

Zerth

First Post
I see there's already six people before me. I don't know how many players you had considered, Lazarus, but I'd be interested too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases