• Char Gen that came with Player's Handbook

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • HeroForge

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 19 25.0%

smetzger

Explorer
I use my Monster program because it outputs statblocks for monsters very easily.
I also use my FasterTools program because it allows me to specify class, level, and ability scores and then it will out put skill ranks, feats, and domains.

rexartur

Explorer
programs used

I use Milieu's WeatherMaster for ummm, weather. But I also keep a diray of major events in the notes section. I use trhe core rules Dice Demo (makes multiple rolls easy). Steve's 3E DND Spellsheet. Emiricol's Living Web encounter spreadsheet. Just about every generator on Jamis Buck's site. Steve's 3E character sheet. Stefan Rademacher's XP-calculator. And excel sheets of my own design to monitor passage of time and events, a timeline, and a combat manager that tracks intiative order, status, current hit points vs. total hit points, subdual points, current speed in various modes of travel, & a hit location chart based on hit roll vs. AC stats (this last I have linked to the character sheet so that when a PC's stats change, so do the hit locations as they are rolled. I am a mean DM. If a shot hits someone's armor, it has the potential of being damage a la the Diablo rules. Of course the same applies to weapons.

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
I use DM's Familiar, well, because I wrote it. :) It would be kind a silly if I didn't use something I wrote. It's also pretty darn handy in my baised opinion.

WeatherMaster to do weather.

Tablesmith for random tables.

Jamis Buck Treasure generator for "random" treasure. I say "random" because I usally keep rolling until I get a result I like.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I use Master Tools beta for NPCs, PCs, and monster stat blocks, equipment, and treasure. Even buggy it is very, very quick and useful to me, particularly the copy-n-paste stat block inside the program. Then again I'm playing mostly core rules and very few prestige classes. When I get to a char with a prestige class that's not in the program (anything not in the DMG), I just give him levels in something "close" in terms of hp, saves, attack bonus, and then edit the stat block by hand for special abilities (removing ones he doesn't have and adding ones he gets for the PrC levels).

I heavily rely on Bob Fitch's and Steve Mulhern's spell sheets -- I hate cracking open books during the game, and having charts of NPC spells (or PC spells for that matter) is just a huge benefit to me. (I hope Steve updates his spell sheet to include the past couple of class books if nothing else -- go Steve!). I copy the charts from Excel into my web editor or MS Word to make a nice chart like this one: http://webpages.charter.net/ericnoah/noahrpg/vangkor_spells.htm

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I use Jamis Buck's Generators for random treasue and faceless NPCs. I use Microsoft Word for everything else.

Edit: OK, I admit, I also use my dragon generator when I have dragons I need to make.

Last edited:

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Programs I wrote:

- TableSmith: Random names, descriptions, etc., etc.

- Campaign Sage: I use my laptop when I DM, so I use this to access various charts, monster stats, spell info, campaign maps, etc. (that reminds me - the monster/spell info is from the SRD...I should probably upload it for others to use)

- Campaign Minstrel: An unreleased tool I use to play MP3s and WAVs during the game (background music, SFX, etc.)

Other tools:

- Excel: Everyone's favorite :) I have a spreadsheet I've put together for keeping track of in-game information: character summary, treasure inventories, combat tracking, session logs, NPC info, etc.

- MyInfo: An outliner tool from Milenix (http://www.milenix.com/myinfo/); I use it to organize world information (towns, kingdoms, etc.)

- Campaign Cartographer 2/Paint Shop Pro: Maps

Eternalknight

First Post
Doesn't anyone use my program, DM Buddy??? :( :( :(

On a related note, if anyone is willing to share their ideas on Excel genrators I'd be interested to know :)

Taralon

First Post
I use DM's Familiar for planning and running my game, and Fractal Mapper for Maps.

Both of these programs are excellent!

Last edited:

Remove ads