Not With a Bang OOC

LazarusLong42

First Post
A bunch of game-mechanic stuff:

(1) Kelta will gladly accept Tuli's help if she's willing, and will happily give her free room and board for a few nights if she helps out, especially in the early evenings. Now, about those Sleight of Hand checks...

Lurking around town in the evenings, Tuli is certain to find a purse or two to grab each night. You notice two easy marks this evening, and one each of the next two evenings. The second one this first evening seems to be a realtively large score. (All of these opportunities happen at the edges of the town square.) Do you intend to take all the available opportunities?

(2) Baril's Gather Info checks: First, are you looking for any other specific information?

As to what's going on around town: Your general Bardic Knowledge reminds you that there's a festival of some sort coming up in the area. Inquiring about it, you find out that the Festival fo the Winds starts in about three weeks. It's a rather large Festival, and people from the outlying Baronies and Free Cities will travel to Colinna for it.

You also get the sense, just from the people in the Hog's Back, that you're unlikely to have any competition, at least from Alten's Rock residents. None of the other pubs or inns has a posting, and the general sentiment from the people is that it's a great opportunity, but very few would be able to get away from, or risk losing, what they normally do.

One other odd rumor you hear is that the recent talks about a trade agreement between Sum Sorrel and Colinna have been soured. the person you speak with--and it takes you a few drinks to get it out of him--mentions something about the two duchies trying to build a road through the Nomatassei. He also thinks the business is laughable, and figures the Elves will allow said road to be built sometime shortly after pigs start flying.

(3) Nojin is now, officially, drunk. Kelta's ale isn't exactly weak, and as she knows she can deal with a drunk dwarf more easily than a rowdy, sober dwarf, she's been spiking your ale with some more potent stuff as well. For the record: increasing Fort saves vs. poison starting at DC 5 for the first drink, +2 for each subsequent; you failed the DC 13 save for the fifth drink. You will pass out if you keep drinking, and I've already rolled for it (second failed save), but I'm not going to tell you when yet. <evil grin>

(4) Tanstaafl: Nylarra's father almost certainly has horses readily available to him, and the people in the stables probably know 'Larra. It would be within her temperament, especially given their fight, for her to grab a horse and ride--of course, it would be several days' ride.

You'd be unlikely to find a cart going from Colinna to Alten's Rock, and would be much more likely to have floated downstream on a barge, about a week's trip. If Nylarra were willing to work her way along, the trip would have been free.

(5) Sam: Actually, it's not all that strange to see so many travellers in town all at once. Remember that, because of its location at the confluence of the River Colinna and the River Nom, Alten's Rock has become a minor commercial hub, and often sees travellers. Anyway... here's hoping the Grunlor can deal with a drunk dwarf. :)

(6) Manzanita: Something we should know about Arkan? :) Here's hoping we find out what's troubling her.

OK... I think that's *about* it. :) I hope you're enjoying things so far, and we'll say Tuesday for the 'deadline,' at which point y'all will get to meet Melian.

Shalimar

First Post
Tuli wont take all of the opportunities, she'll stop after her first, maybe only one over thecourse of the three day, she isn't greedy, she justs likes to be a little bit flush, and to stay in practice, although its more of a failure to supress her habits then needing the practice.

Tuli would love to help Kelta at nights if Kelta was willing to provide room and board, and a story or two about her parents.

Other than spending time with his friends (Tuli and Baril), Brevin will explore Alten's Rock, trying to get a feel for the layout and what types of services can be had in town. He'll look for any temple, church or shrine to Litsi and pay his respects if he finds one.

Manzanita

First Post
Arkan's crying for a reason. It's a rather minor one in the sceme of things, and no one may ask to find out. If she has three days to kill, she will get a room in the Hog's Inn, and scout around.

Zerth

First Post
LazarusLong42 said:
A bunch of game-mechanic stuff:

(2) Baril's Gather Info checks: First, are you looking for any other specific information?

You pretty much covered everything in the previous post, but Baril might also ask around if anyone knows anything about Melian. Baril really doesn't expect much, but you never know. At least he'll know if Melian is well-known or someone very mysterious, probably using false identity.

LazarusLong42

First Post
Toric: Alten's Rock is a large town, and just about any service you want, you'll be able to find. There are even a couple of stores which will be willing to sell you magic items, though they may not have a great selection. The most prominent of these is a shop near the Hog's Back Inn, called Zazel's Inordinate Items. Zazel, a halfling, appears to have a very interesting assortment of items, very few of which any of you are likely to currently be able to afford.

There are several small temples in Alten's Rock: one to Litsi, one to Telenn, and one to Ossil and Essil, the twin gods of Luck.

Manzanita: I'd love to know why, as it might turn into a plot hook. Feel free to email me if you don't wish to post it publicly.

Zerth: You can't seem to find out anything more about Melian; the most anyone knows about him is that he posted that sign. Even Kelta's not sure of much about him except that he was in her inn, and didn't eat much.

Shalimar: On your first night in Alten's Rock, you notice a well-dressed man with a very loose purse. You're able to lift it deftly without him noticing a thing. You come away with 10 gp, some small trinkets of effectively no worth, and some scraps of paper with writing that's almost indecipherable, but you get the sense that they're transaction records of some sort.

All: One note about Alten's Rock: it is one of the Free Cities I alluded to earlier. It does not fall under the control of any of the surrounding Baronies, and while the town elders harbor no resentment toward the nobles, the nobles may well harbor a bit of resentment toward Alten's Rock.

Also, though some of this might normally be posted in the IC thread, it doesn't fit with the current flow of plot in said IC thread... but it needed taking care of, which is why it's here.

Try to wrap up the most excellent character-building tonight and tomorrow; tomorrow evening I'll post your meeting with Melian, and we'll move forward from there.

LazarusLong42

First Post
I'm going to assume there's nothing left that you're interested in pursuing with Melian, so I'll wrap this scene up later tonight and get y'all moving toward the thieves' hideout. If there's anything else you did want to do, we can always retcon it back in (within reason of course :))

Edit: Oh yes... marching order? Watch order? Can we set these up now, and assume they're standard unless y'all want to change them? :)

Last edited:

Shalimar

First Post
Tuli will march close to the front, but not at the front. Its mostly an impatience and curiosity thing. She;ll Take the first watch of every night, if she can get away with it, and considering her diplomacy ranks and charisma she probably can.

Suggested Order

Alright I came up with my suggestion for watch and marching order. Throw opinions and changes in as you like, but i thought if we put a base to work from things would move faster.

Watch 1: Tuli, Grunlor, Brevin
Watch 2: Nojin, Bellows
Watch 3: Nylarra, Baril, Arkan

Marching order:

When moving in open area:
Point: Arkan
Front Line (30 yards behind): Nojin, Grunlor
Flank: Tuli (when not on point Arkan would be here)
Tank Support (intsta heal): Brevin
Middle: Rybaer
Rear Guard: Baril, Nylarra

Like I said just suggestions but its a starting point

Manzanita

First Post
Arkan is very happy to take the point in a wilderness setting. She wouldn't have it any other way (tho she would share it with Tuli if she were so inclined).

Those watches are pretty thick. At only three sets, we'd have to stop for 12 hours to get 8 hours of sleep. Since there are 8 of us, shouldn't we all take a one hour shift? Arkan will take whatever, not needing to ready spells or anything.

Arkan was crying over her dead horse (mentioned in her background.) No big deal really, other than her loyalty and affection for animals.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases