D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Help with Ranger build (medium-long)

Tar-Edhel

First Post
Hi guys

We're starting a new campaign based on 3.5 rules. I've decided to play a ranger in a group composed so far of a bard, a war cleric and me. As you can see, no 'real' front fighters so it is a role I expect to assume more often than I should as a ranger.

I've rolled good, albeit unexciting, scores: 15, 13, 13, 13 13, 12.

I have 2 character concepts

Crazy Mary (Human f ranger, CN)

STR: 13
DEX: 15
CON: 13
INT: 13
WIS: 13
CHA: 12

Skill points: 32
Feats (2): Point Blank shot, Dodge
Favored enemy: Magical beasts

AC: 15 (16 with dodge)
HP: 9

Weapons: Long bow, longsword
Armor: Masterwork Studded leather

Her family lived near a marsh, not far from a little backwater village where they acted as healers. Her family shunned by the villager, Mary spent most of her time in the woods, where she hunted more out of boredom than real interest. She hates her family for making her an outcast and will jump in the fist occasion to leave (thus joining the rest of the party, following them for a few days from afar before making her presence known).

She is followed everywhere by a mongrel dog that she takes decent care of, even if she is not the 'kind' type with animal (nor with people). She is first and foremost an archer but her good AC (for a 1st level) and her longsword should make her a force to recon in melee.

Would it be a good idea to consider taking the spring attack feas? Will I ever use spring attack, once I get iterative attacks? It's been a while since played a fighter type ;)

Khonwulf the caver (Dwarven m Ranger, CG)

STR: 15
DEX: 13
CON: 15
INT: 13
WIS: 13
CHA: 10

Skill points: 28
Feats (1): Weapon focus
Favored enemy: Aberrations

AC: 14
HP: 10

Weapons: Throwing axes,
Armor: Masterwork Studded leather

I am hesitating between choosing the Urgrosh as melee weapon (Khonwulf will a a two-weapon fighter and will take the relevant ranger combat styles) and a dwarven waraxe and a handaxe. Eventually, I'd like him to wield two dwarven waraxes.

Khonwulf is your atypical dwarf. Always skulking in the underdark, he chased aberrations with a passion that was stronger than clan or family ties. He was considered an outsider by his fellow dwarves and they never seriously searched for him when ghe disappeared in a raid against chokers that were threatening the community.

Khonwulf simply decided to track down a choker that had fled for his life. He tracked him out of the caves he always lived in and travelled for two days in the woods before catching him and putting an end to its miserable life. Being lost and far from a home that never really mattered to him, he decided to explore the outside world until he met the party's bard in a tavern and became friend with him, joining the party on their request. He discovered he had a lot of affinity with human, that were a lot less rigid than his dwarven compatriot. He has rapidly become a very talkative and joyful dwarf, even if he remained the sneaky type.

So here are the questions (finally ;) )

Are my feats choices ok? Any recommendations or alternatives I should consider?

What weapon would you recommend? Is the Urgrosh a good choice? Should I stick with the double-wielding axes dwarf? The goal is not to min-max too much but the fact that I'll be the party's fighter forces me to consider boosting my melee skills.

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions. I was even considering a monk but I am afraid he won't be able to hold the fighter's role for too long, not as much as the ranger IMHO. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Zerth

First Post
Are my feats choices ok? Any recommendations or alternatives I should consider?

Your feat selection is just fine, but like you said there's always alternatives. For the archer, I like your starting feats, dodge and point-blank shot. I wouldn't go for spring attack, though. It's just not a good choice for an archer. I'd consider shot on the run instead. It also has dodge and mobility as prerequisites (with point-blank shot) and would be much more useful to this character than spring attack.

Weapon focus is essential for the dwarf if you plan on using two waraxes at higher levels. You would have a higher to hit penalty, because wouldn't have a light weapon in the other hand.

WF wouldn't be a bad choice even if you chose the urgrosh instead.

What weapon would you recommend? Is the Urgrosh a good choice? Should I stick with the double-wielding axes dwarf? The goal is not to min-max too much but the fact that I'll be the party's fighter forces me to consider boosting my melee skills.

At higher levels, the two waraxes would do better damage with TWF. The urgrosh could be used as a two-handed weapon, if needed. Though really effective only if you take power attack later. Whatever pleases you.

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions. I was even considering a monk but I am afraid he won't be able to hold the fighter's role for too long, not as much as the ranger IMHO. Am I wrong?

If it's a frontline fighter you need, don't make a monk. Monk could be ok in that role, but would need far better stats. That's the one thing, that still bothers me with the monk in 3.5 - they are too stat-dependent.

Ferret

Explorer
I'd would have say'd the human, but I would have played the Dwarven Ranger for the hell of it. Before you start with the urgosh look into throwing axes and taking the archery path for something more unorthadox.

Tar-Edhel

First Post
Thanks for the tips guys.

I might stick with the Dwarven ranger. My plan is to focus on Dwarven waraxe (with a hand axe as off hand weapon), until my BAB is high enough to wield 2 waraxes.

Throwing axes are definitely in but I'll still focus on the two weapon style.

The game is in 1/2 hour. Can't wait to see him in action :)

Remove ads