[FFD20] Let's Mass our Forces, and Rebuild our Power

Pengin

First Post
Speaking from how I've used Red Mages in FF1 parties in the past I've often made him my secondary fighter and had him using spells a lot more sparingly than my actual mages. His magic was more of a nice boon but not what I usually had him do. You could say that in my mind a Red Mage might think of doing something other than casting spells.

However, Drogerthy, I like the Red Mage laid out in your document. I feel that one could actually play the Red Mage and still be useful in combat. Capping them at 6th level magic shows their limits (though I think 7th would work just as well) but giving them an average BAB and some weapon proficiencies rounds them out rather nicely.

It looks like you based them almost exactly off of D&D bards, which isn't such a bad thing. But D&D bards, in addtion to the abilties printed here, have a few more things that round them out as a viable class. They do get the mage-related feats but I feel that could be removed in favor of other things.

Some changes I might make (other than the 7th level spell limit listed above) is giving them medium armor proficiency and martial weapon proficiency. Then again, I also see them as more martial than you do, so it's a bit more of a stylistic difference. I would give Red Mages the ability to ignore arcane spell failure from light armor (though certainly not medium) so they can fight armed and still cast spells like they did in FF1.

Those are just some suggestions; I think the three mage classes look pretty tight as is. I especially like the healing and elemental focus of the white and black mages, and the work on the spells is nice.

-Karl

Pengin

First Post
drothgery said:
One thing that will need to figure out at some point.

Are Ninjas spellcasters? Edge in FFIV was, but Yang wasn't, and if Ninja magic shows up in another FF, it's one I haven't played or haven't played much (I, II, III, V, or Tactics).

Are Dragoons? Freya was a caster in FFIX, but Kain in FFIV wasn't.

Edge's spells were very sparse and more like special abilities, and if I recall correctly the same was true of Freya. Their spells were a somewhat limited form of magic. If we were to implement them we'd probably have to make it feat based. Not all ninjas get spells and not all dragoons get spells but it would be unrealistic to have someone multi-class just a little to get six or eight abilities (like Edge or Freya.)

So yeah, maybe a feat system. I have no suggestion where that would start from, though. If we were to try different tech trees such abilities could spawn from those.

-Karl

drothgery

First Post
Pengin said:
However, Drogerthy, I like the Red Mage laid out in your document. I feel that one could actually play the Red Mage and still be useful in combat. Capping them at 6th level magic shows their limits (though I think 7th would work just as well) but giving them an average BAB and some weapon proficiencies rounds them out rather nicely.

It looks like you based them almost exactly off of D&D bards, which isn't such a bad thing. But D&D bards, in addtion to the abilties printed here, have a few more things that round them out as a viable class. They do get the mage-related feats but I feel that could be removed in favor of other things.

Actually, I started with a Psychic Warrior (the White and Black mage are both modified Psions). Then I gave them the Bard's weapon and armor proficiencies and spells known progression (which is better than the PsiWar's powers discovered progression), knocked them down to d6 hit dice, and gave them a more intellectual skill list.

While my Red Mages don't have the nifty special abilities of a Bard (or a PsiWar), and don't get high-level spells, they do have a really broad spell selection, and I gave them more magic feats than anyone else.

I'm tempted to give them some sort of artificer special ability, because the Red Mage I wrote up would be excellent at making magic items, which doesn't take a lot of high-level spells, but does take feats.

Pengin said:
Some changes I might make (other than the 7th level spell limit listed above) is giving them medium armor proficiency and martial weapon proficiency. Then again, I also see them as more martial than you do, so it's a bit more of a stylistic difference. I would give Red Mages the ability to ignore arcane spell failure from light armor (though certainly not medium) so they can fight armed and still cast spells like they did in FF1.

It's mentioned under 'Magic System' that my Red Mages ignore arcane spell failure while wearing Light Armor, but I've added Armored Casting as an explicit ability (and did so for Paladins as well).

Pengin said:
Those are just some suggestions; I think the three mage classes look pretty tight as is. I especially like the healing and elemental focus of the white and black mages, and the work on the spells is nice.

Thanks.

Pengin

First Post
Psi Warrior...

Ah, I was wondering where you got the MP values from. Then again I've never read the Psionics Handbook. Go figure.

-Karl

Drake Masters

First Post
PP costs

Well, Psionic powers vary greatly from game type. In dnd however, there is a set pp cost for each power, I believe, however in d20 modern, there is a pp cost set for each level. By the way, creamsteak, I downloaded the two pdf files you posted, I havent gotten a chance to fully read them yet, but a good job so far.

drothgery

First Post
Re: PP costs

Drake Masters said:
Well, Psionic powers vary greatly from game type. In dnd however, there is a set pp cost for each power, I believe,

There is, but if you look at it, it's always twice the power level - 1 (excepting maintenance costs).

Drake Masters

First Post
Re:Re:pp costs

Not to mention (and all I have to go on is the D20 version of Psionics) that any one psion class has the use of 0 level powers three free times per day, after that it costs them one pp per use. Am I correct?

drothgery

First Post
Re: Re:Re:pp costs

Drake Masters said:
Not to mention (and all I have to go on is the D20 version of Psionics) that any one psion class has the use of 0 level powers three free times per day, after that it costs them one pp per use. Am I correct?

It's level+3 in D&D, IIRC (and I'm going off the SRD; I don't own the book).

Yep DrakeMasters, I kinda violated it a bit by posting a bit more than one idea in my post, whoops.

Have to violate it for this one two (just 2 ideas, tho):

If it hasn't already been stated, I really would suggest a Magic Points system for this game, in Final Fantasy tradition and it makes multiclassing in mage-type classes/PrCs easier.

I also would suggest for 2 versions of each class, minus the Apprentice/Chemist. Have one version a Core Class (20 level) and another Version a PrC (10 level), both having mainly the same abilities but the PrC perhaps toned down a bit and more scrunched together. Since different FF generes use different class groupings, this system could make them more easy to emulate.

Remove ads